- advertisement -

Medtronic Infusion Sets

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomofSweetOne, Sep 15, 2013.

1. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We started with the Silhouettes at pump start and then last year switched to using Mios. I prefer the Mios because there is so much less tissue damage than we had with the Sils, but now we're getting kinks. I know Medtronic has other infusion sites, but I don't know anything about them. What set do you use & why do you prefer it? Do the ones with metal cannulas hurt to wear?

2. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Abbey has used sureT steel sets since starting to pump more than 5 years ago. We also use Mios. Started on sils, but those made me physically ill to insert, they were just too invasive for me. Sure T's are not painful for Abbey who was very thin when she first started pumping, they leave no bruising or red marks. When she removes one there is little more than a pin prick that is gone by the next morning. Abbey's last 3 days (usually) and sometimes 4 days when we forget a site change. Insertion is similar to pressing a thumbtack. Medtronic will send you a sample, you can get 6mm (what we use) or 9 mm needles and there are 2 different tubing lengths 23" and 32". We get 32" for arm sites and 23" for ab sites.

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Metal cannulas actually feel fine and you don’t notice them. I think they are a little cheaper per set, but you are technically only supposed to wear them 2 days. I would be interested to know if people actually follow that rule.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  4. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

How long has the kinking been going on? DD had a run of them, but once it stopped, it stopped. We started using the 9mm as soon as she had some curves.

5. Ti'sMom

Ti'sMom Approved members

We use the quicksets. I like not having to see the insertion. My ds thinks the pop is cool. Lol We haven't had any problems as of yet and we've been pumping since December 2012.

6. coeen

coeen Approved members

We use sureT steel sets. Haven't tried any others. We have been using them for over a year now. Rarely have any problems with them. I change it every 3 days like clock work. Once in a blue moon I have changed on day 4. Still no problems. His little behind never has marks or bruises on them. If there is a mark, it doesn't last long.

7. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We use the silhouettes on arms/legs and mios/quicksets on stomach/bottom. We don't have any issues, but my son has always kept his "spots" for a long time, regardless of site location. We change at 3 days, sometimes sooner.

8. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Mios or Quicksets

We love our Mios and have very little problems over the last three years. It seems once that we got a bad batch - two bad sites in three weeks!

It was strange since we really never had issues prior to that. I called the company - sent those back - even after pulling them so they could see the kinks and got a new box. Have you contacted Medtronic? Send the actually kinked sites once you take them out and they replaced them. Could you have a bad batch?

That being said, my husband swears by quicksets. He has used them for years. We used them at the beginning, but I liked the portability of the mios better. The quicksets are great if you like to stick with the spring loaded insertion (Which we do). THe only difference is you have a separate inserter that you have to keep with you to do insertion.

It is not a problem for my husband, but for my son, I like the all-in-one mios that I can keep at school for a quick site change in an emergency, and not having to worry where the inserter is. We tried sure t-s and silhouettes, but I personally didn't like doing the manual insertion.

Just some food for thought -

9. MomofSweetOne

Thank you everyone for your help!

It's been a while since she actually used the Mios (last spring), and one of the things I really liked about the pod this summer was the lack of site problems.

We'd been told at pump start she was too thin to use anything but Sils, but she'd gained weight, so I wanted to try the Mios. We've only used them in the butt thus far. We'll keep trying. I'd like to try the Sure-Ts, but I'm getting resistance. Of course, arm sites took a bribe, legs only happened because that was the easiest place for me during a wee-hours pod change:p, and she liked both once she tried them!

What is the difference between the QuickSets and Mios?

10. Gomod71

Gomod71 Approved members

We started on Sure T's when he was age 6, moved to Mios a couple years ago. You didn't say how old your daughter was but had some problems that were resolved when we switched DS to 9mm cannulas. We still have an occasional but rare random bad site. We use legs or butt area pretty much exclusively. (Save arms for Dex).

HTH.

11. MomofSweetOne

My daughter is 14. I just checked; we have the 6mm Mios. I would think shorter would have less problems, but you're saying the longer is better?

12. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We used to use the 6mm Mios/Quicksets too, then at some point my son just needed the 9mm. The 6's used to work, then stopped, then when we started using the 9's, we had no problems anymore.

13. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

Call and ask and they will send you samples to try of the others. I have used them all, but eventually became a die hard fan of the metal needles. They don't really hurt any more while they are in, hurt less going in, and never kink. By the time I switched, my body had figured out how to fold over any teflon cannula twice in a single cannula. Don't know why. Since I've switched, no problems. The only thing I don't like is that if they fall out, you have a sharp. But I usually just bend them over on themselves to dispose and it's fine. I've also been known to stick it right back in and tape it up until I can get home. Not recommended but a nice emergency feature.

14. Gomod71

Gomod71 Approved members

Try the longer cannulas - call and ask for samples. Your doctors may even have some. The 9mm made a huge difference and completely took care of problem (aside from random failure). As DS grew bigger and body changed, that was what was needed for him.

Good luck!

15. Mish

Mish Approved members

I just had a discussion with a few adult PWDs the other day. They are all fit people, so not a ton of fatty areas, and all swear by the longer straight in sets.

Quick sets and mios are mostly the same. Quicksets do not come with a self inserter, so you have to make sure you have a separate inserter on hand, or insert them manually. But both are made by Unomedical, so there isn't a lot of difference in the two.

The whole issue about "being too skinny for a longer set" is bunk, really. There is a fascinating slide in this presentation: http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/hcp/flash/skin_thickness/index.html (slide 10 - skin and subcutaneous thickness by site) and it sort of shows that for most people, even with low BMI, there is plenty of room for a 9mm set, but especially a 6mm set. :)

16. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Difference in Quicksets and Mios

We have used both - I like the portability of the mios.

Quicksets are also a spring-loaded inserter. The main difference is that there is a separate inserter that you purchase. You need this inserter for EVERY site change. We purchased two - to have an extra in case one was misplaced.

The only other thing that I found is that the quicksets sit just a small bit higher off the skin. It really isn't a big difference - but if you have a little kid and are using sites on the rear end like I was, I found they stuck up just enough to snag my son's pants. On an adult or larger child I don't think it makes much of a difference.

We liked both - but I hated having to keep up with the inserter. The mios were great (all-in-one) and just toss

17. MomofSweetOne

Two sample Sure-Ts arrived today from Medtronic. My daughter took one look and started yelping about no insertor. From there, she started figuring out her bribe to use one.:rolleyes: I did suggest that I just put one in during the night like when I wanted her to try a pod on the leg and she wasn't liking the idea (but had the grace to announce it was best when she woke and found it the next morning!), but she's declared that any trial insertion will be done by HER and not by a mom who gets dizzy with needles. She suggested that she deserves the big Lenny the Lion if she does, but I also saw her searching Amazon for rings. I think I goofed with the chocolate bar bribe for an arm site.:eek:

Or maybe we just had a bad run of Mios. This one is at two days without problems.:)

18. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I prefer the Mios. I like the all in one action, and ease of use. I switch between Mio's and Quicksets. I use, and have used Sils...but the last Sil I used I ended up with a minor infection at the site. In 5 years I have never had one, but for whatever reason...the Sils always seem to irritate me. I still have 1/2 a box left, but haven't decided to try one again.

19. Hstntxag

Hstntxag Approved members

We just had our second kinked cannula in a week... Super frustrated as first resulted in ketones and all the fun that comes with those. Luckily we caught this one quickly. The 9mm is a longer cannula? Is the insertion needle longer as well? I can't see switching to steel just yet but we are growing weary of wondering if the site is good each time we put one in :(

20. Mish

Mish Approved members

I think it's just a bit longer to cover the longer cannula, but the product info sheet from unomedical doesn't seem to say, one way or another. But it is the same gauge.

The fact sheet can be found if you scroll to the bottom of the page and go to the "fact sheet" link http://www.infusion-set.com/index.asp?pageid=H2300

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013