- advertisement -

Mio?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by chrissy92972, Nov 14, 2012.

1. chrissy92972

chrissy92972 Approved members

My son is ten and he recently started using Mio's. He was using sure t's since 2008. Last night he ended up with Blood sugars over 600 and small ketones (he rarely ever gets ketones).

He had a site change around 7pm and then ate two granola bars and cheese. He covered the snacks and when he went to bed around 830, he was in the 500s. I covered the high with the pump (mistake number 1) and he went to sleep.

Around 10:30 when I went to bed he was over 600 on the meter. CGM just kept saying over 400, so I switched to a new Mio and found the kink in the first one. Gave him insulin through the pump. One hour later still over 600. Changed site to find another kink and switched to a sure t. Another hour later still over 600. Gave injection and then he finally began to drop. This morning he was 100 at 730am.

So my question is why does the MIO kink and what do I need to do to prevent that? Also how do you know that it is kinked before the blood sugar hits 500 or 600?

Thanks!

Chrissy
    Ryan age 10 Minimed 523, CGM and My Sentry diagnosed May 2008

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If it was an unusual outcome, then you may have just hit a bit of scar tissue or just had a bad set. If it's happening often then it may just not be a good infusion set for him. :cwds:

3. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Seems to me, we had a couple of Mios that caused us trouble when we first switched from Quicksets--that was a few years ago (whenever Mios were introduced). After that, dd has been using them exclusively for these last few years.

Failed sets are miserable; when we first started pumping-Silhouettes (angled set) gave dd highs--I still don't know if it was my error with insertion or the set; but I just switched to Quicksets and we didn't have that problem.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Both our CDE and pump rep recommended Silhouettes over Mios because my daughter is thin. They said kinking would be more problematic with the straight, rather than angled, cannula. We haven't tried anything else.

5. Gomod71

Gomod71 Approved members

Is your son using the 6mm or 9mm Mios?

We switched to the 9mm ones and haven't had any problems since - except for what seemed to be a bad batch in one box.

Yes, they can kink, we've had a few and man does it it cause havoc. Otherwise, we really like the Mios - former Sure T user here.

6. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

My dd is 12, rail thin and uses Mio 6 mm, no problems/kinks ever.
    My dh is not rail thin:rolleyes: and uses Mio 9mm, no kinks/problems either.

He is using the shorter tubing I'm assuming? I could see the long getting bunched up.

7. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

We've been using Mios for almost a year and a half and have had maybe 5 bad sets. They work for us. Sorry you are having trouble.:(

8. chrissy92972

chrissy92972 Approved members

We are at the end of our first box of Mio's plus the 4 samples that we used. So we are pretty new to them. Both times last night the site was put on the hip area once on the left and once on the right.

We have the 6mm with the 23 inch tubing. Before last night his blood sugars seemed to be so much better with the mio's then the sure t's now I am so afraid of the Mio's.

Waiting on the CDE to call me back to see what she wants us to use.

Thanks!!!

Chrissy

9. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

DD prefers Mio's and has no more problems with them than Silhouettes. Bad sites suck no matter what type is being used. DD can go forever without kinking one and then have a couple of bad ones in a row as you described. The resulting highs are frustrating as is the $20 we throw away each time one does not work.