- advertisement -

MiniMed vs. Ping

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by luluharper, May 25, 2009.

1. luluharper

luluharper Approved members

Hey everyone! Well, we had an appointment last week with our D team to talk about getting Dakota on the pump. It all went really well, she was willing to have a site put in to see how she liked it, and was quite disappointed when she realized we wouldn't be walking out with a pump that day. Hahaha. Anyways, the 2 pumps that they suggested were the MiniMed and the Ping I think it's called. I kind of liked the Ping because it comes with that remote so you don't have to pull the pump out everytime, which I think she would like better. I was wondering if anyone has any comments/feedback on either pump? Any drawbacks to either one, etc? I did ask the D Educator about the CGMS for the MiniMed, and that I liked the idea that later we could just add it to the pump. She said that was a good feature but that the Animas people were working on the same thing for the Ping. Anyways, any advice would be appreciated! Thanks,
    Leanne

2. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

We have the ping and love the remote and the waterproof feature. I do really wish it had the cgm built in though and since it's not here yet I don't know what it will take to upgrade.

The cons are that we've had three pumps so far and she's only been on it for 7 months. I think because the Pings are so new, they may still be working out the kinks. Just something to keep in mind. Animas does send out a new one right away, but that doesn't make me happy ever time we've had to get a new one.

On the plus side again now that the weather is getting nice, I'm really keen on the waterproof feature. Folks on the minimed unplug to swim, but we keep Ava's pump on.

3. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I do not think you can go wrong with either one. Those are the 2 that Kaleb could not decide between. I had a rep from both companies come to my house and let us play around with them.

Kaleb picked the PING because he liked the way it looks and that he could bolus from the remote without having to get the pump out of his pocket. He never uses it.

If you are interested in a CGM then MM would be your way to go.

I think you are going to love either one.

4. luluharper

luluharper Approved members

To Kalebs Mom, has he had to have his replaced often like the poster before you?

5. Christopher's Mom

Christopher's Mom Approved members

Chris has been on the animas Ping for 2 weeks and so far everything has been great. Looking forward to seeing how it works with swimming in a pool. I know we all get different info - but at the Toronto Conference there was talk that the CGM may not be the best choice for young kids?? Just what I heard, so that helped us with our decision to try the Ping.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We got our Ping in November and we haven't had to replace it once. We bolus 100% from the remote meter and love it. Right now, we use the Navigator CGMS even though the planned integrated one is Dexcom. Right now, I wouldn't want it integrated because that means I have to take the pump out to look at it. Right now, Emma's in her bed upstairs and I'm able to see the Navigator receiver sitting next to me on the couch. Integrated CGMS will be more important to us when Emma does more self-care, but right now, range is more important to me.

We love, love, love our Ping!

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

If you poke around the board, you'll see many young kids on CGM whose parents would not go without it. :cwds:

We chose the MM for the integrated CGM and we love it. I simply couldn't ask my then 4 year old to carry two devices around. We keep it in a clear-front pump pack, and occasionally I just lift up his shirt and look at it. Truly awesome.

The other advantage of integration is that you have all your pump info and all your CGM info in the same reports. It really helps when interpreting data or making changes.

They're both fine pumps and you'll like which ever one you choose. :)

8. jules12

jules12 Approved members

There is no wrong choice. Both are great pumps. I love our minimed with cgms. However, I have a boy and it is so much easier to wear his pump descretely. If I had a daughter, I would seriously consider the PING because she could wear a dress and not have to figure out how to "get to her pump."

I fretted over which pump to choice and still wasn't 100 percent sure I choose correctly - I can honestly say you will probably love either one. Just look at the different features and choose based on what you plan to do now.

9. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Yes, Kaleb did have to have one of his replaced. However, we have since figured out it was more than likely our error and nothing that the pump did. We had something set wrong which made the pump continue to warn that the pump was not primed. He now has his new one and we had the same message. I called Animas and they explained why it was happening. We fixed the settings and all is good now.

10. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

We've been on the MM and CGMS for about a year and a half and it's been great. We started both pretty close together, so it's difficult to say how much each has contributed to our improved control. I feel the CGMS has been a critical factor, and wouldn't consider giving it up.

Each has desirable features that the other lacks, and you can find many threads listing them. You can also download the user guides for each and see exactly how they work.

My advise would be to make a list of the features that are important to you today, and make your decision based on the features each has today.

Over time both will most likely have all the same major features, but there is no way of knowing when features will be added and what you have to go through to get them (like replacing the pump altogether).

For us, the CGMS (without having to wear a second device) was the main factor that lead us to the MM.

The remote for the Ping looks really useful, and once they have the CGMS on the market we'll reexamine our choices and maybe switch. Of course by then MM will have added new features as well.

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

What setting caused that error? Never heard of a setting causing that.