- advertisement -

Menarche delay and menstrual irregularities persist in adolescents with type 1 diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Ellen, May 6, 2011.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

Interesting article. The delay does not seem to be huge, but I am not convinced its as tied to D control as it is to the weight loss that accompanies dx. I'd love to see some more info on this one (DD is 12.8 at this time).

3. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

My DD was dx at the age of 8.5. She just had her first period at 12.67.

However, heredity plays a role as well. Her weight and height mirrors mine at her age. I started at 13.42.

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Particularly since A1c didn't correlate, I wonder if there's something that contributes both to risk of developing type 1 diabetes, and with menarche (and btw, menopause is also related as being later in women with type 1 diabetes). My guess is that the growth pattern most associated with type 1 diabetes- which is to say, growth spurts instead of constant growth- is more associated with earlier onset, and that that's more associated with later puberty.
    Actually, having typed "later puberty" I wonder if puberty is later in boys with type 1 diabetes as well.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I wonder the same thing. My son's was later but he dad didn't hit a growth spurt until 9th so they said it was genetic?

6. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

We just switched endos and he asked ALOT of questions about the heights of people in our family and when his dad had his growth spurt as a teen etc. Now I am very curious and on the alert about growth and how it relates to problems of the endocrine systems or growth. If anyone has any reading material to suggest on the subject let me know.

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Wonder if you are at our endo. They also asked a lot of questions about heights of family and when his dad hit his growth spurt. We go to Emory children's