- advertisement -

Minimed not replacing sensors?

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by ecs1516, Aug 31, 2011.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Dexcom has always replaced our sensors when something was wrong or we hit a blood vessel going in. Minimed has replaced a few but refused the last two. Should I call back and ask someone else. I paid full price for these!

2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

They usually only replace them if it's faulty sensors, not an insertion issue, wish they would!!

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

What was the issue with the last two? I never pull "bleeders." They work as well as "non-bleeders" in my experience.

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

This was a real bleeder. Hit a blood vessel and blood running down. You would not replace that? Dexcom has replaced everything no matter what.

5. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I never replace bleeders either, drives my husband nuts, but at $50 a pop, can't afford it. Haven't even gotten any this year, just can't afford it!

6. hawkeyegirl

Nope! Sounds crazy, but they always end up working great for us!

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We've only had them replace ones that dont' work right, and it has to be within the first 3 days.. if you restart the sensor and it quits they won't replace it.. We leave in bleeders too.. some are pretty bad (hasn't happened in a long time though).. we've always left it, they work like all the others. :)

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I wouldn't replace one like that either. I know it seems crazy, but I'vr never found that they work any less well for me!

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I thought if you hit a blood vessel you have to pull it. How do you stop the bleeding. This is a fast stream of blood? I have used ones with blood and they have been off for us. My son is asking to go back to Dexcom . Just don't know how to do that.
    Dexcom will replace the sensors if this happens.

10. zatff

zatff Approved members

I found out Navigator sensors never worked for me if they got contaminated by blood. It has been years since I used that system but believe they generally replaced them if I was willing to spend the hour on the phone to request it.

I haven't had any bleeders with Dexcom.

11. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I missed it -- why did you switch?

I considered changing awhile back because I was getting the impression Medtronic had good products, but just had some awful times with trying to ask Medtronic questions about their systems through support, and Dexcom is amazingly good at customer service for us. So it could totally be just a fluke, the guys I happened to run into, but when we're choosing a system I really prefer one where there is good support. Our Dexcom reps have been very sharp so if you want to switch back you could ask a rep if they have any ideas. They seem to know the "system" pretty well.

I've rarely asked to have sensors replaced because no matter how great the sensors are we're just going to have bad times with Selah being younger. I try to just factor some of it in. But when troubleshot with Dexcom on some things I noticed they will actually introduce the idea of replacing sensors sometimes. Maybe they charge more for each sensor so they can replace them with less loss? I don't know. But it was reassuring.

12. hawkeyegirl

One of Carol's sons is allergic to the tape on Dexcom.

Carol, we just use a paper towel to wick away any blood until it stops bleeding. Generally it doesn't take too long.

13. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Phooey.
    Nothing a rep can do about that. I assumed it was insurance issues. :(

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

No, I have one kid on the Dexcom and one kid on the MM CGM. Nothing can be simple around this house.