- advertisement -

Meeting school nurse for the 1st time...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by vanessa22, Apr 29, 2012.

1. vanessa22

vanessa22 Approved members

This week Brielle has Kindgergarten registration & screenings so we'll be meeting her elem school nurse for the first time. Just trying to make a list of things to ask if anyone has any good questions or things they wished they had discussed early on but forgot to. I have spoke to her via email and know a little about her, she had a child in the past on a pump in the school.

Also just wondering what everyone does when their child's school nurse is absent....

Thanks for any advice.

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

This is always a bit scary meeting the nurse at school. Someone who you will trust doing what only you can do and do right;) Or thats how it feels at first isnt it? I would try to get a basic health plan written up for the nurse. We have one of these and a 504 plan. You may want to have both as well. The 504 is a legal document that says that the school has to do certain things to make sure your daughter's diabetes is taken care of while she is at school and that she has all the opportunities there of any other child (that is if this is a public school she will be attending)

The health plan outlines what your daughter's day is like diabeteswise. When she gets tested, how much insulin per carbs, I give approx the same amount of carbs for snack (25) and lunch (65) each day so that its easy to know how much insulin Steven needs. Then give directions about correction doses if there are any. You can include normal signs of low blood sugar that youll see.How to treat low blood sugars. Where she should have her blood tested. Things like this can be included. Also, you can go over the supplies that youll need to keep at school and where they will be stored. A kit with a meter, insulin pen (if thats what shes using) insulin, pen needles, glucagon pen, glucose tabs and other treatments for lows, any other things you 2 can think of that you might need.

As far as what to do if the nurse is absent. If this is a public school they have to have a sub nurse or a staff member who is trained in diabetes care. That is why I recommend drawing up a 504 plan as this will be part of the plan. You should never have to be at school to provide care for your daughter unless you want to volunteer to be there or go on field trips.

I hope the meeting goes well:cwds:

3. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

It all depends on who our sub nurse is. I am there enough any way so if I have to go in and dose her I am ok doing it. Our nurse also lets us know when she will be out of the office. Sorry not supposed to be a frowny face on the subject line not sure how it got there.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

Don't be pushy about the 504. Just go into the meeting with an open mind. If things don't go well, then you can always have that to use. There are 3 diabetics at our elementary school and none of us have the 504. I give credit to a principal and a nurse that are willing to work for what is best for the child.

We have a 3 page sheet from our peds endo that is filled out with info for the school nurse. She has had one in the past that is from the school nurse's website.

She keeps track of all of their blood sugars in a log book. We also keep snacks in her office as well as the classroom.

Her office is on the way to the gum and lunch room so that is convenient for testing prior to those.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think it's always good to go into any meeting with a new partner ( and that's what the school nurse is, a partner) with an open mind, but that, in my opinion, does not mean without a 504.

There is nothing inherently confrontational about requesting a 504. It's simply a document that brings everyone to the table, establishes protocol and makes clear the chain of action while assigning responsibility for specific tasks. A well formulated 504 benefits all parties involved, not just the D child.

I would also stay clear of assuming that any school nurse knows anything about one child's disease management simply because she has in her care another child with the same medical condition. All D kids are unique and ever family should be able to expect a school nurse to abide by their management expectations and not some generic diabetes management plan.

Good luck!

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

At our school back when William started, the Kindergarten registration was hectic and not a good time to really sit down and talk to the nurse. She was there but it wasn't a private area and many parents also wanted to talk to her - and she had to talk to them. It worked best to introduce myself and tell her briefly that I am enrolling a kid with type 1, etc. Maybe give her a brief letter and ask her to call you for a more private appointment.

If she has time that day to spend with you, make sure you get any forms you need and find out what the nurse needs you to bring before the 1st day of school so she can dispense medication, know what the doctor's orders are, etc.

The 504 plan is always a good idea - but that is not handled by the nurse. You would want to put a request in writing to the principal of the school - and the school may not act on it until a few weeks after school starts. Generally they won't hold a 504 meeting for a child not even there yet - and they are not required to hold it. Do some research on the 504.

The first week of school was ridiculous - IMHO - but the nurse and health room staff don't even come back until right before school starts and then they are inundated with all the health forms and meds from all the kids in school. It is very hard to get them ready for your child to appear that first day and they actually know how to take care of them. If you can possibly be available the first day or two when school starts it may help. However you do NOT want to get them thinking that you are going to be there to do all the care. Try your best to work as much out as you can before school starts. (In our case the nurse was new - a different nurse had been there at Kindergarten registration so it did me little good to do much with her! We actually went through 5 nurses his kindergarten year!:eek:).

7. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

You will want to ask her what she needs from you. She has to follow rules which vary by school district and state. She probably needs doctor's orders (the school district may have a form for the doctor).

I would ask how routines were handled in the past (with the other diabetic child who was on a pump), take notes and go home and think about whether you're happy with that or whether you think you will need changes.

Does she prefer phone calls or email? Let her know which you prefer (and when you want to be called). Ask her how she handled notification of a sub (our nurse always emailed me about it and I usually stopped by at lunch if there was a sub).

We always had a wonderful relationship with our elementary school nurse. You definitely need a plan, but it's good to be flexible and see how things are actually working once the school year starts.

8. Tyggirl

Tyggirl Approved members

I'll be watching this thread as we are in the same boat this week!