- advertisement -

Minimed Paradigm pump AND Guardian??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamamccoy87, Jan 3, 2011.

1. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Have heard tales of people whose kids have a Medtronic minimed pump and use continous glucose monitoring who also have a guardian unit they can place on night stand so they can *shock* hear alarms!!! Either alone or with a baby monitor!!!! And they can sleep in their own beds!! Without their children sleeping with a pump in a bowl, using an amplifier or having their parent in bed with them!!!

If anyone has this in their homes (lucky dog) can you tell me how you did it?? Will insurance pay?? How'd you do it? I am ENVIOUS!!!

Thanks

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We have the guardian and revel pump. We use the guardian for car trips, we leave it on the table, picks her up wherever she is in the house.. we use to send it to school so they didn't have to bother her, but this year we haven't bothered with that.. different teacher, no so into that.

3. mamamccoy87

How did you get both the guardian and pump?? Did you have guardian first?

4. Flutterby

We had the pump first. When we first ordered the cgms, we got the minilink, without the guardian piece.. when we needed a new transmitter I told them I wanted the guardian, not the minilink.. MM questioned why I wanted it, I told them, they said, 'cool, great idea'.. put it through and we had it a week later.

5. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I learned to get the gardian on this site--best advice EVER! We had the mm pump. When we decided to cgm we got the process started and doc wrote the script etc. Whne they called to confirm with me and say they were shipping it, I said I wanted the gardian. They were like Why would you want to carry 2 units! I said, I wanted to use it at night and if she ever took a pump break I didn't want her to HAVE to use the pump to use her cgm. they sighed, and ran it through the ins again. I swear it took a minute and was no problem at all. the script was written for cgm, not for the specific brand, gardian or paradigm, so when they ran it through it was no problem. If ins covers cgm they will cover gardian too. Basically even though the revel acts as a receiver, they are 2 separate units and considered so for the purposes of payment. (And if you stopped using the revel, you'd still want your cgm so that makes sense.)

The only difference is that the gardian kit, comes with 4 sensors instead of 10, and has the gardian unit obviously. And beware, mm phone ppl have no idea that the units will both pick up from the seashell just like 2 radios picking up the same station. They do not know how this works and will not understand why you would want it. You have to get your info here on this site. :cwds:

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Hi Deb! We have both the pump and the Guardian. We had the pump and CGM for almost 2 years before we got the Guardian. I just asked Sue to place the order for me. It was approved no problem.

We LOVE having the Guardian too!

7. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

Hey Guys,

We have also been thinking about getting the guardian to hear the alarms ...
    1. so do you use a baby monitor next to guardian to hear alarms?

2. I talked to another mom doing this and she said she was having problems with the guardian losing signal ... does this happen to you?

3. if you only used at night on bedstand ... does it link up quickly and calibrate well enough to count on ... or do you need to use it more than just at night to have it calibrated better ... and does it read pretty close to the Revel?

Thanks for helping ... becuase I have been in a serious quandry about whether or not to get the guardian to use at night with Revel.

8. Flutterby

We don't loose a signal anymore than we loose it with the regular pump which isn't a lot.. we leave the guardian out in the hall on a table, we can hear it from our room, anywhere in the house.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

1. so do you use a baby monitor next to guardian to hear alarms?

We can hear the alarms from the family room when he's sleeping in his room. Once we go to bed at night, we turn his baby monitor on, and we can then hear the alarms very well from our bedroom.

2. I talked to another mom doing this and she said she was having problems with the guardian losing signal ... does this happen to you?

Nope. We get really good range with our Guardian. Always 10 feet, and occasionally 15-20. The best range is in our family room/kitchen. It's truly amazing how well it picks him up on there.

3. if you only used at night on bedstand ... does it link up quickly and calibrate well enough to count on ... or do you need to use it more than just at night to have it calibrated better ... and does it read pretty close to the Revel?

We use it whenever he's not at school. So we calibrate it with the Revel in the morning when he gets up, and then when he goes off to school, it loses the signal. When he gets home, we tell it to find the lost sensor, and it's up and running again. It's rare that they're not calibrated at the same time.

If you end up doing it, you won't believe how handy it is. It's the best of both worlds - he doesn't have to carry two units, and I get a unit to keep tabs on things.

10. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

anyone hear of a multi-user guardian? :D

I can only hope... it would be fantastic to get one tableside unit that could pick up both of the boys' sensors and display their BGs in different colors or something....

....a girl can dream....:rolleyes:

I hear beeping whereever I go....my fridge now beeps when we forget to close the door, my new stove beeps instead of buzzing and I swear that the birds are starting to beep, too....

11. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

Thanks so much for your replies!! I really appreciate it!!

Ok, I think we need to go ahead and get it.

Thanks again for your help

12. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

We have both the pump and the Guardian. We don't get much range from either. DD is an average 11 year old and if she has her pump on her waist opposite the sensor site on the other side--she can lose signal.

I may have to hang the Guardian from a string above her bed.:rolleyes:

13. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

They have skins for them too now!! dd has a cow pattern on her gaurdian. We just got a pump skin and cut a little excess from the resevoir part but now they actually have gardian skins.

We lose a signal sometimes if dd is lying on her site for a while. Usually, even if you lose it a while when she rolls over it just picks it up again. I think you get like 40-45 minutes before it's really lost.

Regarding syching--I only use it at night so I cal both before bed. It tracks fine all night, often the same exact number as the revel, sometimes a little off if I don't cal the revel. But a meter bg is not exact anyway so it's close enough. I "start" both before bed and then cal again after stories on the first night. I restart both on the 3rd. Every night I just cal before bed. when I find lost sensor at night on the gardian, it asked for a cal since it's been over 12 hrs. I turn off the alarm in the mornign or it will start to beep once the signal is lost.

Once you start using it you'll get into a pattern and you'll see it's great.

14. mamamccoy87

Thanks for the replies - Grace has endo appt next Wed, asking that the Guardian is ordered for her. Had I known earlier what I know now:cwds:

Mary Lou - I pray one day there is a multi-user Guardian!! You and the other mothers of multiple diabetics have my utmost respect! One child with diabetes is challenging enough - can't imagine two.