- advertisement -

minimed cgms insersetion problem

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by josmom, Apr 4, 2011.

1. josmom

josmom Approved members

Can someone give me an idea of why I can't get the inserter needle all the way in when using the cgms. I have been through several sets and when we use the inserter they go half way in and just stop(sometimes we can push in manually the rest of the way). My husband has been trying and he has had it. We use her bottom, which is the only place we can use. We don't the use the cgms constantly so I don't think it's a scar tissue problem. We have had this issue since we started the system. I'm ready to just get rid of the whole thing as it's not worth the pain and trauma involved. Perhaps we are doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it might be. Any suggestions?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I would call MM and tell them that your inserter isn't firing correctly and you're having to push the sensors in manually. They should send you a new inserter.

3. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I had a thread about this in the cgms section. Definitely call Minimed. They will replace the sensors too.

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I didn't have a pinch up once (back when I had a fair amount of fat) and the needle went in only part way and indented the skin the rest of the way.

5. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

This happened to me once, and I manually pushed it in the rest of the way. Sensor never got calibrated correctly, and I called MM and they replaced it. It may have been due to some scar tissue. The inserter souds like it's lost it's punch so to speak. They should replace it.

6. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

Look at the inserter needle with a magnifying glass. We had one that would just push the skin down and not go in very far. A small part of the needle tip as bent straight out. It looked like a burr.

7. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Please use emla cream.

Some ppl actually do a manual insertion, but call mm and get a new inserter.

8. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

At the risk of insulting you, which I certainly don't intend to do, are you sure you've put the sensor in the inserter correctly? There have been a couple of occasions when I've put it in backwards, but then realized that it didn't look right and turned it around. I always do it with the instruction manual open in front of me to make sure I've got everything lined up right.:eek:

Also, we don't pinch up with sensor insertion, as Jonah had said he does. Our MM rep taught us to hold the skin down and taut for sensor insertion, and that's always worked great. Is there a chance you're pinching up and restricting the needle?

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

for us, pinching ALWAYS causes the sensor to not insert properly. We insert just slpmom says.

Also we were taught to make sure that if you hold the serter sideways after you've loaded a sensor into it, that you do not see the sensor needle at all - it should be completely hidden by the legs. Sometimes they don't sit properly and we have to straighten it out.

10. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

if it's not filled with a sensor and you pull back the inserter and press the button does it go down with a force? If not it could just be broken. Other trouble could be the tautness of the skin, we were told to have it taut also, not pinched. The last time my sons sensor didn't go all the way at first so I manually inserted it the rest of the way so that he wouldn't have to go through another round of pokes, for us I think it was because he was being wiggly, but once it was in the sensor rocked and lasted for 10 days with very accurate #'s, we just removed it due to his skin looking red.

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I never knew this. I always pinch up.. she doesn't have much fat, I'd be afraid of it going in to deep it I did it the other way.

Every once in a while we have an issue with a sensor not going in fully. I just mannually push it the rest of the way in. I think we had one that went in about half way, I couldn't get it in any furthar, that one we trashed.

12. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Here is the problem that we found, and how we solved it: Some sensors are manufactured incorrectly with the cannula sticking out just a little near the tip of the needle. The cannula is supposed to be completely within the needle, but sometimes sticks out a little. This protrusion of the cannula is like a "stop" that prevents the needle from going in. You can push it in, I suppose, but that would cause undue trauma to the skin.

We called Minimed and the acknowleged the problem and sent us a new batch. In total, 5 out of the last box of 10 had this defect.

You can also feel the "stop" by sliding your fingernail along the underside of the needle, starting at the tip. With the bad sensors, you'll feel the "stop", but with the good sensors your fingernail will glide right over the end of the cannula (clean your fingernail first with alchohol if trying this).

We screen all sesnors this way to avoid the problem. MM agreed to replace the bad ones.

13. Tiff's mom

Tiff's mom Approved members

We started inserting sensors flat as instructed, but he always complained that it hurt ( we do use numbing cream) and a lot of times the needle wouldnt go all the way in... I have been pinching the skin for some time now and it works so much better that way. No bleeding ( I tilt the inserter a bit as well, i guess using a 60 degree angle instead of recommended 45), the needle goes right in and the sensor is pretty accurate.
    Is there a reason why they don't recommend pinching the skin during insertion?

14. SarahKelly

thanks for sharing this, we just opened a new box and had this issue, maybe that's why I'll see next time we insert one.

15. frizzyrazzy

darryl, could it also be that the needle is coming a bit out of the actual sensor before it's inserted? We've had some that seem to slip as I'm holding them and I have to push the needle back in before loading it to the inserter.

16. SarahKelly

I think that's why the trainer was so specific to us about where and how to handle the sensor when putting it into the inserter, not just to keep it sterile but also to keep it tight in the sensor. Since we're still fairly new to using a CGM I still take the book out and remind myself quickly before each new sensor how to do it properly.

17. frizzyrazzy

yep. I think the "don't hold by this part" should be written in bold all over the package...

18. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I know what you mean, but this is a different problem. Even if the tab was pulled back, the cannula would just stick out from the end of the needle.

The problem I'm talking about it when the cannula is not trimmed cleanly, leaving a little stub that sticks out from the underside of the needle. You can see it as soon as you remove the plastic sleeve.