- advertisement -

Middle of the Night BG Testing?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Ellen, Nov 29, 2005.

1. hartpukas

hartpukas Approved members

How blessed you are! I would probably test my daughter routinely every night if she would not wake up. On a seperate note, please feel free to email me to share ideas about babies and diabetes. My email is: hpukas@tampabay.rr.com.

2. dawnegge

dawnegge Approved members

My 6yr old daughter has had diabetes for a little over 3 years now and I still check her before she goes to bed, before I go to bed and in the middle of the night. She has only had 3 close calls and luckily did wake up during them but I'm always worried that there might be a time that she doesn't.

3. rileysdteam

rileysdteam Approved members

I am just starting to have to check my son through the night. He used to be fine just being check before bedtime snack, but now his numbers are so irregular I check before snack, after snack, at 10:30 and again a little after

4. Red (aus)

Red (aus) Approved members

Taylor has been pumping for the past week so I've been up doing regular testing while we tweak her basals. The pump has kept her so steady at night. I will be testing again tonight and if tonight is about the same as the past two nights I'm back to sleeping all night and just having her test before she goes to bed.

5. Whitney

Whitney Approved members

My mom usually checks my 7 year old sisters BG around 12 when she goes to bed. Considering she is still going through her Honeymoon stage she can be all over the place. My mom has me to check her at 3 am if I am awake and lately at 4 also so we can see what she is doing in the middle of the night. My sister has not woken up yet with any lows that I know of. Come to think of it I don't believe I wake up when I am low either. Then again I usually tend to go high at night not low.

6. pookas

pookas Approved members

We check Hunter every night at 2am. He doesn't know when he's low if he's awake, so a low at night wouldn't stir him. He's only had 3 lows at night so far. I've found lately he starts dropping quick about 2-3 hours after vigorous exercise, so on his karate nights, I try to give him some extra bedtime snack. We don't cover bedtime snacks unless he's over 250. For example, the other night he was 192, I gave him 3 c. of micro. popcorn and he was 155 at 2am then 100 in the morning. So it seems to work for us. The only time he feels shaky is if he's dropping quick. Anyone else have that happen? He was at 43 at lunchtime last week and said he felt fine. Go figure...

Linda-[NEPA]-Mom to:
    Hunter, 5 yrs, dx'd 11/14/05 type I
    Colby, 6 yrs, migraines

7. Sweetkidmom

Sweetkidmom Approved members

I'm not sure whether to feel guilty....

I hardly ever test Jess at night. I was never told to, and our current doctor is happy with one "wee-hours" test a week, and even that we don't manage very often.

The reason is.... (and why do I feel as though I am justifying? Why do I feel I need to? We really are our own harshest critics, aren't we?)... that I suffer from chronic depression and for me, a good night's sleep is central to coping. Without this, I rapidly deteriorate into ... well... it's not pretty and it doesn't help the overall diabetes (or any other parenting matter) management.

If I'm awake because of insomnia, then I'll test. Jess has had 2 severe hypos, with seizures, where Glucagon has been necessary, both after parties with overindulging, overestimation of boluses, combined with several hours of swimming. I now know this to be a "Maximum-alert" situation.

At times, when I've feared her going low in the night, I have lowered her basals and rather risked her going high. This is not ideal, but there are times when waking in the middle of the night wrecks my functioning and then I've had to weigh up what is best for *everybody*. I haven't yet admitted this to the doc, as I feel it sounds so lame...

Kay
    "Guilt - the gift that keeps on giving"

8. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

HI
    Charlize will be 5 in a few days, we are 1 year into dx, she wakes up if she is low or high at night, so we only test if she wakes up and tells us or if she has been sick, or if she was having problems w/ her #'s thru out the day

Chandra :)

9. bbdebs

bbdebs Approved members

I check my 13 month old son at 7.30pm - his bedtime, 11pm - my bedtime and occasionally at 4am when he usually stirs.

He has split doses of nph at bedtime and breakfast as he's still having milk at night.

10. pookas

pookas Approved members

Kay,
    Is it possible for Jess , I'm assuming the 12 year old, to test herself in the middle of the night? Maybe she can set an alarm and do it w/out disturbing you unless she's low?

Linda-[NEPA]-Mom to:
    Hunter, 5 yrs, dx'd 11/14/05 type I
    Colby, 6 yrs, migraines

11. Sweetkidmom

Jessie sleeps the very deep sleep of the innocents - she doesn't even wake up if I test her while she's asleep. Over time I've learned to know what situations to be alert for and to trust my instincts. In those cases I will set an alarm and wake to test her and just have a bad day that day. In other words, it's a juggling of priorities.

The first time she hypo-convulsed, I had actually fetched her from a sleep-over that I wouldn't let her stay at, and put her next to me in my bed (she was 9). After I had given her the Glucagon and all was well again, I just lay in the dark and marvelled at maternal instinct and vowed to hone mine. (The second time she was away from me, with her dad's family, but was sleeping near her sister, who woke up and gave her the Glucagon injection.)

I wanted to mention this (difficulty with night-time testing) on this thread in case there are others who don't manage to test in the night, for various reasons. It's a big difficulty for me. Thanks heavens as she gets older, it's less of a problem as she can stay up late sometimes and test, her older sister can also do it sometimes.

12. shannonb

shannonb Approved members

Doctors Never Said to Test at Night...

My son is 2 1/2 and we are one month into knowing he has diabetes. They never told us to check at night unless he was sick and then we were to check every 3 hours around the clock.

