advertisement

Medtronic Minimed Enlite vs. Revel + Dexcom

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by diabetic1990, Jul 31, 2015.

1. diabetic1990

diabetic1990 New Member

Hello All,
    I am due to get a new insulin pump. I have currently been a Medtronic Minimed Revel user for five years. I am happy with this pump, it is easy to use and customer service is easy to get in touch with. I have used the CGM that came with it and wasn't in love with it (although didn't necessarily hate it as well). I have to say the site was annoying and bulky, which was one thing that deterred me from using it and also the accuracy was sometimes questionable, which made me had to check frequently to make sure my CGM wasn't off. I kind of figured that defeated the purpose of CGM and did not wear it. However, I do think I would benefit from the CGM and was recommended to try the Dexcom by a nurse. We could not set it up due to me having to go out of state for an internship, but now that I am due for a new pump and Minimed has its new pump, I almost ordered the 530G with Enlite. But I want to do research before going ahead with this pump. I am currently in the process of setting up an appointment with my clinic to test out the Dexcom for 7 days. What I liked most about Dexcom is the integration with the iPhone, etc. However, I see that Medtronic will be doing this too with a bluetooth sensor. It would be cool to have all the data-from my blood sugar testing, to CGM + insulin pump basal/boluses all under one setting.

With that said, I'm wondering if anybody here has personal experiences they may want to offer with Minimed + CGM. I may also consider the Animas One Touch Ping as well.

2. dennisdh

dennisdh New Member

I wear a MM 530G and Enlite sensor and currently I am also wearing a Dexcom gen 4. I am considering switching to an Animas Vibe with Dexcom sensor. and I am running a slew of tests. So far here are the pro and cons.

I've been wearing a MM pump for 17 years with a 300 unit reservoir so switching to an Animas pump which offers only a 200 unit reservoir is pretty much a show stopper for me considering I use 100 units per day. but I'm keeping an open mind and need to continue evaluating the 2 cgm systems

I have always had problems with accuracy and connectivity with MM cgm's and thought that the system was flawed but this week I had customer service send me a new transmitter and the connection problem seems to have all but gone away. although the range of the MM pump to sensor is only feet where dexcom is literally many yards.

the accuracy of the 2 sensors has been virtually a tie.

So for me right now minimed is still the winner.

3. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

In light of the fact that you are an adult, I'd head on over to tudiabetes.org and check out what everyone has to say about these two CGMs. From everything I've read, Dexcom is the winner by a longshot with the adult T1D population (at least the ones that hang out at tudiabetes.) Also, Dexcom definitely wins the popularity contest here on this Forum. Yes, there are some folks who swear by their Enlites and would feel lost without them, but those people are clearly few and far between. Many, many more happy Dexcom campers on both sites. But, YDMV...

4. iliisa

iliisa Approved members

HI,
    I have been using Medtronic insulin pumps for 14 years. I am using the Enlite sensor right now which I have found has given me much better accuracy than it's predecessor. I did not like inserting the old sensors. The new sensors are so easy and painless to insert - I much prefer to change my sensor site than my infusion site (never thought I'd say that). The new sensors last for 6 days too which is a bonus :). I have stuck with Medtronic for all these years partially because my Endo recommends it (he loves the reporting (the Pro version) that is available to them). Medtronic's customer service and support team have been another very positive reason for my using Medtronic. And yes, Medtronic just released their MiniMed Connect a couple of days ago and it shows the CGM data on an iPhone. I posted a review about it yesterday (I have been using it for 4 weeks now).
    Hope you find this helpful - your post was from July - have you made any pump decisions?