- advertisement -

Middle School - Eating School Lunches

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by MamaBear, Mar 22, 2012.

1. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

So my son completed 6th grade here at home with me. At the end of summer he will start 7th grade at our local middle school and I am worried about a ton of things, one of which is lunch. Last year for 5th grade since we were new to Diabetes he took a lunch we packed at home that included post its with carb count and total dose needed. I also emailed the carb and dose info to the health aide. Now next year he wants to have school lunches like other kids and the whole process has me worried, even though we are not there yet. The district nurse has told me before that there is an RN and a health aide at the middle school but that the kids pretty much maintain their own D and just check in the with the health office staff, unless they need help. And I know that most kids there are currently on the pump. My son wants to stay on MDI, and he does not want to carry his pen with him, but he wants to leave it in the health office and get it when he needs it. So how do your teens/tweens handle school lunches with D? Do they bolus before or after they eat? Are the carb counts for school lunches anywhere near accurate? :confused:

2. ciarak

ciarak Approved members

I bring my own lunch to school with me 4 days of the week(just because its easier for me that way :p ) but once a week i will have a school lunch, to start with i estimated the carb total and bolused beforehand, i did this for a couple weeks till i worked out the actual carbs and correct bolus, now i wont usually spike or go low after a school lunch
    I think its a trial and error thing, when i started i didnt get the bolus right but now i can pretty much get it spot on :)
    :cwds:

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My kids are in middle school and decided it's not worth it to get lunch. Mainly because it's so lousy:p but also because the lines are so long. That being said, they are allowed to by 2 snacks a week and that is it(unless they want to pay themselves). Luckily, the snacks are prepackaged and so carbs are listed.

In the off chance my kids decide they are going to buy lunch, our school lists nutrition on the website. I would say they are about 80-85% accurate. My daughter goes to the health office so that they can double check her figures and watch her bolus, but she does need to bring any uneaten food for them to look at so they can come up with a somewhat accurate count. A pain, but it works.

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Our school nurse put together a list of foods that regularly appear on the cafeteria menu (it's a standard school diet and repeats regularly). She took carb info off the boxed and has a list available to any parent and the school uses it when diabetics eat school lunches. For me, I'm not a fan of the menu options (too processed and fake for me) so my kids rarely buy. When DD buys, the nurse uses the carb list and doses accordingly. I imagine the same thing will be available when DD starts doing it herself. I'd start with the school and ask for information on the foods and servings sizes then make a list for him to use at lunch each day.

5. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Because our district has alacarte menus I contacted the district food service manager and she sends me a food list for anything they might serve with the information. My DD usually likes the pizza and it comes from a local place that has published nutrition. My worst part was I had to introduce her to the food service servers though to stop her from getting a slushy every day. It is so much fun when they get independence.

6. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I email the cafeteria supervisor at the end of every month, & she emails me the breakfast, lunch & a la carte menus with carb counts for all items. My dd never eats breakfast at school, mainly because she doesn't like what they serve. We tried pre-bolusing lunch for a week & it just didn't work. While her 504 states she can request to be at the front of the line, that sort of defeats the whole purpose of eating hot lunch (so she can be like her friends), so she boluses when she gets her food.

My guess is the carb counts are 85% correct. We've learned which items need to be bolused more/less than the listed carbs, so it's not a problem.

7. MamaBear

Thanks all. Our district does offer carb counts online and I can save them in PDF form on my desk top, I just don't know how reliable those counts really are. I had thought it might be best for him to eat, then go to the health office to give his shot, but I don't know how well that would work, or what that would do to his A1c. Or if he would remember. But I also don't want him to take his shot and then get to the cafeteria to find what he planned on is not available. This whole middle school thing scares me with D in the picture. I may be starting another thread to ask how everyone handles swimming for PE. :confused:

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

My son is in 7th grade and still packs his lunch. We have found that in the past when he was in elementary school and bought lunch, the carb counts were WAY off. He almost always ran high afterwards. He doesn't have any interest in buying lunch in middle school - he claims the food looks "gross". :rolleyes:

My best suggestion would be to bolus a little before lunch and then the rest after. School lunches can be unpredictable -- they run out of food, change things, or serving portions aren't what they should be.

9. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

Audrey is in 6th grade and eats the school lunch a couple of times a week. Our school posts carb information on their website, and it's seemed pretty accurate. I email the school nurse with the carb counts, and Audrey goes to her office before lunch, tests, and gets her shot there.

