- advertisement -

Minimed back to MDI at my son's request

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Mom2dirty, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Mom2dirty

Mom2dirty Approved members

Has anyone had a teen request injections over the pump after using a pump?

My DS is very embarrassed by the pump and the site whilie in his Athletics class, actually while in the shower after class. He wants to go back to MDI. I know pumps are helpful in keeping his BG in a good range but I am of course allowing him to choose.

The way I look at it is that he is the one who has to live with D 24 hours a day and I am just the one who does what I can to make it a little more tolerable for him. I guess since I don't have diabetes and I am not a teen I can't truly understand his choice even though I support him 100%. And the stress he had over wearing the pump has (I suspect) been elevating his BG over the last several weeks. I won't know this for sure until he is back to MDI, which will be this Sunday.

I feel good about this change but I guess need some reassurance from people who know how hard it is to make these types of decisions.

My DS has been about 80% responsible for his D care since Dx'ed. Even his endo nurse commented on this to us.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

He must be around 13 -- an age that is highly influenced by peer pressure. My son said the other kids never said anything about his pump in PE class, but then he didn't need to take a shower.

I imagine he will go back on the pump when he no longer has to take PE.

There is nothing wrong with getting the insulin via an injection. Both methods work well.

3. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

What specifically about the showers is bothering him? I can't imagine that the site would be big enough to draw attention, however what about disconnecting during athletics class? That being said I've gone back and forth, back and forth from MDI to pump....but if you can resolve this then I'd say go for it.
    -Consider disconnecting
    -ask him specifically about showing with the pump is embarrassing, are their comments being made?
    -would something like this under his clothes make him feel better http://www.pumpwearinc.com/pumpshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1105
    -Try and resolve, talk, discuss, see if you can find a solution find out whats going on and then let him make the decision

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Most people, adults included, feel claustrophobic about having to be "connected" 24hours a day around three months into pumping. Does he unclick and put a "button" on before his shower - that makes it much less obvious than wearing a pump with a belt whilst otherwise nude. It seems funny that he would be showering where other kids can just look at him. I have girls - so I have no idea about boys - but I do know that everything is embarrassing. Bit of a minefield!

I am sure he will do just fine on MDI. The basal calculations are much easier - but the IOB is a pain to calculate every single time. Keep an eye out for a slide in care. Teenagers are notorious for forgetting even the most basic stuff and fiddling around with needles can also be embarrassing for some.

I would think it was important to find out if he is getting teased at school because getting rid of the pump won't sort that out.

I am sure the change will go well. You will know after a while whether it is working. You can always change back if he wants to.

5. Mom2dirty

He does disconnect during Athletics and when I asked him specifically what embarrassed him in the shower he said, "wouldn't you be embarrassed having plastic sticking out of your body?"

I appreciate your feedback and will continue to talk through this with him but ultimately he will make the decision.

I will also show him the website you shared.

Thanks so much for you reply.

6. Mom2dirty

DS does unclick and leaves his pump in a locker (for athletics and shower) but I doubt he puts the button on to cover the site. They have open "community" showers.

I have asked him about being teased and he said no one has said anything. But he had been telling me for over month that he wasn't embarrased by wearing the pump either. So...I guess I will keep my ears open about the teasing.

Thanks so much for your reply.

7. Mom2dirty

DS is 13 yrs old and you are so right about peer pressure. As long as he gets his insulin the way he gets it shouldn't matter.

Thanks for your response.

8. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

I think it is pretty normal for kids who are newly dx'd and new to pumping to want to go back. My son never seemed embarrassed by the appearance, but he decided it was too much hassle at one point. He quickly decide that injections were a hassle, too and went back to pumping.

9. joan

joan Approved members

I think its great that teens have a choice pump or not. My son has had a few pump experiences. First Omnipod, about 5 years ago, which did not work at all for him. Back to MDI. About 1 year later, animas, not bad but pump came off twice both times resulting in high bs, high ketones and "feeling like I'm gonna die". Next untethered which he liked and lasted about a year but he is now back on shots and will probably stay that way. His reasoning is that when he has the pump on he is always worried about it or the site or if its off reconnecting and bolusing. It is all a pain for him. He would rather have his pen and give himself a shot and forget about it. D is with him always when he is on the pump and he didn't like that. That is his perspective and others are different. I really wanted him to stay on the pump but his bs are fine and I don't think for him right now they would be much better on the pump.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

This is news to me. Did you read this somewhere?:confused:

I'm also unfamiliar with the, "button" you describe that covers the site. Could you elaborate?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  11. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

~K just started pumping but am glad to see others who choose MDI over the pump. I'm the one feeling a bit bad about having something connected to her all the time. But right now it doesn't seem to bother her all that much. But a few days ago when we took out the infusion site as she was going to have a bath and it was time to change it, she let out a big sigh and stretched and said how good it felt to be free. We'll see how it goes in the long run...

12. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Our endo warned us before we even started pumping that 3 months was "claustrophobic". It only lasts for a month - that feeling of being connected - and then you get used to it again. It depends on how much independence they want and the age they are. A pump is really good for lazy children - ie teens - because they don't have to calculate so much. It is all a compromise. I stalled when my daughter hit "the wall" and said things like "oh - ok - but I will have to talk to the endo about how much lantus etc. you will be needing to replace the background novo....". At this point she would tune out and wander off.

The "button" is a little cover that replaces the one attached to the line with insulin. It is a medtronic one for the quickset. You squeeze and twist the one with the line and just pop the "button" on to stop dirt going in where the site is exposed. It is clear and very unnoticeable.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think your endo is making a pretty broad and not particularly helpful prediction of a new pumper's experience. We neither experienced this, nor have I ever heard anyone else mention this "3 month" prediction. And, just personally, I don't think pumping is for the lazy, it's just a different method of delivering insulin.

Oh... the "button" is the site clip thing. The inset one doesn't really mask or make less visible the infusion site, so I wasn't sure that's what you meant. Got it now.

14. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Pumping is good for not having to calculate IOB. It also makes it easier because you don't have to walk around with the carb ratios in your head as well. Good when you have other things on your mind. Horses for courses! The three month thing was a warning in case it happened - that was the time the team had said was most likely - and it was for us - so I was prepared to deal with it.

15. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I think at your son's age it is reasonable to let him switch back to mdi if that's what he wants. But I'm surprised they take showers at school....my boys never do/or never did in Alex's case.

16. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

For what it's worth...I think you are doing the right thing by letting him choose. Letting him be in control, assuming he will be responsible about taking shots when he needs to, is good for him. It gives him a chance to make his own choices while still under your care, where he has a safety net in case something goes wrong. He'll need this experience for when he's out on his own.

17. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

That's precisely how we look at it. When Justin was first dx'd the idea of an insulin pump was unacceptable to him however we let him know he had a choice and he eventually chose a pump about 6 months later. A CGM was his next choice but that was too much at that time. Well it's been about 2 1/2 years since he started pumping and he has just recently voiced a desire for a CGM and asking questions about it. Simply knowing he has options to choose from and knowing he has our full support is the best we can do. I imagine there are times when a parent must intervene but how or when that intervention is to be taken, I'm in no position to say but in our case Justin knows that as long as he does the very best he can to manage his D then he will get no hassles from us. In your case I would say let your son choose MDI if he wants as long as he too does the very best he can and I would be willing to bet that he'll eventually choose the pump again simply because he knows he has that choice. Good luck.