- advertisement -

Medtronic mySentry now available

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jeff, Jan 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Just saw this on Twitter. I really want to know how loud the alarms are... If they'd be loud enough to wake me, I might end up buying one even though my CGM is right beside me. :rolleyes:

ETA: Ah crap, don't tell me it's only for the Revel. Isn't that awesome for places where the Revel doesn't exist? I hope they're about to release an EU version which works for the Veo, since that's likely my next upgrade.

3. minniem

minniem Approved members

This is great information. We don't use a CGM yet, but just started with the MM Revel last month and I worried I would never hear the alarms in another room.

Thanks for sharing!:cwds:

4. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

I just called Medtronic in Canada and they know nothing about it:-(. So for once you guys are ahead of the game. I hope we don't have to wait too long up here.

5. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

It's also kind of pricy:eek:

6. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

You mean you don't have an extra $2,400 lying around? :rolleyes:

Medtronic must have some notion that at least some insurance companies will pay for this thing. I downloaded their "Reimbursement Tool Kit" and guess we'll give it a go. Our insurance was one of the first to cover CGM, and has also covered a Guardian for us, no questions asked, so I guess there's hope.

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Oh my. Just saw that. :eek:

8. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

Does anyone know if the "outpost" that has to be within 6 feet of the pump to make it work, uses batteries or a plug?
    ideally it would use both, but if it is plug only that would really limit its functionality when they are not sleeping.
    I get dexcom readings in my room already because the range is really good in our house, but the alarms are not loud enough IMO.

9. Freudie1

Freudie1 Approved members

The video on the minimed website shows the outpost must be <6 feet away from the pump to intercept the signal from the pump.

As for price, I JUST got off the phone with MM as one of my daughter's pumps (I have two T1 kids), warranty expired last month and we are getting the Revel.

The MySentry is a list of $3000, they are offering a "promotion" (note TODAY is the first day it has been released/available, so this is comical) for $2400.00. The rep did tell me there are additional discounts if you buy it with a pump at the same time for around $1900.00.

I can tell you for a fact that the pricing is ridiculous. The actual engineering of such a device is trivial, especially for what it can not do (its a monitoring system only, not two-way, etc).

Also, this still relies on the same horribly designed (I can debate this all day long as the FEW people I know that like it are greatly deluded by what little value it actually offers) and expensive CGMS system that has been out for a few years now from MM. There is supposedly a new glucose sensor on the way, but no actual details/dates are released.

In a nutshell, someone needs to form a dedicated T1 device company. They need to be foot in butt mode with the FDA. They need to stop letting profits drive quality in terms of these devices. They need to LISTEN to the actual users of the devices, incorporate said changes, AND work with the FDA (re: foot in butt mode) so that these devices don't take 10 years to get approval (you DO know how old the interface on the Paradigm pumps are right? Long story).

10. Style mom

I believe it only has a plug.

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Welcome to the site, I can see by reading your other posts you have made quite an impact already.

A few things to keep in mind: often times, the price of a device (or drug for that matter) is not proportional to the way it is engeneered or manufactured. There are many variables that go into pricing. And those variables may have nothing to do with that actual device or drug.

Also, profits do not always drive quality. Most compaines have quality systems that are not related to profits, marketing, etc.

As for FDA approval, the people who complain about how long things take to get approved are usually the same people who, when a drug or device harms someone, complain that the FDA didn't do a good enough job in the approval process. Tough to have it both ways.

Just some things to think about.

12. Freudie1

100% agree. The FDA process is often the cause of said perceived delays.

I also completely understand "development costs" etc being a business owner myself with several niche products. However here is something to consider:

How many MySentry units do you think will be sold in total? Take a guess. In fact simply look at the statistics for the # of T1 patients.

Point? I doubt they will sell enough to make MySentry even close to profitable. So what SHOULD a responsible corporation do in this scenario?

I believe it should be included in the CGMS starter pack. Or heck, raise the price from $1000 (what the cgms starter pack cost at the time we bought it) by $500 and go that route<--as a last resort though.

If you know you aren't going to make money on a product, you know that the original product has serious flaws (honestly, people use Radioshack speakers and baby monitors to hear the alerts??) THEN years later release a product that is simple in design, weak in function (50ft? wow), then charge 3g for it? Thats a problem scenario.

13. Style mom

I don't think they'll sell many MySentry units either. A lot depends on insurance coverage, but yeah. Even if insurance companies cover it, the market is small. I assume this is a step toward a better unit (and indeed, Medtronic's press release alludes to that). It's like the auto-suspend on the Veo. By itself, relatively unimpressive. But hopefully a step toward something good.

14. caspi

caspi Approved members

Did I miss where it said that people HAD to purchase this?? If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's really that simple.

15. Freudie1

Sorry for posting MY opinion on a new product that many people may be considering.

Sorry for bashing MM.

Seriously, this stuff bothers you?

16. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Freudie1, the issue is your tone. Please be respectful.

17. destea1

destea1 Approved members

Ouch on the pricetag, we're not in CGM territory (or probably even near it just yet!) but the current ones have alarms that just don't chime loudly enough correct? I foresee a monitor (baby monitor) in my kids room..ummm.... for LIFE. :)

18. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

19. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

We use the CGM 24/7 ... and no the alarms are not loud enough. We tried the baby monitor but that did not work well and the baby monitor actually could interfere with the sensor. We have been using the wireless microphone from Radio Shack ... however even that lacks in terms of hearing the alarms and we hear every toss and turn into the microphone, feedback, and static. Also, when friends are staying over, no girl wants to wear a wireless mic.

Freudie1, I also agree with Jeff, your tone is not very respectful to others and dissenting opinions.

I talked to Medtronic today and they indicated that you could be up to 100 feet away to get the signal and I believe their information reads 50+ feet away.

20. Cynthia G

Cynthia G New Member

We were part of a 3 week study of this product last Summer. For our family it was awesome. I was able to sleep confidently knowing that if anything was going on with my son's BG I would be alerted. The alarm was very unique and woke us up right away every time and we had it set very low (I have a habit of sleeping through alarms but did not with this one). I loved that it would alarm if it lost signal for any reason and I seem to remember it also having a battery backup but you did plug it into the wall. Our house is somewhat smaller approx 1000sq ft. but on most occasions the sentry would display his bg even though he was 4 rooms away from it. He had to have an "outpost" thing plugged into an outlet in his room and we had to have the "sentry" plugged into an outlet by our bed. Even at the lowest setting it glowed like a nightlight which took a little getting used to for me but was a fair tradeoff. $2,400 is not cheap but I feel it is worth it for the great sleep I got during the study. I am going to try to get the insurance to pay.