- advertisement -

Met with the Navigator Rep

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

He actually came out to my house because of where he was when.

I think I like it. It is a little big but I can adjust to that. I won't mind using the back of her arm except in the summer, because I don't want a big white "untanned" spot on the back of her arm or her thigh.

I'm encouraged by the range. We have the "potential" to have the remote on my nightstand - I think mine is about 15 feet from her bed and he said that people have been getting more than the 10feet. If not, he suggested I put it outside her door with a baby monitor for us to hear the alarms, which is an interesting idea because then I can check the monitor without opening her door and going in.

The unit downloads into Co-pilot software, which is the same (I think) that the Minimed CGMS uses. I like the data that is has.

"Unofficially" people are getting amazing amounts of days out of the sensors. And after the 10hr and 12hr calibration, I like the idea of calibration once a day, and the idea of having an "8-hour window" to calibrate after the calibration alarm sounds

So, I think I'm going to go for it.

2. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

Congrats on hopefully a decision. I know after I placed the order for our Dexcom I started to get second thoughts because I really liked many features of the Nav like the range, but didn't like the size for my little one. Now that we are up and running I like our Dex, so hopefully you will be equally as happy!

3. buggle

buggle Approved members

Actually, you have 3 calibrations within the first 24 hours -- 10, 12 and 24. Then, you one at 72 hours and that's it. You have the 2nd, 4th and 5th day without calibrations. We are trying to go for 10 days on each sensor too. His skin looks just the same, whether it's 5 or 10 days.

I hope the size works on a kid as small as Emma. I know other little kids are using them.

4. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Carson's starting the Navigator tomorrow! I'll have to let you know how it goes :D

5. Nancy in VA

Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, he did explain about the startup. I like that when it alarms for a calibration, you have 8-hours. On the guardian, it stops giving readings until you calibrate and if you are running high or low, too bad - you have to calibrate.

6. buggle

buggle Approved members

We usually insert at night and calibrate in the morning. For the 24 and 72 hour calibrations, we just turn off the system alarms and wait until the following morning. It keeps reading, which is nice.

I know that you're very likely to run into problems with it, because as Monica says, they have a long way to go and they cut corners on quality to increase profit. But overall, it is an amazing thing. Once you get the feel for what the interstitial glucose means and figure out Emma's patterns, I think you'll love it. It's such a relief to know that that they're ok while they're sleeping. I hold it on my lap while we're traveling and I don't have to worry if Brendan's asleep in back that he's low. The peace of mind at night is wonderful.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

Sounds very promising, Nancy! My only question to you is.... What did he think of your clean house?! ;):D:)

8. Nancy in VA

He's a guy - what do you think? I'm not sure he noticed!

But my hubby did! :)

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

good luck!! we all sure do know too much about each other what with this little facebook addiction we have going LOL.

10. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Jacob's endo has been trying to talk us into the Navigator at the last two appointments. It would mean not waiting for the Animas/Dexcom integration. It might be at least worth meeting with a rep though, huh?

Good luck Nancy!
    And Brenda, I look forward to hearing how it goes with Cameron.:) Keep us posted!

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

Facebook? Facebook? What is this Facebook you're talking about? I know nothing about this Facebook! Never been on there, never seen it! Nope, not me!!!!!!!:rolleyes:;);):D

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Copilot is the software Cozmo pump uses, Abbott meters and the Navigator uses.

I believe Minimed has their own software.

13. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

At the clinic the other day our LNP was saying that one of our patients wore the same sensor for 34 days!!!!! I was shocked! :eek:

The CoPilot software is great and the CGMS is relatively easy to download in my opinion.

14. Nancy in VA

Dave : you mentioned the integration. I thought I would wait for that too but honestly, I've decided that I don't want to have to look at her pump to see what's going on, especially since we have the remote now and rarely even pull out the pump now. I think when someone is self-managing that integration is great, and we have to deal with carrying two devices but the fact I can just put it on the table while she's running around playing and are what's going on us appealing to me.

15. selketine

selketine Approved members

I'm glad you liked it - we liked it too but haven't been able to get it through the Kaiser system even to the point that they accept or deny it! I will have to push harder to get it through. I think Kaiser out in California is on the list of insurances that will pay so I might be in luck. I'm afraid they will only pay for the Minimed one though. I've been working with them since last Fall. I wish Animas would come out with something better than the current Dexcom unit.

Any idea what the part under the skin is make of? William seems to be allergic to the stuff used in cannula sets (he uses a steel needle set). Without a demo there is no way to know if he would react to the sensor part that is put under the skin. I'd hate to get the whole thing and then him not be able to use it because of an allergic reaction.

Children's must have come a loooooooong way from their ultraconservative approach! They used to hardly not put anyone on pumps - much less younger kids. It is great that they are recommending the CGMS - that will help all of us because they have a big influence on the local area (including training school nurses who then come away thinking "if Childrens does it this way then you should do it this way).

16. Nancy in VA

Selketine:

Maybe you can talk to the Navigator rep - it would be the same one as me - and see if you can actually have an insertion done. At a minimum you could ask for more information about the materials in the sensor. Its pretty teeny and shorter than the cannula in a 6mm Inset

Let me know if you want his phone # and I can PM you

17. selketine

Holy Guacamole!

The Abbott rep just called and she said that Kaiser actually approved the request! I am really in shock cause I hadn't heard from them in months. I guess she has been working with our pedi endo and they had to send all his medical records and justifications and all that - which they did a few weeks ago.

I'll believe it when I see it on my doorstep but...go figure! What timing eh?:eek:

Guess I better call about that sensor...:)

18. Nancy in VA

It was the karma we sent into the ethos! :) I'm so happy!

19. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

Carol, that is great! Congrats...!

now for Nancy's turn!!! :D

20. selketine

Are you going through insurance Nancy? I didn't know if you still had to seek approval or knew you had it or are going OOP.

The Abbott people did all the work for us...assuming I actually really get the thing. I still can't believe it.

William has a Ping too - this is his 2nd Animas pump and he just started with the new one in January. He had an Animas 1200 before that.

What I really liked about the Navigator - I know I should say the accuracy it supposedly has - but is the way the sensor goes in (not at an angle). It reminds me of his rapid D sets and it looks so much less painful than the MM sensors to me personally.