advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medical form for Texas DMV for drivers license

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by Hstntxag, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Hstntxag

Hstntxag Approved members

I looked through the threads and found posts regarding whether to disclose Type 1 status when a driving test is taken but can't seem to find anything about where to find the form to have ready for the DMV to avoid having to come back the next day after the doctor completes the form. I saw one for CDL drivers ...anyone have info to alleviate the DMV from turning my son away on the day of his drivers test?

Thanks!

2. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

My dd was not required to submit anything from her dr. The license application simply asks about medical conditions that could impair driving ability, & a single question about insulin dependence.

3. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

usually they have to complete a questionnaire that has info....in CA I don't remember anything re insulin dependence...only questions re losing consciousness, and re impaired driving ability...

we did not indicate type 1 diabetes...but did not answer any questions inaccurately...

4. Michelle'sMom

Actually, the specific wording in TX asks if you have diabetes requiring treatment by insulin.

The first question concerns medical conditions that may impair driving ability, along with a partial list of conditions. Diabetes is not listed. Further down the application it asks if you've received treatment for any other serious medical condition within the past 2 yesrs.

We answered truthfully.

We were cautioned that that dd's application could be singled out by the medical review board, but it didn't happen.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I've yet to see anyone in Texas that has had to submit anything "extra". Once they asked me how many units a day I used, but they didn't ask when I renewed the last time.

IMO this isn't something that is worth risking lying about or omitting from the application... it's better to have it on your record in case of an emergency situation where it might be helpful, than to potentially get in trouble for having NOT disclosed it.

6. Michelle'sMom

There was one form I didn't mention. Because the answer to the application question about diabetes requiring insulin was "yes," she had to provide more info on the supplemental medical history form. That form asks for info such as dx date, hospitalization & whether or not she's still being treated.

7. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I'm also stumped. My state's DMV website is a hot mess, and I'm having trouble seeing what additional forms I need to submit with my permit application because of my diabetes (is it only a doctor's note saying I'm safe to drive? a full physical? etc.). I'm lazy and really don't want to have to make multiple doctor trips (my school just told me that my PPD is going to expire, so I have to drag myself back to my primary for that and my annual physical, and I don't want to have to go back two weeks later for them to perform the exact same physical), but at the same time I don't want to set myself up for a criminal offense/lawsuit if I do not disclose my diabetes status.