- advertisement -

Medtronic is Incompetent

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by moco89, Jun 10, 2014.

1. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I am beyond furious with Medtronic. In the past month, I have needed a replacement pump and a replacement transmitter, due to failed tests that warranted overnight shipment of the respective replacement devices. Both times, Medtronic has completely messed up shipping twice for each device due to shipment error.

For the pump, the pump just "didn't make it on the UPS truck" and they said they were "sorry". The following evening I go and check my email to find that they shipped the pump to the wrong address, which I had to immediately resolve. The most disappointing part about the pump error was that it was a button error, so I had to go back on shots.

For the transmitter, it was continuously giving "weak signal" alarms and failed the "test plug" test, therefore the transmitter was defective. I called Medtronic on a Friday night and they said that a new transmitter would be there on Saturday morning. Saturday morning comes and all I get is a metal canister to ship the defective transmitter back in and a USPS shipping return label. Needless to say I was furious. I called Medtronic and I actually had to convince the customer service rep that they were supposed to ship me a replacement transmitter initially as the transmitter was under warranty. She said she shipped a transmitter that would arrive on Monday. Well, it's Wednesday now and I have still not received a replacement transmitter. I called them today and was told that the UPS shipping label was created but the transmitter did not make it on the truck.

I have been a Medtronic customer on-and-off for 8 years now, and they have routinely messed up shipments like this over the years. I find this completely unacceptable, and to me, it's the "dog ate my homework" for a medical device company when they mess up shipments. They have left me in the dust. If they cannot properly ship things on time, which results in further disruption of treatment, then they cannot expect me to be their customer.

In addition, my pump warranty and transmitter warranty both expire in August. I was thinking about replacing those with an identical in-warranty 530G, but this series of incidents leaves me no choice but to consider competitors. Medtronic has left me in the dust.

For T:Slim users and Dexcom users, how do you like the devices? How is the customer service?

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Dexcom's customer service is FABULOUS. Complete opposite of Medtronic's CGM division. If a sensor is way, way off during the seven days, they replace it cheerfully without accusing the wearer or the wearer's parents of not taping carefully, etc. We've only need to have 2 or 3 replaced in 1.5 years. We're on our 5th receiver for various reasons, but there has been NO hassle with any of them. The only sad thing about that is losing the cumulative data. The sensors are great for about 10 days minimum, but we can often get more than that from them. If you're careful with the calibrations like Medtronic requires, the accuracy is phenomenal. My daughter and I have ZERO interest in returning to Medtronic's CGM.

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I've found t:slim and dexcom's customer service to be very good. I've never had the pump itself malfunction, but I have had questions about t:connect (software) and I've dealt with them about funky cartridges, a vacation pump, and the recall and they couldn't have been nicer. I also had (she moved to the home office in San Diego) a really friendly rep who sent my daughter a bunch of free clips, glucose tabs and a myabetic wallet. They even had a Christmas party with guest lecturer for all local t:slim owners in December (we couldn't go).

Dexcom has been good too. We just had a malfunction alarm today and they are sending a new receiver. I've called a couple of other times for sensors that fall off before 7 days and once when it wouldn't upload data (reset solved that) and they were very nice. My only issue with Dexcom is that sometimes the hold times are long. Today I got through immediately, but last time I called I spent almost an hour on hold.

4. Amzanderson

Amzanderson Approved members

I have nothing but RAVE REVIEWS for the customer service for both Dexcom and Tandem Diabetes (t:slim)!! They have been fabulous!

5. Amzanderson

Amzanderson Approved members

Also, the Dexcom has been an amazingly helpful device, and some days spot on to what my daughter's meter is reading.

6. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I'm on my 5th 530g since October for motor errors and batteries that would die after 2 days with no low battery warning. For the most part my replacements have gone off without a hitch. I had one where it didn't come and I had to call and it came the next day. Nonetheless, getting sick of calling, hearing their replacement spiel, and reprogramming pumps. I'm going to try Omnipod + Dexcom this summer. I've never had greet luck with the Medtronic CGMS technology. On top of inaccuracies, I get constant weak signals as well. Cautiously optimistic about Dexcom.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We never had an issue with MM customer service, but both Tandem and Dexcom are really great.

8. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

I cannot say enough great things about Dexcom. We realized the sound was no longer working on the receiver, and they overnighted us a new receiver the next day. :D

9. dpr

dpr Approved members

Sorry to hear your having problem with Medtronic. We have been a Medtronic customer for almost 3 years and are on our 3rd pump (due to no fault of Medtronic) and have had nothing but excellent service from them. Dexcom has excellent service and is a fantastic product!

10. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Highly recommend the tSlim and Dexcom. Customer service is outstanding with tSlim and I absolutely love the pump for her. Dexcom saved my sanity this last week when my daughter was hospitalized. I may post about the experience.

11. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

Tslim and dexcom's customer service are both amazing! I actually just had to replace my tslim this week. I called the customer service at around midnight or 1am on Tuesday, and they had the new one to me early Wednesday morning. The customer service guy made a mistake and accidentally said it would be here on Thursday, I didn't realize it, and woke up to an email from him apologizing for the mistake and reassured me it would be here Wednesday. They are always amazing! So is dexcom when I needed to get a new transmitter, it went flawlessly and got it the next day along with a new sensor just in case I had to remove mine early due to the transmitter issue. I highly recommend the pairing as well. Both because of the customer service, and the devices are awesome also. I missed my tslim when I had to go back to my old minimed for a day this week.

12. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I have had issues with MM since day one, with billing. They did replace K's pump in a decent amount of time last year when it got a crack. Cracked Saturday.. pump here on Tues morning. She is due for a new pump in November and she wants another medtronic one the idea of dealing with them again gives me anxiety... I am looking into the tslim for her but ultimately it is her decision.

13. janinealix

janinealix New Member

Dexcom has no compatibility with Mac computers. I cannot download any of my data for my doctor. I know it's off tangent, but wondered if anyone has any advice? Dexcom sure doesn't. Thanks!

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, it is frustrating. We were told we could run Bootcamp on the mac and then run the download program. I just run it on an old PC we have. You would think though that Dex would play well with others...