If she chooses to have something different, or adds on an ice cream or a cookie after she's eaten, she goes to the nurse's office afterwards and they figure out the carb difference and she gets another shot. She keeps her meter and pen in the nurse's office. She has asked if next year, she can just carry her meter and pen in her purse, along with the print out of carb information so she doesn't have to go to the nurse's office. I've talked to the nurse about it, and we're going to work on getting her to that point, although she said she would still want Audrey to check in once a day, or if she's out of range.

I think there's a lot of appeal initially in middle school school lunches (usually a lot more choices than there were in elementary school). It didn't take long for Audrey to get tired of the lunch choices, and to realize that school lunches just don't taste that good. Usually when she does eat the school lunch, she's just getting a salad or going with the yogurt/muffin option.

10. MamaBear

A little before and a little after sounds like a good suggestion. The running out thing is my worry. That has happened to my kids (and other kids we know) plenty of times, at least in elementary school. Before D it was no biggie, they just got what was left. But now with D and giving insulin involved, the thought of running out of what he wanted, and already having insulin on board scares me. :(

I hope he goes this route. I know he wants to eat what his friends are eating and to feel "normal" but our school lunches are just nasty. And what they offer as "healthy" items is just a joke.:rolleyes:

11. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

You might see if there are microwaves that the kids can use. Our jr. high and high schools do have several microwaves. My older boys (non d)take left overs or frozen foods so it isn't a sandwich every day. Josh will probably do the same.

12. MamaBear

I can ask my daughter about that when she wakes up. The only thing I really know about lunch at this school is that when she attended, there were two lunch periods and which one you were assigned was dependent on your class schedule.

13. Johan'smom

Johan'smom Approved members

My son had just turned 12 when he was diagnosed and it was the beginning of 7th grade. Our district here in San Diego posts their nutrition information online and it seems to be very accurate. Since he tends to be a creature of habit, he would switch between one or two things (Hamburgers or Chicken Sandwiches) and we got the carb count down pretty fast. He was allowed to leave class 2 minutes early, get his lunch then head to the nurses office where they would count the carbs together and figure out the correct amount of insulin. (As a backup, we always kept a box of peanut butter crackers or fruit Freezee (Can't remember the real name...kinda like fruit/applesauce in a tube that you freeze) in the nurses office just in case he didn't finish all his lunch.) He would then take his lunch to the courtyard where everyone else ate. We too, had the trouble with the extras he could purchase. They (johan and the nurse) always counted the carbs for the extra cookies or gatorades but I was going BROKE as his lunch account always seemed empty!

Next year Johan will be in high school with an "Open" campus. Unfortunatley, there is a jack-in-the-box right accross the street and a taco shop down the block..... I think I see some issues in our future :cwds:.

14. MamaBear

Keeping extras in the nurses office is definitely a good idea. We did do that last year as well.

I'm sure I'll have new worries when it's time for high school. Thankfully though the only food place anywhere near our local high school is a Subway, so if he goes off campus for lunch it would likely be better than anything the school serves. ;)

15. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed at 13, the week before 8th grade started. She took her lunch for the most part. She's a picky eater and didn't really care for much of the hot lunch but she would get one occasionally. She just guessed on carbs. I'm sure the carb counts were posted somewhere but we were so overwhelmed at the start I didn't think to look or ask.

She went to the nurses office the first few weeks to do her shots but then just did them at the table before she ate. Her nurse was fine with her doing finger pokes or shots anywhere on campus except the rest rooms. She said they were gross and goodness knows what you'd get in there :D

I'm sure after the first few weeks he'll figure out what foods he likes/dislikes and it will get easier.

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Show all our kids the "red slime" video and no one will ever buy a school lunch again:eek:

17. MamaBear

UCK. Years ago when my oldest was still in pre-K we went to a Healthy Food Fair the school district was holding. We parents filled out surveys and forms after taste tests for various items. Basically we were voting on which items we wanted in our kid's lunches. I swear to you the most healthful option was smuckers uncrustables. :rolleyes: What a waste of time that was.

18. aparente001

aparente001 Approved members

big changes

Could you negotiate that in the beginning he'll have a school lunch once a week, while you both are getting used to things?

19. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

20. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Daniel will do his lunch most days(entering 6th).He will want to try a few select items from school, carb count available online for the foods in district..although initially I may go in and see the food for myself to get idea of portions.. His 6th grade counselor is giving him a front of the line pass for all year. He will go first to office, get his shot, I always give him same amount of carbs daily, nurse does not need to count. If he eats school lunch I make sure I include if I have to from home anything he might need to add up to the 60-65 carbs he eats at lunch. Once he gets shot he goes to cafeteria and and front of line. I have no problem him doing that since lines are long. Once he gets his shot, I don't need him waiting and waiting to get his food, usually he will just be buying milk. Although I have found individual milks to pack now and so long as I can keep it cold, He won't have to buy it at school.