- advertisement -

middle of the night basal needs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dqmomof3, May 11, 2011.

1. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Are your D kid's basal needs way high in the middle of the night? Jayden's highest basal of the day is between midnight and 3am, and I think I need to raise it again. I hate those nights where she hasn't had anything to eat since two or three hours before bed, goes to bed at bg 115, and at 2am is 350! Last week she was in the 220 range at 2am, so I raised the basal. Got about four days of in-range numbers at 2am and then wham...now we're in the 300s. BLECH. Bumping the basal again. We'll be over 2 units an hour when I make this change, at least for this part of the night.

2. Lize

Lize Approved members

I'm having the same problem with my DD. Puberty hormones maybe:confused:

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

Yup, same here! We just upped his basals from midnight to 6 am and might have to do it again. Gotta love puberty..... :rolleyes:

4. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Definitely, much higher during the night.

5. BrendaMc

BrendaMc Approved members

Ours are highest then too! Went to bed at 118- 3 am 240? Nothing before bed.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I think most kids have their highest basal needs in the middle of the night or very early morning because of growth hormones. I know Kaylee's use to be the lowest in the middle of the night, its slowly, very slowly changing.. its kind of cool to be able to see the change though. Most parents don't know anything about growth hormones, but we get to see it first hand. :D Currently Kaylee's highest needs are at night, around 8pm through midnight then they drop drastically.. her highest use to be during the day.

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Yup, 3a-5a is his highest setting and it's almost double what it is at 10p.

8. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

Ours is highest in the middle of the night too between midnight and 3am. I hate it too when he goes to bed at a good number only to be 100+ points higher a few hours later. We just upped ours a bit more yesterday.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Jack has the "younger kid pattern", so his basals are highest from 8-midnight, but we see the same thing when he's growing. It's those basal needs that increase and then drop again without warning. It drives me batty, so I can't imagine what puberty must be like! :eek:

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Ours are double from 9pm tll midnight. It is usually 1 hour after she really falls asleep, so on weekends we usually feed the insuiln with a drink/treat if she is up late.

Last summer before she was in school I actually had a bed bolus routine when she was really growing.

11. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

Why is this? Ashlee's basals are highest at this time period as well.

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I don't know why, but for pre-pubescent kids, it's the "normal" pattern. When they start going through puberty, it shifts to later in the night like the OP's daughter. Of course, not all kids follow this pattern, but my understanding is that a majority of them do.

13. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

Same here, Aiden's highest basal rate is from midnight - 4:00. He's only 5, so don't think we can blame that on puberty yet ;)

14. suzyq63

suzyq63 Approved members

Alison's basals are also highest between 12 and 2 am. She goes from a .350 between 9-12 to 1.750 between 12-2; her basals quintuple (is that a word?) then drop back to .750 at 2 a.m. We are having to make adjustments every few days at all different times of the day, although nights are the most common adjustments. Puberty is definitely a challenge.

15. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

My 11 yr old son's lowest time of day for basals is between 1-6 am.

16. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Right now mine are lowest at that time, but when I was a younger teenager that was definitely my time of most basal need (like double the usual).

17. manda81

manda81 Approved members

11am-3am here is our highest, and we're nowhere near puberty. That period of basal is double (or a little more than double) our other basal settings.

18. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Thanks, all, for the replies. I am amazed that I'm giving my kid over 2 units an HOUR in basal alone! It's only that midnight to 4am time slot, but still...I hate basals that are that high while I'm sleeping.

19. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

This is also a tough time for my son!! His a1c shot up quite a bit from using the pump with lantus as his only basal. Plus, I was correcting him all night long. His a1c went down a full point by using both Lantus and the pump for his basal, his highest basal rate is from 12-3.

20. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

This is ours. And we also see the increase and then the drop again stuff. I wish we can predict those times!

She's been running high again at night and we've been doing a lot of corrections at night lately and then going low at 2am. I finally had an "enlightened" moment this morning and upped her basals starting at 8pm instead of the usual 9pm and then lowered the midnight considerably. My dh still gets freaked out by how much she gets per hour at those hours.

However, unlike what all our CDEs suggest, I again have to up that starting at 5am or she'll wake up over 200!