advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Med Pump Broke, out of warranty by 1 week, switch to TSlim?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jack's mom, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Jack's mom

Jack's mom Approved members

Forgive me for not going back through the threads and reading up on this. I need advice now. My son's Medtronic pump broke. It went out of warranty last week. He was thinking of switching to the TSlim because of the touch screen technology. We've been with Medtronic, the Paradigm Revel( Last 4 years), for 10 years. He never liked the Paradigm's CMG because of all of the alarms. My question: Should we switch to a TSlim? Do you like the Dexcom, we've never had that. He is going across the country next year to college. What would you reccomnend? Which one is: user friendly, no issues, company response time, how long do the sites last? We have always been happy with Medtronic, but he wants to switch. I'm just nervous we will switch, and he won't like it. Or, the technology isn't as good as the Medtronic. Thank you in advance for your time.

2. sparty87

sparty87 Approved members

DD switched from the ping to tslim about a year and a half ago. Complaints to date

• Pump throughput: tslim uses a micro delivery pump. It is supposed to be safer, but it is also very slow. You will notice it when priming and delivering a large bolus. It takes significantly longer to pump an equivalent volume of insulin.
    • Bulky clip : They just came out with a new clip, which seem to have resolved this problem

Both Animas and Tandem sell unomedical sites. So there was no differences to us. Note, Tandem just stop support for the standard luer lock connector on their cartridge and moved to a proprietary t-lock system. I think this may be a problem if you prefer non-unomedical sites.

For a new college student, I highly recommend 1) register with the school’s office of disability 2) look up and join the local chapter of College Diabetes Network, if one exists.

3. ChrisDadT1

ChrisDadT1 Approved members

We've never used Medtronic, so I don't know which is better. We have used the t:slim for 4 years and are also looking at all our options now since the warranty has expired. I've read the new Medtronic 670G is supposed to be great. So I will just answer your questions based on our experience with the t:slim and Dexcom:

We love the Dexcom G5 - been using it for about 1 year now. The receiver is fair, but IMO the alarms are not loud enough. Also, we had 2 units become defective, but Dexcom replaced them overnight both times. The App is really good (when it works - there are frequent "Signal Loss" and "Bluetooth Off" issues.) But the "Follow" app is really really great IMO. We can see his numbers on our phones when he is at school or out with his friends. I don't know if Medtronic has that capability or not. The sites last 7 days but do sometimes fall off early, but if you call Dexcom and tell them, they will send out a replacement immediately. Their customer service is A+.

We also are happy with the t:slim. VERY USER FRIENDLY. Sadly, one pump did become defective about 2 years ago, but they replaced it with a refurbished one that was in like-new condition. I kinda wish they had just given us a new one, though. The infusion sets have just become proprietary using a "t-lock" connector rather than the Luer lock. So you must use one of their infusion sets, which may or may not matter to you. The touchscreen interface is very nice and my son loves that part of the t:slim. Setting up various profiles and differing food boluses/correction ratios/basals is easy-peasy and one of the best things about the pump IMO. The new Dexcom integration in the X2 looks promising. And their anticipated alogorithm integration should make for more accurate basals and more level numbers in the near future, and those upgrades are supposed to be free via a software update, so you will not need to wait another 4 years to get the latest greatest features. However, to be honest, in our experience, customer service is decent but not great. Infusion set sites and cartridges on the t:slim last 2-3 days, depending on how much insulin you use.

Hope this helps.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I think you need to take time to research and talk with pump reps. My daughter has zero interest in returning to Medtronic and their customer service, but right now, they have the only automated system on the market. That would be a huge factor with college.

My daughter used the Medtronic 723 for four years before switching to T-slim; she also has the Omnipod through cut-the-cord for breaks and back-up. Her favorite by far is the t-slim. We're looking forward to the t-slim updates of low glucose suspend and then the Type Zero closed loop. At this point, we're optimistic that the low glucose suspend will be out in time for her to have that back-up safety net when she leaves for college next fall. She was gone for most of the summer this year and came home utterly worn out, saying she tried not to let herself sleep too deep for fear of not waking to alarms. Her waking to the alarms lessened as the weeks went back, and she became more and more tired.

Any system that takes care of the nights to give them that time off would be high priority if we were selecting a pump now. But, if you're willing to wait a bit, T-slim updates so you don't have to stay with old technology for the next four years like in the past.