I'm already a basket case at night anticipating a low, I guess checking could ease my mind but he already hates all the pokes I have to do during the day and I'd hate to wake him up to torture more...

Why do some doctors recommend middle of the night testing and others not mention it? Can it be different insulin mgt plans require more testing? We are on the intensive mgt plan with one 24hr Lantus shot and several novolog corrections during the day.

What should we do? I guess I'll ask the on call doc today.

Thanks,
    Shannon

13. Rebecca81

Rebecca81 New Member

night checking

I was diagnosed with diabetes at 11 and my mom never checked me at night unless I was sick. I have worked at diabetes camp for years and have found that some parents check their kids, others don't - either one is ok! For some parents it makes them feel better; for others, it causes more stress. If you find that your child doesn't wake up to lows, nighttime checking is a great idea. Also if your child is low before bed, you might want to check at midnight or 1am. But many of us grew up not being checked at night.

14. cydnimom

cydnimom Approved members

My son was just dx Sept 30/05. What the clinic told us to do was to test at 2:30 a.m. as that is approx. when the N would be peaking. If over 7.0 (126) he should be okay unless there are other circumstances like exercise earlier in the evening or illness. If he was between 5 and 6.9, then give him milk. They did not tell us to check every night, but when first diagnosed they suggested doing it just to see what his body was doing.

Because we usually don't eat supper until 6:00 p.m. I quite often don't check him at his bedtime at 8:00 because it is moot. I end up setting my alarm for 12:30 a.m. and checking him then. If his numbers are okay then I don't bother checking again. If I happen to get up in the middle of the night I do go in and check on him - I usually rub my hand up his back to see if he is sweating profusely.

Just my thoughts on this,

15. sharon c

sharon c Approved members

hello just joined this forum

i test my daughter more often if she is poorly or has had a low test before bed, usually she has warning signs in the night and calls me. She has had diabetes for about 2yrs now and is 8yrs old
    sharon c

16. T_Adelaide

T_Adelaide Approved members

Hello everyone- I'm new here too :)
    We tested Libby at night for a few weeks after she was diagnosed, now we only test is she is ill or her bsls are behaving erratically!
    We were told to occasionally test at night, however Libby wakes up every single time so we don't do it very often.

17. AmberO

AmberO Approved members

We try to test around midnight. Usually that is not a problem since my husband stays up late anyways. I will do a 2am test if my husband is working nights or we've changed her nighttime basal rate. I alwants want to see where her glucose is in the late hours after a basal change or if she was lower then I like when I test her before I go to bed.

18. Mik's Mom

Mik's Mom Approved members

Hello,

My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed in May. She too can not feel a low coming on unless she drops quickly. We have had many, many episodes where she said she felt fine, but she looked different to me, so I would test her and she would be in the 40's.

Before Christmas, she was walking out to the bus stop, and just fell. I thought she might have slipped on ice, until I noticed her eyes looked funny. I immediately took out my emergency kit and treated her. When she was still unable to even stand 5 mins later, after 3 glucose tabs, I gave her an entire juice box and 2 more glucose tabs.

By the time I treated her and carried her into the house and was able to check her blood sugar, 20 mins had past and she was only 42! So who knows how low she truly was..yikes.

Her endo said she has what is known as hypoglycemia unawareness, where she is simply not able to feel the symptoms of a low coming on, until it drops to a dangerous level.

So I am always on the look out for odd behavior, and looking at her face to see if she is pale or her cheeks are red, or if her eyes look "low"..these are signs I am able to pick up on that indicate a low.

Her 9 year old brother is also very good a detecting a low coming on, he said he can tell she is going low as she gets bratty. He use to say, "mom.. Mikayla's being a brat, you need to check her blood sugar" :rolleyes: I had to tell him that saying it that way, hurt his sisters feelings, so now he just says " I think you need to check Mikayla's blood sugar" and winks at me.

I am told that she will eventually be able to feel a low coming on, but as we are only 7 months into this, I have no idea when it will happen.

~Mik's Mom

19. Mik's Mom

Mik's Mom Approved members

Hi Shannon,

We are fairly new to diabetes. I was told to do a middle of the night check by her endo, maybe because she is hypoglycemia unaware, where she can't feel a low coming on?

But I too was a basket case, worried about lows. For me, the 3 mins it takes to wake up and test my daughter, gives me a piece of mind and I always go right back to sleep if her #'s are okay.

A few times she was low and I had to treat her. Only once did she wake up on her own with a low. I sleep with a baby monitor next to my bed, this way I can hear her if she starts to fuss, or starts to toss and turn, both symptoms of a low in her case.

I am fortunate, that my daughter sleeps right through her finger pricks. She has no discomfort at all. I have an extra meter in the desk by her bed and a tub of wet wipes to wash her finger and it truly only takes me a couple of mins.

My daughter has been on lantus about a month and also uses novolog to cover her meals. Like with most illnesses, all children are different and require different treatment. I'd call your endo and see what he/she says.

~Mik's Mom

20. Sweetkidmom

... I think this probably describes the problem I have with testing at night very well: I have great trouble falling asleep again. I never fall asleep easily, it takes about an hour. And the following day I feel wrecked the whole day. Anyone who can lay their head on a pillow and just fall asleep should please realise how lucky you are! :)

I often feel I fall far short of the Good Control Ideal because of this difficulty with waking up at night. But I guess we just do the best we can with what we have...:(