- advertisement -

Metformin?

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by ggmum, Mar 17, 2007.

1. ggmum

ggmum Approved members

I started on metformin last week. I haven't had too many side effects, apart from an upset stomach. How long should it take to get used to it? I am sick of running to the loo. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks

2. 2delta1

2delta1 New Member

I have used Metforum for over 20 yrs now and not had any side affects from it ever. If your having some minor difficulties I would just suggest you give it a few weeks and see if the problem disappears. If not then it would be a quick trip back to the Dr to clear the problem up I would think.

3. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

I've used metformin for awhile and am in the process of uping my dosage. One thing I discovered is that I cannot use regular metformin - the digestive upsets are too bad and last too long! But the extended release formula is totally different - I think it is called Metformin ER or XR.

Also some good news - if you can use the generic version (of either regular or extended release) you can purchase it at Target or WalMart for $4.00 for a month's supply. That is cheaper than if I buy it using my prescription insurance and pay the copay.

4. hmstone12@hotmail.com

hmstone12@hotmail.com New Member

Metformin info

Your dose should have been started at a low dose 500mg/2x day. Using a slow taper will help with the digestion problems. The XR is sometimes better tolerated. Usually the GI side effects will go away in a month or two. Taking the medication with food will also help (usually breakfast and dinner).
    Hope this helps!;)

5. jstump7697

jstump7697 Approved members

i noticed it gave me bad headaches and acne on my bald head.

6. redvoodoo378

redvoodoo378 New Member

I've been taking only the generics since being dx'd in April 07.

I was taking 500mg/2x a day for a month, then the dr. upped my dosage to 1g/2x a day. I had some GI distress for the first couple months, but find I'm fine now IF, and this is a big IF, I eat a meal with my dosage.

I also take 30mg of Actos each morning and 10mg of Lipitor at bedtime.

Thanks for mentioning the acne, I am about to call my dr. about my sudden acne breakouts...mine are also on my scalp and also my back and shoulders.