- advertisement -

Mental Health Research specific to Diabetes???

Discussion in 'Research' started by Ronin1966, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello:

What kind of reserch is being done specific to the MENTAL HEALTH aspects of our very chronic disease?

There is lots done as to the chmistry, biochemistry, pharmacology of the disease. But specific to the mental health aspects not much at all... by comparison.

Who is doing the diabetic psychology research? Anybody...:eek:

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

3. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

4. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello Jonah:

Exploring the psychological effects of the chronic nature of our disease is more the gist of what I'm seeking. Still searching for the precise key words but not coming up with anything good yet.

I've never seen anything on the chronic aspect, either exploring-enhansing the long term mental health of diabetes folks 20, 30 40 + years in.

What little I've encountered re: mental HEALTH (note my emphasis ;) ) has been pretty kindergarden level stuff rah-rah "...you can live easily and well with diabetes..." (imitating the dopey-silly diabetes commercials)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What do you make of those studies all being foreign based? There are a lot of places doing research here. I want to believe I'm just not using the right keywords but frustrated by not finding really anything in the right arena.

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

This is an interesting topic. I don't understand what you're looking for exactly. Is it the "quality of life" aspect of it, in terms of how people with T1 D view it and feel about it or the actual physiological going-ons and how the brain reacts to the "chronic-ness" of it all? Sorry, but I'm trying to understand.

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

7. ecure

ecure Approved members

I read several research about diabetes and mental disorder. I heard testimonies from several diabetes type 1 too. I remember one testimony from engineer with advanced mathematical skill before the diagnosis of diabetes type 1 .. He has hard time to process easy mathematical problem now.

It clearly showing the potential effect of hypo and hyper on the brain cognition. As i see, the hypo and hyper affect differently the brain cognition . Hypo affects more the brain at short term and hyperglycemia is more at long term .

It's another good reason to control your sugar tightly. So you could avoid potential disastrous effect on your brain.

Some researches even say the Alzheimer , dementia is almost unavoidable at long term with unstable diabetes ever-present.

Some researches talk about the potential mild cognitive decrease .

So, if you have pretty stable, it should remain very mild difference between a normal subject and a diabetes subject.. If you have a diabetes very unstable, you could have a big gap with normal subject in special brain functions like :
    executive functions
    cognitive flexibility
    anticipation
    fluid intelligency
    psychomotor speed,
    processing speed,
    attention,
    working memory,
    verbal ability,
    general intelligence,
    executive functions
    memory,

It's really complete list .... :) As i think , It's only the most instable diabetes cases would have all the functions affected at the same time.
    I think the executive function is the most common affected function...as i remember from my readings,

I found a research recently about the possible Encephalopathies complications : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20798963
    The hallmark of encephalopathy is an altered mental state.

You are welcome to share other informations..

Thank you

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  8. Trev

Trev Approved members

I agree it is not as obvious in the media, as to how linked mental health and Diabetes is, but it's out there. The organization I work for are currently studying the link between diabetes and depression. Take care. Great Thread.