- advertisement -

Met the school nurse...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by januaryblue, Aug 26, 2010.

1. januaryblue

januaryblue Approved members

My husband had a brief chance to meet with the school nurse last week and I met her today. (She's there once a week). She is the parent of a T1 too.

Overall it was a good meeting. She's very nice and I think the year will work out fine overall, especially since DH and I have flexible schedules and that apparently is what will be needed. It was a good meeting but there were a couple things I didn't really appreciate or like.

When asked about the new law in CA about only nurses giving insulin, she said that the district, the school and she all agreed with the nurses union that only a nurse should give injections. I didn't really expect anything different, since I'm sure she's part of the nurses union. Samantha is not on shots at this time during the day, but when she is the nurse said that we would need to be able to give her shots or find family or friends that we approved to come and do it. I think we may be able to make it work, but I can see where it could become a real issue for other families and where in a year it could be difficult for us too. The other thing she said was that a nurse could be hired by the school, but "no one else has ever done that before" and that money comes directly from the schools general fund since Sacramento doesn't allocate funds for that. And the school doesn't really have the money for that. I totally appreciate the lack of funding, and wish there was a better way, but once again that was a pretty heavy guilt trip to be laid and I don't know how families that have fewer options would make that work.

The other one was that she talked about another parent that is a D advocate in our area as really nice, but "militant." I think she used the word "militant" at least 3 times. She even said she was a difficult parent to deal with. So if I fight for something for my daughter am I going to be labled "militant?" Kind of seemed like a harsh word.

Lastly, as I mentioned her son has D and she was telling me how wonderful it was that he was low carb and talked about that for a while. I'm all for healthy eating and living, but I don't see insulin as medication. Her body produces insulin as does mine, our kids just get theirs in a different way.

All that too be said, those were the three main things that I didn't like from the meeting, overall it was pleasant, she seemed nice, and I think we will be able to work out the kinks. I just feel for the families that don't have it as easy.

2. LARSMS

LARSMS Approved members

Good thing the law does not see lack of funds as an excuse not to provide necessary care, including insulin administration at school, for diabetic children.

She sounds a bit passive-aggressive to me.

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

absolutely UNTRUE!! This is the problem in CA.. Parents are NOT required under the ADA to come in.. The SCHOOL must provide care.. if CA wants to play hardball about their nurses union only giving shots.. the PARENTS of CA need to start fighting back and SHOW them how difficult this is with the respect of funding and lack of nurses.. NOTHING will change until the parents start putting in formal complaints.. if you are labeled as a pain in the @ss parent.. oh well.. The SCHOOL is to provide her care while she's at school.. you don't need flexible hours at work or need to be 'on call'.. I get the feeling there are way to many parents in the state of CA that are being 'bullied' into doing the care for their kids at school.. start filing ORC complaints and requesting the ADA's help when there are violations of the federal laws.

4. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

I would have probably gotten upset and asked "Who provides insulin and diabetes care for her son?" :mad:

Hope everything works out for your child. Kim is right the school must provide care.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

The key statement in her message is illegal.

Its fine that CA says only a nurse can give injections.

But FEDERAL LAW says that a diabetic must be administered insulin in school by school personnel - that a parent cannot be required to come in and do that.

So, if Federal law says the school has to give injections, and CA says that school person has to be a nurse, then that school needs to get that full-time nurse hired ASAP.

You can't wait until your daughter ends up on injections to start this fight - because it will take you a while and during that time, you may find yourself going up to school all the time.

6. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I really feel for you guys in California. I would be labeled a militant mommy too, I'm sure; but its going to take an army of militant mommies to get the change you guys deserve out there!

I would try to rally with the other D mom and see what the 2 of you can accomplish for your kids. Neither one of you should HAVE to go up to school and give injections. But, I'll be honest, with a child that young I probably would choose to go up there at the same time I was fighting the system. Does that make sense? It could be a long fight, and I would not want my child to suffer during that time.

7. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

militant??? sign me up as Colonel K then :mad:

8. januaryblue

januaryblue Approved members

Just another quick note, I was talking to one of my daughters teachers. It's a team teacher situation so I had not had a chance to speak with this one much as S was out of school on her days last week. As we were talking about insulin she asked me if the school would have to hire an RN to come and give her shots. I kind of paused and said, "well..." and I told her what the nurse had said about no one else had done it before and she said there was another school in the district that did for a student and she asked, "What are parents that work supposed to do?" I like Mrs. S! :)

Just curious though, if it's a federal law is the federal government supposed to pay for it or is it still up to the local school, because from what I understand it's not even the state that pays for it, but the school districts general fund.

The whole things pretty screwed up if you ask me. Not to get too hot topic-y, but Wall Street gets a bail out and our kids are left to fend for themselves. :mad:

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

The Federal gov't doesn't pay for the nurse. All the federal law says that they have to accomodate the medical needs of T1s in school - they don't care how the school chooses to meet those needs

BECAUSE CA says it has to be a nurse, they are screwing themselves. The state or county or the school has to pay for the nurse if that's what they are sticking with.

10. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

to the poster that says we need to stand up and fight for our rights here in California, I completely agree. I have never been one to 'fight the system', maybe this is something I should really think about doing. But by the same token, we still need to make sure that our children are being taken care of with minimum interruption to them. I don't want Kyle to be the kid with the mom that's known as the PITA......but I do know that I'm his only advocate. So I just do whatever it takes to minimize the issues that arise.

His particular school district has a nurse, but she handles multiple schools so it wasn't feasible for her to be at his school at lunch to give him his shot. It was really kind of discouraged, the way it was put to me in the first place. Yes, I could have demanded it. But did I really want Kyle stuck in the office waiting in case she had an emergency and couldn't get to him? Heck he just wanted to get out and play and who can blame him? When we were first dx (2yrs ago) I missed a lot of work...esp when he switched from nph to humalog. I'm starting to sound like a broken record lol, but i'm still amazed that they would rather my 9 yr old newly dx son learn how to do his own shot than a trusted, trained adult.

I'm thankful that he's old enough now to do a lot of his own care and that we are pumping, but I do feel for the younger ones just starting out. I don't even think we'll bother much with the Health Clerk this year. He has a cell phone, he can call me and we'll just handle it that way. It's not perfect, but then again is anything about this disease? :cwds: