- advertisement -

Mississippi, Medicaid, what they DON'T cover!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by WendyFL, Oct 5, 2009.

1. WendyFL

WendyFL Approved members

This morning we went into the pharmacy to get test strips and pen needles for Jen. My kids are on Medicaid....and have always been (so that means, in Montana, and in Florida, and now here).

My husband had to go in to get the test strips and needles, because I had to leave the house to take my youngest to Speech therapy, before the pharmacy opened. When I got home, I found he'd had to pay copay (which, Medicaid isn't supposed to have a copay!). So I went in to the pharmacy to ask about that.

They told me that Medicaid in Mississippi does not cover needles of any kind!!! And for test strips, Medicaid won't cover them, unless the doctor calls in to Medicaid (or somehow notifies Medicaid) that this patient needs these test strips! I'm like, What?!!! I said, "That is a very bad law. Who do I contact about trying to get that changed???"

Is there anyone else on these forums who is in Mississippi, and their child is on Medicaid? Are there other states that are like this? Montana and Florida are not....at least they weren't when we lived there!

I mean, really, what is the point of taking insulin if you cannot administer it? How else can you administer insulin without needles? :confused::eek::rolleyes:

2. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I know that it has been changed in Texas, but when I was first diagnosed , all those years ago, Medicaid did not pay for the syringes either. Like you said, how are we supposed to use the insulin with out a needle.

So dumb!

3. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Michigan is not like that, just so you know. I wonder if they don't have a diabetes mandate in Mississippi?

4. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Just wondering if Medicaid is paying for CGM supplies here in Michigan? Our insurance is changing and we are not sure what Medicaid pays for and what it does not because we have only ever used it to cover some of her co pays. She is covered under her dad's insurance and is supposed to be for life, but things keep being taken away from us by his employer, left and right and that could be next. We have always had an HMO until now, because we were afraid of what Medicaid will and will not cover for her.

5. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

I don't think so.
    My dd is going today as a matter of fact to get her Navigator!
    We got through private insurance.
    Michigan also has another program which pays for all your copays.
    You pay a certain amount a month based on income.
    When I was signing up for this, I was asking the lady quite a few questions, and I belive she said that If I lost insurance, they would pay for practically everything, but NOT THE CGMS.
    I would double check.
    I also think she said they don't cover the pod? Someone correct me If I'm wrong.

6. WestinsMom

7. Melissata

That is what I thought, no pods and no CGM. That would really not work for us. Hopefully we will be able to avoid having to deal with Medicaid in the future. Her co pays with HAP are very low, nothing at all for the pods or the Navigator sensors. We will likely keep it even if the price goes up and we have to pay a deductible every year from now on even though it is an HMO. Just found out about this and haven't wanted to dive into it all yet.

8. Melissata

9. WestinsMom

I went through ever state on that link and it looks like Mississippi is the worse! Arkansas and Kentucky need some help too.

10. samheis

samheis Approved members

I'm in Texas so it may be different.
    But we had this problem when I switched to Medicaid. They wouldn't give us the test strips.
    What we ended up having to do is have the endo fill out a medical durability form where it lists each necessary prescription for the necessity of the child's life. Then we had to switch our prescription to a mail order pharmacy as they are the only ones autharized to hand out the strips through medicaid. Then they have to get a new prescription and a new durability form every 6 months to dispense the prescrtiptions.
    So now I get the insulin locally and everything else mail order.

You should be able to call the endo and tell them you have switched to medicaid and need help getting the supplies covered
    Good luck.

(sorry about typing, distracting babies are fun lol)

11. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Michelle,
    If you have time, could you list some of the best states for diabetes?
    Do you know how Indiana is?

12. WestinsMom

They don't give very detailed info. I was able to skim through it very fast.

I think MI does a great job. It could be better, but for state programs, it does a good job.

Being that the homeschool laws are so flexible, I really struggle with the desire to move.

13. amberdawn33

amberdawn33 Approved members

I am from Mississippi and I have private insurance but endo suggested we try to get CHIPS. When I went and applied I asked about if it covered the omnipod pump and they said no. I kept my private insurance and I'm glad. There is no way we could afford strips and needles. Sorry this is happening to you. I can definitely sympathetize with you. We have had lots of issues with insurance lately.

14. mollgirl

mollgirl Approved members

We have medicaid in Fl. and they cover everything. At one point there was a problem and the endo had to change the way the rx was written. We use CVS for everything and it has been fine.

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

What I find ironic is that MS has the highest percentage of people with diabetes in America, so you think they would make it easier, not harder, for people to get the supplies they need.

I am always dumbfounded when I hear the "we don't cover syringes, but we do cover insulin" comment!

16. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

17. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

you know the medicaid is just stupid. You know if a doctor writes out a prescription for what you child needs. Then they should cover it. My daughters is the same way. when she needs more. then they need further pre authorization or it needs to be written a certain way. or they will not cover it. stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

Our daughter has staywell through Florida Kidcare, and they are still like that. recently my daughter needed more supplies a month. and it has to be written a certain way, and or they need pre-authorization from the doctor, even if the doctor has a prescription filled out. its stupid!!!!!!

19. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

20. WestinsMom