advertisement

Medtronic MiniMed Connect - Review

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by iliisa, Sep 29, 2015.

1. iliisa

iliisa Approved members

Medtronic announced the release of their MiniMed Connect app yesterday, September 28, 2015.

I have had the pleasure of trying out the MiniMed Connect for the past 4 weeks.

I love the "clean" neat packaging. The instructions to set it up are clear and easy to follow. It took me about 5 minutes to have everything communicating properly.

The MiniMed Connect informs me of important data on my iPhone – next CAL time, current sensor glucose, sensor readings for the prior 24 hours, battery life in uploader and pump, amount of insulin on board and left in reservoir, number of days left of sensor life and other information. I love having the option to glance at my phone instead of having to dig underneath my clothing in search of my pump!

You have an option to set up a Carelink Partner that can also view the data. This could be useful for parents of T1s - parents could have immediate access to their child's sugar levels while they are at school - parents could have access to the data when their older children are driving. For students away at college, the MiniMed Connect is very handy for endocrinologists to be able to view patient's data whenever changes to their routine is needed.

The MiniMed Connect can also be used between spouses - when 1 of them is traveling, the other can be kept aware of sugar levels at all times. Is it low? If so, did the pump go into Threshold Suspend? These are all "peace of mind" reasons why I love having my MiniMed Connect.

The screen itself is typical of an iPhone screen in that it is clear and colorful. The design of the software alerts you with a sugar reading in different colors, depending on whether your sugar is high, low, or normal.

I charge the uploader at night when I charge my iPhone. If this happens to be out of range of my pump, the Medtronic MiniMed 530 Enlite transmitter stores the information and sends it to the MiniMed Connect as soon as communications are re-established. There has never been a time when the data was missing on my iPhone.

I have come to love this cool tool and I recommend it to anyone who uses their iPhone a lot - I live for changes in the world of diabetes. I have seen many during the past 43 years and I know I will see many more in the future. Thank you Medtronic for keeping pace. :smile:

2. iliisa

iliisa Approved members

I would like to add that I was diagnosed T1 at age 11, 43 years ago (older bro and sis also T1). We had basically ZERO technology available to us at that time - i have seen many advances in the world of diabetes care and technology. I am also a Medtronic Ambassador which is how I was able to try out this device. I immediately thought of parents of children living with T1 how much more at ease a parent could be knowing at-the-moment sugar readings of their child, regardless of where their child was.

3. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Many of us parents have had this for awhile now with Dexcom Share.

But I'm sure Enlite users will be happy to hear that Medtronic now offers something similar.

4. scarral

scarral Approved members

Where can I get this? Is it an extra device that communicates with the pump or a smart phone app?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016