- advertisement -

Medtronic Canada is taking orders for Enlite Sensors today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Helenmomofsporty13yearold, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I just placed an order for Enlite Sensors. The shipping date is not yet confirmed, but they mentioned it will be around March 27. The cost is much more than the old ones. Regular price is 5 sensors for $349. They are on sale for $319 until April 26. They are justifying the price increase by saying you can use them for 6 days instead of 3.

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We would not be able to CGM if we had to pay that much!

3. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

If we don't receive some sort of insurance re-reimbursement I'm not sure how long we will continue to be able to use the CGM. :(

We've been fortunate to not have to pay for them since dd started the pump & CGM in October 2011 as we were involved in a study. Now I have to get my act in gear and see what kind of coverage, if any, we have. *crosses fingers*

4. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

The current sensor is good for 7 days. If the new ones actually last 2 weeks then it would be worth it, but if the change is just in the labeling, it's not worth it.

5. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

It is very rare for private insurance companies here to pay for CGMS. I would love to hear about someone winning that fight.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

That's a drag :( Where are you?

7. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

I am in Ontario, just outside of Toronto. Our provincial government covers pumps for all and gives us $200 per month for supplies, which is wonderful. The private insurers don't have to cover pumps and supplies and yet most still don't cover CGMS.

8. D A Morisse

D A Morisse Approved members

I just called the customer care number... there is a few options for purchasing the new sensors

The new serter and 5 sensors for $319.00 reg. price after Apr.26 will be $349.00

$700.00 Can$ Enlite starter kit incls...
    A new transmitter, serter and 1 box of 5 sensors and receive (free) 2 boxes of sensors of 5 (10) so a total of 15 sensors. The free boxes will be sent out the next month

auto ship 1 year contract

There are 2 options and If you sign up for either of these options you get a free minlink transmitter

#1 purchase 2 boxes of 5 sensors every two months $279 per box every two months. so a total of $558 every two months for a year total of 12 boxes for the year.

#2 purchase 1 box of 5 every two months $325. for a year total 6 boxes

The starter kit is quite a deal, especially if your current tansmitter is soon to be or already out of warranty (mine is almost 2 years old, but still working fine)

9. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Wow...the new transmitter deal is a much better deal. Thanks for posting. I was not informed of the options when I called in. Did they mention how long to expiry on the sensors?

10. Mary Jayne

Mary Jayne Approved members

I ordered this kit last week. They will send one box of sensors with the transmitter. Another box will be sent a month later and the last one a month after that. This is to avoid the sensors nearing expiry date. The rep told me that if I want the sensors held and mailed out even later to phone and they will hold them longer.

11. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

That's perfect. Thanks.

12. T-bird

T-bird Approved members

I use Enlites. They are virtually pain-free and very accurate but they are only good for 7 days. In my experience it is basically impossible to stretch them farther.

13. jozic

jozic Approved members

I just placed an order for 700.00 Starter kit and it will be shipped on Wednesday.
    We are the lucky ones that my husband's insurance at work cover 100% of sensors and transmitter costs since June 2007. It took couple appeals before they finally did it and no problem since then (knock on the wood).:)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  14. D A Morisse

Canadian sensor coverage

jozic, would you mind posting what company your policy is thru?

15. jozic

jozic Approved members

I can't remember what the initial one was, as my husband's work was switching them few times. I can try to find in original papers and back and forth correspondence that we had. At the moment his work group insurance policy is with Standard Life.

16. D A Morisse

RIP soft sensors

Customer Care informed me today that the soft sensors will be phased out in approx. 5 or 6 months
    Looks like we Canadians won't have any choice but to upgrade to the enlite sensors

17. Harryhannah

Harryhannah New Member

I am in Canada and I JUST WON THAT FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I submitted a cliam in December 2013 to have our CGM and sensors covered by my private health insurance. They declined the claim because they typically only cover a CGM when being used in tandem with an insulin pump, for which we do not qualify (A1C too high). After our last endo appointment, our Doctor has decided that an insulin pump will improve our A1C. I sent a letter to the insurance company from my Doctor requesting that the company pay for a pump. Today I found out that the insurance company will not cover the pump, but now have reversed their decision and WILL cover the Guardian CGM and the monthly sensors!!!!! I hoipe that I will get some sleep now :)

18. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Have you looked in to the Dexcom? It is vastly superior to the Guardian...