- advertisement -

Medtronic vs Animas?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by pam_r, Jan 30, 2010.

1. pam_r

pam_r Approved members

We are going to be switching to the pump once we figure out which one we want. We had a Medtronic sales rep over on Thursday who was here for 2 hours. We spent 5 minutes talking about the actual pump and we didn't talk about any features on it. I thought that was why he was coming over. Can you tell me what you like about the pump that you are currently using.
    Thanks!

2. mamort

mamort Approved members

We went with animas because of the smallest basal dose, and it is touted as waterproof. We have been very happy with the pump and also with the customer service so far.

edited to add: I love the name Gavin

3. mph

mph Approved members

We LOVE LOVE LOVE the Medtronic 522 with integrated CGMS!:D

I chose Medtronic FOR that feature because I knew we would be getting a CGMS.;)

Overall, it has been a wonderful insulin pump. Easy to use and very durable (it's been dropped and banged around plenty:rolleyes:).

I especially love the Easy Bolus, Bolus Wizard, and curvilinear calculation of active insulin. I can push a few buttons and see Nick's average (from 1-31 day average...whatever you wish) meter bg (low and high values), sensor bg (low and high), # of readings, avg insulin, % bolus and % basal, #carbs, # of boluses per day, and how those boluses were distributed (food/correction/manual)(% for each!!!). Love that info!!!

Oh, and the CareLink reports are great!!!!!

My only complaint is that the alarms should be LOUDER for us hard of hearing sound sleepers.:cool::cwds:

4. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Kaleb could not decide which one he wanted so he had a rep from both Animas and Medtronic come to the house. MM came first, Kaleb was pretty sure that was the one he was going to pick, until Animas came. After he got a chance to talk to both and play around with both pumps, he really wanted the Animas. He was almost 17 when he picked it out, so his reasons were a little different than my reasons for liking it.

I liked the small basal amounts. He liked the screen. I liked the remote bolus feature, he liked the blue color. Even though he is older, he is still honeymooning and still adjusts his basal rates by .025.

I really do not think you can go wrong with either pump. I heard that Animas is suppose to be making some kind of announcement next week, maybe it will be about a CGM, I am not sure.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee's been pumping with MM for 3.5 years. We have never had an issue. Customer service is awesome. They have a 24hr helpline, if you need a new pump, its there by the next morning (except sundays because there is ups/fedex). Kaylee was barely 3 when she started pumping. We thought not having the smallest basal would be a problem, but it hasn't been, not at all. We love the fact that the cgms is intergrated, but we've also got the guardian unit, so the sensor can be linked to her pump AND I can have the guardian.. we've used it on several trips taht were a few hours long, it works great with her in the way back of the van and us up front.. we also use it at night and during school, although this wasn't our original intention. The love fact that the menus and simple and easy to navitage through.

Kaylee's MM pump is out of Warrenty in the beginning of June. We fully intend to go with minimed again. They are suppose to be coming out with a new pump (suppose to be Q3, FY10, which ends tomorrow 1/31, I'm told) so it really should be out any time. This new pump will have a ton of new features, including smaller basal and bolus capibilities, and new alarms for the cgms that it doesn't currently have.

One complaint I hear is that animas has more button pushing that MM does to get through a bolus. Also Animas doesn't give you the dose, you have to dial it up.. it figures it out for you, but on the next screen you have to dial it up. On MM you don't have to do this, you do, however, have the option to change it, up or down. Having to put it in yourself can be seen as a pro or con, it all depends on how you want to look at it. Also, if you've never pumped before, you won't noticed the few extra button pushes, only those really going from MM to Animas would notice that.

MM also has a remote, not nearly as nice as Animas' though, and they have a link meter that uses one touch, just like the animas' link meter.

It really depends on what features you want and what works for your family.. they are all great pumps.

6. Toni

Toni Banned

We have had both pumps and still do (now have Ping as back up pump but have not used it yet). At dx, at 8 years, Sis chose the Animas because it gave the smaller basal increments and liked the waterproof component (don't wear pump while swimming, though). Now DN prefers the Minimed mainly because she does not have to dial in the bolus amount. We prefer Minimed because it holds more insulin than the Animas pump and she is now 13. Initially, we switched over because we needed to go with integrated cgms; however, when we use cgms, we now use Dexcom. Minimed did not break down (ever, for us) as much as the Animas pump did; though Animas is quick to give a replacement pump. Because of this, I do think the Minimed is a sturdier pump. Next pump will be chosen based on features offered at time of purchase, though we do prefer the Minimed brand.

7. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I went from MM to Animas and honestly the button pushes issue can go either way. It's fewer buttons on the Animas to see IOB for example.. and while it is more button pushes from the pump to bolus, I don't really notice any extra button pushes to bolus since I bolus 99% of the time from the meter... it's way more convenient even if you have to hit a few more buttons (and the meter has a back button, which the pump lacks).

The only thing I do on the pump is set temp basals and refilling the cartridge.

The meter-remote really had me sold on Animas - if MM came out with something similar it would have really been a much tougher choice.

8. Flutterby

the Animas ping doesn't have a back/esc button? what happens if you go into the wrong menu?

9. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

You scroll down to MAIN MENU and press OK. That takes you out of any of the menu choices. Check out the virtual Animas 2020 at their website. I wish they had one like that for the Ping.

I prefer Animas for two reasons: the low basal dose and that it's waterproof.

When I started pumping, I had one of the original Minimed Paradigms, the ones where they realized that it wasn't waterproof or even splash resistant and sent us all a letter after the fact. I felt more than a little misled, because I was told I would be able to take it in the pool or the shower. That was a major selling point and that they hadn't bothered to get their facts straight before sending it out into the market.

If they ever make the Minimed so that it is more than slightly splash resistant, I may try them again, but until then, I will stick with Animas after my current warranty expires this November.

10. Flutterby

When there is a small fracture in the casing it makes it not water proof anymore. They haven't changed their casing, its the same, they've changed the water proof to water resistant incase it gets a hairline fracture.

the New MM will also have the same low basal bolus rates as anmias they will also have a waterproof pump, I'm not sure if it'll be this next one that should be out anytime or the one after that..:)

11. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

Yes. I just wish that they had realized this prior to the launch, or at least prior to my choosing their brand. :rolleyes:

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The MM is as waterproof as the Ping. That is to say, they're both waterproof until they get a microscopic crack in the casing.

My son's pump spent 20 minutes floating around a waterpark before we found it. Longest 20 minutes of my life, but the thing was running like a champ when we fished it out.

13. Flutterby

That must have been scary Karla.. how did it come disconnected from him?

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Oh, this is where I get to out my DH as a moron. We had disconnected Jack, but my husband was keeping the pump in his pocket so that the CGM would pick Jack up intermittently. Well, DH FORGOT he had it in his pocket, went down a waterslide, and the pump fell out. He didn't realize until about 10 minutes later. This was at a HUGE indoor waterpark at Wisconsin Dells. To say that I was Freaking Out would be a huge understatement. :rolleyes:

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

The biggest problem I'm having with the Ping - which we have but still we cling to our old Cozmo :rolleyes: - is the 200u cartridge. It may not be an issue for you with one so young, but for our 12 year old girl I suspect it wasn't the wisest choice:eek:

16. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We haven't had a problem with the amount of insulin it holds - yet. I still only fill half way for three days for my 13 year old. He uses 10 units in basal. About the same in boluses.

What I miss in the Animas and wish Animas or Minimed would add.

1. Automatically changing basal programs for the days of the week. (Just like Cozmo had.) With real name shown on screen like Monday etc.
    2. 5% change of temp rates (Cozmo had)
    3. Site reminder (Cozmo had)
    4. Automatically give a set % more for numbers over 200, 300 etc. (Cozmo had)

5. Custom boluses with names you can create(Cozmo)
    6. Default carb amounts in custom boluses (Cozmo had) I had breakfast default to 48. Never had to type it in.

Come on Minimed or Animas lets add some of these.
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  17. Flutterby

I know its know funny.. but I"m laughing.. something my DH would do. ;)

18. Flutterby

Sounds like cozmo had a pump with some great personalized features.

the 5% change in temp rates.. can't you set a temp rate in the mm at 5%? or are you talking about something else?

19. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Maybe so? I have a Animas now and it only does 10% temp changes. Very possible that MM does. Don't know.

20. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

There's always an option to go to the main menu, but you have to scroll down to it, it's not a single button press... the Paradigm has a dedicated back button, as does the Ping meter.

Honestly, having had MM pump and my Ping, I don't find the lack of a back button to be a problem at all. Really the only thing I am missing is the "time to empty" that the Paradigm displayed... it made it really easy to know at a glance how long until I needed to refill the pump.

FWIW, when I had my first paradigm I swam with it for several months before they recalled it's waterproofness - and I never had a problem with it (I did go through a long string of replacement Paradigm pumps, but most had motor errors).