advertisement

Medtronic customer service is HORRIBLE

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by twodoor2, Jan 31, 2014.

1. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Not only are the wait times extremely long to get someone to speak to, I had to call customer service tonight, which is a 24 hour service hotline, and after waiting on the phone for 1.5 HOURS, they hung up on me saying to call back later. Is this how they treat their customers who need these devices to work!??? OMG, this is awful. It was just her sensor, but what if it was her insulin pump that stopped working??!!! This is horrible.

I'm seriously considering leaving this company now. What other companies have better customer service (are there any??). This company makes so much money and I cannot believe they don't have enough people to take orders, or help others.

In any case, my enlite sensors keep dying early in the week. I think there's something wrong with the transmitter. Can anyone else get a hold of them at off hours, or am I the only one with such bad luck? Thanks in advance.

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

What is the ISIG when the sensor dies? Is it going into warm up mode and then requesting a meter BG? I had issues with the enlites; the ISIG would get too low so I would get a cal error. I was only trialing the enlites with the revel pump though. If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure their pump customer service is a different division. We had major issues with CGM customer service over the years but no issues on the pump side.

Dexcom has absolutely incredible customer service. Generally if you call at a busy time it will be a 20 minute wait or you can leave a phone number and they call back in 15-30 minutes. I had an issue with my receiver (it would lose the time/date and you would have to restart sensor) and they said if it happened a third time (it had happened twice at that point) they would replace it. I said I would be more comfortable getting it replaced immediately since I was leaving the US for three weeks in a few days. The rep very kindly agreed and I had a replacement in my hands by 10 am the next morning.

ETA: In my experience (3 broken transmitters over 7 years), warm up mode and then request meter BG is almost always a transmitter problem. Low ISIG is usually a sensor issue. You may need to request to speak to a supervisor though because Medtronic is really stingy with transmitter replacements.

3. twodoor2

I didn't check the ISIG, but I believe it was pretty low because the sensor gave a false low. It was 64 and in reality, when we checked her blood sugar with our very accurate meter (Accucheck Aviva), it was 174, so 110 points off. Yes, we get that same pattern with warm up mode, and request meter BG. I'm just hoping its not a transmitter issue, but I can't get anyone on the phone to talk to about this. Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

4. twodoor2

I got in touch with an operator for the main medtronic call center, and they couldn't help. She just told me that for emergencies and support, on weekends, they only have TWO people there. Can you believe it? TWO people to help out with support for all Medtronic customers with what I presume is North America (not sure about Europe, Australia and other Continents). So if your pump is screwed up on the weekend, tough luck. She agreed with me that this was horrible. I have a back up pump, her old one, and I was only calling about sensors, but you're literally on your own if you have something happen to your insulin pump on a weekend. They don't even give the option of leaving a call back number, or online chat, nothing.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Amazing considering they are a world wide company. Do they not take into consideration countries where they are 12+18 hours ahead of US time zones (meaning that even though they call on Sunday it's actually Monday in their country)?

I have to say Dex CS is excellent and Animas has always been good to us...

6. twodoor2

I have no idea, but now I'm seriously thinking about leaving Medtronic behind once her warranty expires. This is totally unacceptable.

7. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Well, hopefully they read these boards! We had something happen last night that has never happened to us before with the Omnipod. I had just put a new pod on a few hours earlier and her blood sugar was up close to 300. I thought it was the meal, so just had her correct and did an increased basal. I was planning on staying up in order to be sure she started coming down, but when she got undressed she could smell insulin. The cannula looked like it was in, but there was insulin wetting the fabric. When I took it off, the cannula was bent almost in half. I did the change and decided to go ahead and call it in, not knowing whether they would replace it for this reason. Got through immediately and they are sending out a replacement, not waiting for her next shipment. There were some long wait times when the new pods came out, but it seems to be back to the good service we have had for many years now. This was almost midnight on a Saturday night.

8. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

So sorry to hear you had this experience. I have never experienced this with customer service -- in fact, they've been very helpful. I would think it was just that particular rep. I would write them a letter if I were in your shoes. That was totally unacceptable.

9. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Sorry for your issues. I wonder if they only have 2 people at the call center but other people on call at home. I actually have never had issues with their pump customer service but they blamed every single transmitter issue we had on how we were taping it.

Maybe they are too busy playing around with their beloved diabetes bloggers (google #medtronicdaf if curious).....

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We were with Medtronic until June of last year, and we never had problems getting through to customer service, so I wonder if something has changed for them. Now once we reached the CGM customer service reps, my blood pressure would start rising, but that's a different matter altogether, lol.

Sorry you're having issues, Marsha. We had pretty good luck with MM compared to most people, but Dex sensors as so much more reliable and long-lasting, there's just no comparison.

11. bisous

bisous Approved members

You know, we've had a Medtronic pump since 2007. I really, truly have had a much worse experience lately with their customer service! I also found myself in the middle of the night waiting for someone to help me. I waited for an entire hour before the system just hung up on me! I called back and waited for a second time and ended up (all told) waiting for 2 hours and 12 minutes for help. We're pretty experienced pump users but in this case, it was a motor error in the pump and it was not putting out any insulin. I can only imagine my panic had this occurred near diagnosis. In my case, my call was started at 4am pacific time. That doesn't even seem that early to me, considering on the east coast it is already 7am!

We don't have Medtronic sensors so I can't speak to that. I've been VERY happy with Dexcom customer service!

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Jen, that is terrible! I placed a middle of the night call to customer service when we first started with Tandem, and I experienced no wait time at all. A 2 hour wait time in the middle of the night is completely unacceptable.

13. Mish

Mish Approved members

if it helps at all - Edgepark customer service is worse. LOL.