- advertisement -

Meds Carrying Case

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dumer, Jun 17, 2013.

1. dumer

dumer New Member

My 10 yo daughter was diagnosed a week ago with Type 1 diabetes. We are all still learning the ropes. My question today is regarding the meds carrying case. I have tried two and neither seem to be big enough, any suggestions??

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

What are you trying to carry with you?

When my son was 10, and we would go out, I put the following into a bag:

1. Meter
    2. Picker
    3. Strips (all three often in the meter case)
    4. Glucagon
    5. Juice box
    6. Snack
    7. Glucose tabs

If we planned to eat, I would fill a syringe with insulin and put in a glasses case to use. Insulin never did well being dragged about in the bottle.

A small bag held it all. Some use a small backpack.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We use a small backpack (found in luggage section at Target I forgot brand but it's a perfect size, not huge) or I use a Vera Bradley purse that has lots of compartments for stowing stuff.

4. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

http://www.fifty50.com carries some very nice neoprene bags that are vary nice and well made. Just resist the temptation to get anything cute as they are very durable and since we bought Jared's when he was 5 he would not carry it any more once he got older and wanted a plain black one we still have the one with rockets which looks new even though he carried it for 5 years.

5. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I'm sorry for the diagnosis, but glad you've found CWD.

We've used handbags, mini backpacks...basically anything that caught her eye. We have several mini backpacks in different patterns, & she's currently rotating through those. Journeys has some nice ones. We try to catch their online sales. The minis are usually half price, around $13.00.

6. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

We also like the Vera Bradley purses and hipsters ... the hipster has just enough room for meter, glucose tablets, cell phone. The purses also great as they have a lot of pockets. My daughter also uses the mini cooler by Vera Bradley but I don't think they make these anymore. We always buy them when they are retired and you can get good prices.

7. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My 10 year old has a bunch of small purses that she can put her meter case and some candy/sugar in (maybe glucagon) for when she's just out and about, but with no eating.

But, when we went on vacation last week and had to carry insulin in frio packs with us all day every day for a week, I ordered this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BZUWIS/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was big enough to hold two frio pen sleeves in the mesh side and in the other side we fit: her meter, alcohol wipes, pen needles, plenty of smarties and fruit snacks, and glucagon (the glucagon made it a tight fit, so I took it out and threw it in the bottom of the other bag). It's about the length of and twice the width of my wallet so not too big. It's nice because it's grab and go and can fit right inside another bag or be carried by itself like a clutch. We normally don't have to carry lantus with us (but since we were out until 11pm at Disney, we did carry it with us this time), so the glucagon would fit nicely in the mesh pocket with the humalog pen any other time.