- advertisement -

Military family moving to DC area

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by luvmyboyz, Mar 16, 2008.

1. luvmyboyz

luvmyboyz Approved members

This is my first time posting so bear with me. We are a military family getting transferred from CA to Northern Va and I am looking for info on MTFs. We are looking to live in the Burke/West Springfield areas but I am unsure how this works with the numerous amount of military facilities available. We had only one option here in San Diego. Any advice would be great! Thanks.

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Well, I don't know what MTF means but momofphoenix lives in Quantico - south of Burke/Springfield - and her husband is in the Marine Corps

3. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I don't know from MTF either, but I'm in Springfield! Welcome in advance!

Becky

4. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

This is a shot in the dark, but I am guessing MTF stands for Military Families?

5. mlbg10158

mlbg10158 Approved members

Military treatment facilities-DC

Welcome to our the boards and the east coast. There are doctors at all the bases around here for your basic treatment and you can hopefully sign up at the one you'll be closest to when you settle in here. Although our records are kept at the Naval Academy, I can get an appt if needed to another clinic fairly easily. There is a pediatric endocrinologist at Walter Reed. If you can't get a referral for Walter Reed, there is Children's in DC as well as the doctors at Johns Hopkins if you're willing to travel that far. We're stationed at Ft. Meade (Army), use the doctors in Annapolis (Navy), use the Endo at Walter Reed (Army)and get some of our meds at Ft. Meade, some at Annapolis, and still others at Walter Reed or Bethesda. I've always pretty much just gotten in where ever I needed/wanted to go. Walter Reed or Bethesda can be a pain - no place to park, traffic, but they also have there good points - absolutely no $$ to worry about and you can always take extra time to visit the troops, which for me personally, puts all my troubles in a better perspective.

We were in San Diego for Navy's Bowl game this past December. It was so nice. We had a wonderful time there and would love to go back for a longer, nicer visit sometime.

Best wishes for your transition. We've NEVER had to move. My husband has been blessed for over 20 years with a permanent duty station, which we are VERY thankful for now, for medical reasons. Who would have thought.....

Mary Lynn

6. luvmyboyz

I am sorry. MTF is Military Treatment Facility. Is there also a Pediatric Endocronologist at Ft. Belvoir? And from whom do I get a referral from? Do we go to a MTF pediatrician or do we have to find a civilian doctor. Moving gets soooo confusing! This is our sixth move but the first one needing any type of specialty care.
    Thanks for the welcome. I am originally from NJ and hubby is from NY. I can't wait to get me some WaWa coffee!

7. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Hi and welcome. We were diagnosed in San Diego as well. Is Dr. Yates still there? Is she still anti pump? We are now in Virginia Beach and our endo is at Portsmouth Naval - LOVE him. It is a haul from northern VA (about 3 hours w/o traffic), but I would make the drive for our endo. I'm pretty sure there isn't an endo at Ft. Belvoir, but could be wrong. You will need to get a referral from your PCM (if they have room at one of the MTFs you can go there, but if not they will refer you out in town) to the endo, so you may want to get that all in line now, if you can. My daughter's new PCM (civilian) wanted me to bring her in before he would give a referral, which I thought was odd. You can't tell she has diabetes by looking at her! I finally got them to do the referral after I faxed some of her medical records that stated that she does indeed have type 1. If you want any more info feel free to PM me. Hope your move goes smoothly!

8. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Bobbi,

I think the closest WaWa is about 15 miles south. By Potomac Mills Outlet Center. Well worth the trip!

Becky

9. mlbg10158

mlbg10158 Approved members

I think the only military peds endo in our area is Dr. Frazier at Walter Reed. I think she's about a year into her assignment there. Her office is in the peds clinic at Walter Reed, along with a pediatric CDE and a nutritionist. We are satisfied with our care there but have nothing really to compare it to! They seem to bend over backwards trying to make everything as easy as possible for us as far as appts and access to the doctor and CDE. I can even make my own appts online. It's never too early to call them and see what they require as far as getting set up with them. The transient nature of the military life is what they know best about so I'm sure they can walk you through the process or point you in the right direction. Walter Reed also might be the hospital/ER you might want to visit should the need arise.

Mary Lynn

10. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

Hi,
    I have a very dear friend who works for the navy and is also a navy wife. She has been an omsbudsmen for years. Here is her email...samendon@aol.com...she may be able to help you out. They have lived in many different places including northern VA, Maryland area. If she can't help with the MTF's she can maybe get you in touch with a rep from the area who can.
    Best of luck
    Cindy

11. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

Welcome to the area. We live in Laurel, MD and take our daughter to Dr. Reiner in Baltimore. He has an office Baltimore and Columbia. Im not sure about the Military facilitys at all. I do have to say in MD/DC area there aren't many pediatric Endo's around.

12. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Efmp?

Have you been enrolled in EFMP yet? They should be able to help you find out what your endo options will be once you get to DC.

13. Zachary's mom

Zachary's mom Approved members

Welcome to northern VA! We live on Fort Belvoir and Dr Frazier and the wonderful cde Diane Hatcher come down here to Dewitt on Fort Belvoir at least twice a month. Actually we just saw Diane today. Just get a referrel and when you call the Walter Reed Specialty Appointment line just tell them that you would like to see the endo at Dewitt. It saves alot of drive time to Walter Reed. If you have any questions don't hesistate to ask!

14. Zachary's mom

Zachary's mom Approved members

I forgot to say that you can have Fort Belvoir-Dewitt Army hospital as your MTF. Just register with the tricare office there. Then see your pcm and get a referrel to the endo.

15. luvmyboyz

Thanks to you all for the great info.
    My son is enrolled in Special Needs through the Coast Guard. I didn't even think to call them. I guess all the house hunting I have done on-line has fried my brain. I do prefer advice from families that are in the same situation.
    Zachery'sMom I would love to chat with you about the area and Fort Belvoir's facilities. I still haven't figured out how to do anything else but post and respond on this forum.
    We will be out that way next week. Everybody wish us luck. It will be the first trip away from home since diagnoses.

16. momofphoenix

momofphoenix Approved members

Hi wecome to the wonderful world of VA!!!!!!!!! :D Sorry I have not been online in what seems like forever.
    Childrens Hospital in DC is VERY hard to get into, I would try to get into Bethesda or Walter Reed. You might have an easier time getting in to there. JMO.

17. Jana

Jana Approved members

Another Fort Belvoir Fam...

We live on Belvoir too, and we see Diane Hatcher at DeWitt for all of our son's care (diabetes, hypothyroidism, eosiniphilic esophagitis...etc...).
    We love her.

18. Armyemily

Armyemily Approved members

MTF= Military Treatment Facility.

19. CarrieDennison

CarrieDennison Approved members

Hello and welcome to fort Belvoir. My son is newly Dx so we a new to the endo doctor game but they told us that they hold clinic at Dewitt once a month,and clinic at Walter Reed every Monday. I hope that is helpful. If I can be of any help please feel free to PM me. Good luck house hunting.

20. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

Welcome to the area! While I can't help you with information on MTF's, I do know that the ped endo's at Children's in DC have satellite offices in Laurel, MD near our home and, I believe, in Northern Virginia. If you end up needing to use a civilian doctor, that may help you out.