- advertisement -

Medtronic Enlight vs. Dexcom

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Riley's Mom, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Riley's Mom

Riley's Mom Approved members

So, where we live, Medtronic is the only show in town. They are the only company with a sales rep and pump educator. I know both of these people personally and they are wonderful and considered invaluable. We are just having a hard time choosing the best pump/CGM. The Threshold Suspend on the 530G is very attractive but how accurate are the sensors? From everything I've read, Dexcom seems to be much more favored. I guess I'm just wondering how important is it to have a local diabetes/pump educator that you can call at any time who will make house calls or whatever you need? We will be in the market for our first pump/CGM this summer.

2. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

5+ years with no local rep for either of my dd's pumps, & no Dexcom rep. We've had no issues that couldn't be handled via phone or email.

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I've never had a "sales rep" and wouldn't know what to do with them. All of my pump and CGMS decisions were made through our Endo.

You need to make your pump and CGMS decisions based on the features and data about the devices - not who you may know and like. We never considered the Minimed and honestly, when we were at pump night a couple of years ago, I heard a teenager say they didn't want that "DOS" pump (for those of you my age, you remember what DOS was). The Dexcom has been incredibly accurate. If you want someone who has done both, see if you can contact Darryl on this site. His daughter was on Minimed for years and "wrote the book" on ISIG. She's on Dexcom now. Personally, that would tell me something. I'm not sure low suspend is worth it for me at this point. The alarms on the Dex are very accurate and we catch lows when they are barely low and I wouldn't want a suspend of insulin.

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Dexcom you can figure out from the videos on their site. We never had any training from anyone. For Omnipod we did have someone come to the house for training but honest I don't know that it was really all that helpful from what you would get just going through the manual. We never had any follow up or needed to contact the person after.

5. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I've used Sof Sensors with the 522 and the 523 and Enlites with the 530g. Finally on Dexcom and I can assure you it's a world better.

6. Ali

Ali Approved members

funnygirl
    I have read so many different reviews and I have used all the systems except the latest Dexcom. Why is it way better, easier to use, the Enlites are super easy to insert, or just in general more accurate? I did not have good results with the earlier Dexcom sensors, but might try again with all the new ways to connect. Thank you for your response, I am coming up on being able to swap out all my systems on insurance:)
    Ali

7. suej

suej Approved members

We are 2 weeks into Dexcom after 2 years of Enlites (including second generation). So I do not have a lot of experience with Dexcom but so far it has been so much better. I was very grateful for Enlites as that was all that was available on our market but we found the insertion tricky - often the sertor would not release the sensor smoothly, and the sensors are very temperamental, and often faded away before 6 days. We do have the 530g but have never used the low suspend feature as I did not trust the sensor enough. We also only have sales rep and no clinical support but so far Dexcom has been a dream.

8. aprilodell

aprilodell Approved members

that is awesome, we have been dexcom for about 2 months and are loving it.

9. Riley's Mom

Riley's Mom Approved members

Thank you all for your responses! I am waiting on a call back from someone with Dexcom. She is currently a junior and will have one more year at home before she moves out for college. We hope to learn the Dexcom and then choose a pump next month and learn that too. The Threshold Suspend seems to be Medtronic's big selling point - and would offer me some comfort level once she is away at college. She is a heavy sleeper and I worry she won't hear the alarms. But if the sensors are not very accurate, what's the point?

10. suej

suej Approved members

I agree that the pivotal point is a reliable and robust sensor. Also medtronic's alarms are very quiet, Dexcoms are customizable and quite loud and you could get Dexcom share ( or nightscout if not available where you are). We have just hooked up to nightscout :smile: as share not available here and I am finally contemplating sleepouts.

11. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

The Dexcom is more accurate for me and more comfortable. The Enlites I'd be so ready to take out at the end of one week, and I'd have an itchy red bump. The Dexcom I can wear for three weeks and barely notice. The Dexcom is also easier to deal with. Alarms are usually true. It's not going to alarm asking for a calibration (except for the initial readings), you don't need to calibrate on a strict schedule or following strict rules, and there's no charging of the transmitter or separate inserter to deal with. The Dexcom's colorful screen also makes it easy to see what's going on at a glance. The range is also far superior on Dexcom. I had to practically have my pump over my sensor with Medtronic. I did not routinely use Threshold Suspend due to false suspensions. I did have one time where I was using that feature and I was skiing and I felt fine but eventually when I got back to the chairlift heard the threshold suspend alarm going off in my coat. I was legit low when I tested and already heading back up from the suspend, so I do think it saved me a problem at least once.

In the interest of fairness, Medtronic did have some advantages. I loved the extra data about the readings it provided on the pump- high/low, standard deviation, averages. I don't understand why Dexcom can't do that. I liked having the Medtronic transmitter store a few readings so if I was out of range for a bit, no missing data. I did like only carrying one device. And I liked being able to suspend all alarms temporarily if the readings were wacky or I knew I was high and really just wanted a nap without hearing it. I also miss not having to deal with a warm up period if you're restarting a sensor you've already worn.