- advertisement -

Medical alert ID help

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rakgyk, Apr 29, 2012.

1. rakgyk

rakgyk Approved members

Until now Gavi wore a silicone medical id bracelet on his ankle, but it broke! I guess that will happen when he pulls on it. Any advice what kind to get? I don't think he cares as long as he can wear it on his wrist or ankle. I would prefer waterproof, but as long as he would wear it I don't care what it's made of! And if there is engraving, does it eventually wear off? I found one bracelet that's waterproof with a waterproof card to write the information on. If anyone has that one, do you like it? I just need to get one ASAP, I don't feel comfortable without him wearing one.

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

3. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

www.n-styleid.com
    this is where I got bracelets for my son and he loves the different designs - he gets to choose each morning which one to wear for the day

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Both my boys wear medic alert bracelets. They are fairly indestructible, they stay on, and I love that a first responder or doc can get all their info (including how to contact me and their docs) with one phone call.
    They're more expensive than some of the others, but the confidence for both the and me is well worth the money.

5. rakgyk

rakgyk Approved members

momof2marchboys- are the clasps durable? Are the bracelets adjustable? Is the engraving on the outside of the metal piece or on the opposite side? Does the engraving last or does it wear off? I like that he would be able to choose the design.

6. momof2marchboys

The clasps on the woven type bracelets are plastic - depends on how hard he is on things, we did have one break but I figured it would over time. the engraving is on the backside of the metal piece - medical alert symbol is on the top side
    So far the engraving has lasted on ours - we have had one of the metal pieces since Feb. it is black in color
    I have three metal pieces and about five of the bands on hand right now
    and switch as he wants to change them or as I think they need to be changed - one got really dirty in the mud the other day and I just ran it under some water and it dried really nice.

I did do one of the plastic bands on the first order but my son has a tendency to chew on things when he gets nervous so he chewed on that one but has not chewed on the other ones

I figured for the price they were a good start to get him to wear something and he loves the designs and shows them off - he is 6 and stubborn so it is important he likes it or he won't wear it

7. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

Maddie has had the same one for the past 3 1/2 years. It hasn't broke and she is active.

8. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

9. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Is anyone concerned that the "cute" designs look too much like regualr bracelets or jewelry, esp. for girls? DD wears the plain metal medic alert bracelet (as does ds for peanut allergy) b/c I'm afraid anything nice looking might get overlooked by paramedics. I want it to be super clear that this is not decorative and is a medical ID, not jewelry. Anybody else concerned? Do paramedics "notice" this stuff?

10. momof2marchboys

The Paramedics are trained to look for anything that has the medical alert symbol on it - tag on a shoe, a clip on a jacket, any jewelry or tattoos -- I guess I took into account it has the symbol on it and it is visable for anyone to see with out drawing alot of attention to the fact that they have a medical condition especially for those that don't want everyone to know they D or someother issue.

11. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

Yes!!! My husband is a paramedic and they are trained to look for the Medic Alert type bracelets. It's not that they deliberately overlook the other types, but like you said so many people wear those silicone bracelets that a medical one is easy to miss. My son (D and peanut allergy) wears the standard Medic Alert for this reason.

12. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

When I said they are trained specifically for the Medic Alert bracelet, I should have included they shoe tags etc. I respect anyones decision on what type of identification to wear or not, but in an emergency situation I want the kind that sticks out for my kid. As my husband says, anyone and their brother has some kind of bracelet or tattoo. I can understand not wanting to draw attention to a medical condition for some people though

13. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Thanks. I know ppl like to wear cuter things. The medic alerts come in different colors. But I get the kids the plain meddle ones with the symbol in a dolor of their choice. It's fool proof, difficult to get off and virtually indistructable. They wear them on their non-dominant hand and are easy to spot, and not just by paramedics. I get some ppl want more privacy, but I want every adult who interacts with my kid to know they have peanut allergy. Maybe when they are older they may feel differently, but right now, we go with the standard.

14. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I always wonder, is there a "standard" arm to put the bracelet on? DS's migrates back and forth, but I have always wondered if there is a better arm for it.

15. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

Good question! I don't think so, but I really don't know. We put Tyler's on his non-dominant (left) arm, but that's just us.

16. rakgyk

rakgyk Approved members

I ended up ordering more of the silicone bracelts, and 2 regular bracelet to see which one he will wear. he helped pick them out so I hope he will wear them. One has a tiger patterned band a silver tag with the medical alert symbol on it with the necessary information engraved on the other side of the tag. I also ordered a velcro waterproof sports band with waterproof carder I can write necessary information on to slip inside the band. The band is orange and it says 'Vital ID Inside' with the medical alert symbol on it. I ordered them from this site http://www.my-medical-id.com/ I had a few questions about the bracelets and the person I spoke to was a huge help.

17. steph

steph Approved members

medical IDs...are they really necessary? my daughter is not yet 2 and we have not gotten her an ID yet. my husband says he doesn't want a label on her that says i have a disease, and when she is older she can choose to wear one. and she will always be with people who know of her condition. but i think it's not a choice, that it's to keep her safe should something happen to the caregiver she is with. i wanted to get her some cute bands for her birthday bc she likes wearing bracelets and jewelry, but he thinks that is not the type of thing that is a gift.

18. lynn

lynn Approved members

I bought one for my son on the way home from being diagnosed. He was two years old at the time and I was strongly encouraged to get him a bracelet. Car accidents are a very real possibility. If I am unable to speak for him then his bracelet is there to let the medical personnel know that he needs his diabetes cared for. He has worn a bracelet continuously for over six years.

19. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I'm with you. I think medical ID is a necessity, not a fashion statement. Yes, she is always with responsible people, but children wander away from their parents, and parents can become incapacitated as a result of sudden illness or injury. Your daughter is too young to make her needs known; she doesn't even know she has needs.

I say get her something cute (and there is a lot of really cute stuff for girls!) that doesn't scream "sick" and upset your husband. And don't get it for her birthday if your husband thinks it is an inappropriate gift--just get it to have it.

Let's face it, his attitude about this is all about him coming to terms with her diagnosis and not about what she needs or how she feels. It's not a matter of blaming him or giving in to him, but about working with him until he becomes more comfortable with something that, like it or not, is a part of your daughter's identity now.

Good luck!

20. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

The thing that convinced me is when the CDE pointed out that in a car accident, I could be unable to advocate/speak for my son and you want the paramedics/hospital personnel to know about it.

Yes, your daughter is always with responsible people who know. But a medical ID is for true emergencies, and in true emergencies those responsible adults may not be able to speak to them.

IMO a medical ID is not an option, especially in a child so young who can't speak for herself.