- advertisement -

Minimed quality - anyone else noticed?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TimO, Feb 20, 2010.

1. TimO

TimO Approved members

After reading twicker1's post about their bad d night I wanted to ask if anyone else has noticed what seems to be cheaper production quality from Minimed. When we started pumping 5 years ago they seemed to have quality reservoirs and canulas. About a year ago I noticed a distinct change in the quality of the reservoirs and canulas, including what seemed to be bent/hard to connect reservoir-to-canula connections, leaking connection at the tubing and sometimes clogged canulas. I'm really disappointed in what appears to be cheaper quality with Medtronic pump supplies. Anyone else noticed this? I've also noticed that, although the quality/production of their reservoirs and canulas has diminished, the price hasn't, and I'm disgusted that we're wasting one or two of each per box at our expense. Don't they realize that it is is imperative that these parts function flawlessly for the sake of our children and our ability to manage diabetes the way we need to?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I haven't noticed that. In fact, I like the new reservoirs a lot better than the old ones.

Unomedical makes 95% of infusion sets out there, for MM and other pumps. So it's not really MM's quality you're questioning, but Unomedical's. :)

If you're having problems, be sure to report them to MM. They'll send out replacement sets/reservoirs.

3. timsma

timsma Approved members

I also haven't noticed any difference. Everything is fine on our end.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I haven't noticed anything different either. I agree with Karla, if you are having issues let mm know, they need to know as well as unomedical needs to know.

5. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

No differences here either. I really love the new reservoirs with the white cap.
    The Quick-Sets are the same...no problems at all.

Definitely call MM if you're unhappy.

6. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

We've been pumping since March 2007 and I can't say that there has been a reason for me to notice a difference.

When we first started pumping, I was afraid every high that I couldn't immediately explain was a failed set. But after I became more familiar with pumping, a true failed set for us is extremely rare...thank goodness!

7. Toni

Toni Banned

I have not noticed any difference in quality; DN has never had a problem. But when we switched from Animas to Minimed, both Sis and I HATE the cap on top of the reservoir and we still do.

8. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

We have never had a problem with MM, their customer service has always been excellent. We had a problem early on with the pump, a new one was overnighted to us. In nearly 2 years of pumping we have not had a failed site. We have only used SureT's in this time, so I don't have experience with other sets.

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Recently (within the past few months) they changed the reservoirs and the new ones are SO much better.. I had so many problems before with them getting stuck at the connection between reservoir & tubing, but it's always fine with the new ones. I haven't noticed any other poor quality (except they really could improve the stickiness of the sure-Ts; they're so much less sticky than quick-sets or sils).

10. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I copied and pasted these as a YMMV.;)

I really like the MM resevoir caps and I've tried fifty-50's, animas, cosmo. It's a preference; so it's subject personal opinion.

This has to be another YMMV, likely due to body chemistry. Sure T's really stick on Liv. But, Quicksets, we cover with Tegaderm. I like covering with Tegaderm because I feel it's an extra barrier protection to keep the area clean. But, we have also noticed that Quicksets on Liv almost need the extra Tegaderm.