- advertisement -

MM pump issue?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dqmomof3, Dec 6, 2010.

1. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Question for the MM users...do you have any issues with the pump when you are down to the low reservoir level? We have our low reservoir warning set at 20 units. Once the low reservoir alarm goes off, Jayden's blood sugar shoots up. She's only on 40 units or so a day, so 20 units should give us a good 12 hours. Instead, I go to change it and find the tubing full of air bubbles. It seems almost like the pump can't maintain the pressure when the reservoir is less full. Jayden put the pump in her boot last night, and her bg went from 150 to 486 in about an hour.

Does this sound like a pump problem to you, or do your pumps do this too?

Thanks!

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

I have noticed the same thing. I do not know if there are more little bubbles, or more big bubbles, pump action, insulin degrading, etc. I often just start trending up and will get more highs that appear to be a result of not enough basal. I need to be strict and just swap out by about the 10 to 15 units left. It can go just fine but often it means problems once i get below 10 units. Ali

3. Luke's Mom

Luke's Mom Approved members

You may be onto something -- Have only been pumping for a little over a month and earlier this evening we got that message for the first time - I told Luke to check himself and we would do a site change and he was higher than usual ... hmmmm...

I guess i've been putting too much in the reservoir and never had that message till today...

4. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

Yes, I think this is def. an issue. Because my daughter is so little, we usually only fill the resevoir half way. If we keep the same site/reservoir for three days, we usually start to experience much higher numbers by the end of the third day, when the reservoir is down to ~20 units. I was starting to think that it was because all of the little tiny bubbles were combining into much larger bubbles. And because her basal rate is so small, she must be missing a good percentage of her basal due to air pockets.

5. shekov

shekov Approved members

We have the same problem. TONS of bubbles out of nowhere when we get to low reservior.

I always change it out before we get to an alarm.

6. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I have ours set to alarm at 20 units and we try to change it by 15. Anything lower than that and she spikes until it's changed.

7. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Interesting - we have some of the same issues - had thought it was mb insulin degrading. Now I'm def leanining that way! I have at times just changed a reservoir in the am if its low but left the site change till later and Grace's numbers are b

8. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

That's supposed to be better!

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Interesting.. I don't really get this problem. I generally run a reservoir until it hits --.--, and sometimes leave it longer, until the "NO DELIVERY" alarm, and it's rare for me to get bubbles. Perhaps it's just a luck thing.. :confused:

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We also have issues unless we change out at 15 units or so. I have the low res alarm set at 20 units and try to get it changed shortly thereafter.

11. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

We have our low reservoir set at 10 units and have run it down to 2-8 units left and have never had a problem.

12. Mom2henry

Mom2henry Approved members

This just happenned to us during the past 2 changes-never made the connection as he has been running high for so long. It just so happens that I was shocked to see a large bubble in the reservior when I changed one of them out-I am so careful!

13. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

count us as the oddballs. We're set at 5u (or 10?) and we've gone nearly down to fumes and have no trouble.

14. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

This is weird, because our low reservoir used to be set on 10 units, and as far as I can remember, we never had a problem. Now it's set on 20, and we are having an issue. I don't know if it's a different lot of reservoirs, the pump itself, or what.

Oh well...I guess in addition to YDMV, we should add YPMV (your pump may vary!)

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We typically don't have any issues either.. unless its really hot out or we get down below 5u, which is rare. I only fill with 100u.