- advertisement -

MDI question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MEVsmom, Nov 21, 2013.

1. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

We just started MDI this morning. In general, do you have different carb ratios for different meals or is it the same for all day?

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

We found that my daughter needed a smaller ratio (more insulin) at breakfast, but the rest of her meals and snacks were the same ratio. It's the same way with pumping actually - 1:10 at breakfast; 1:15 rest of the day.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Same here.

4. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We have 1:3 breakfast, 1:5 lunch and 1:10 snacks and dinner.

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I have different ratios but a different trend than most. This is on a pump though....

12 AM- 6 AM: 1:24
    6 AM-11 AM: 1:28
    11 AM- 4 PM: 1:20
    4 PM- 12 AM: 1:14

ETA: I know I have no experience with MDI. I just wanted to post to let you know that their are people out there who need more insulin at night rather than in the morning even though I believe it is a bit unusual.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  6. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

on MDI we had 1 ratio for meals. 1:15, this worked fine for us.

Now on the pump she normally has different ratios depending on the time of day, but they're not big differences. Example right now all her ratios are either 1:10 or 1:9 (tried 1:8 but she went low, and 1:10 she went high)

7. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

We had 3 different ratios when my son was on MDI. We started with just one, then went to two, and the last week he was on it we went to three. he's also at 3 on his pump. 1:15 for midnight to 10am, 1:18 from 10am to 4pm and 1:10 from 4pm until midnight.

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Different, In our case...YDMV

Breakfast is the most, lunch the least, and dinner is somewhere in between...:cwds:

9. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

That's what I figured. I'm pretty positive she will need more insulin at breakfast. Just wanted to know what is typical.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think it's normal to need more insulin in the morning. But right now, I believe all of our ratios are the same.

11. wilf

wilf Approved members

We found that after we moved the Lantus to mornings, she needed less insulin for breakfast because the Lantus would pull her down the equivalent of a couple of insulin units of Apidra. Other meals are the same ratio. Snacks at night need less.

12. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

We are currently doing Lantus at 6:30 p.m., moved there and reduced because of nighttime lows. He now will wake in the 100 range if he goes to bed around 130 - 150. (Wondering if this is good management?)

He is on a 1:14 for breakfast or he'll be low by lunch. After that, he's on a 1:10 all day. Wondering if our breakfast ratio is because he's doing Lantus at dinner? Still working on that.

I'm new, but I'm gathering that it is normal to have different ratios, but that those ratios can vary between T1Ders.

Cathy
    mom to Wm, age 11 dx 9/18/13
    mom to two non-T1Ders, college students

13. kt_mom

kt_mom Approved members

We're also very new but I thought I'd comment because we also have a different ratio for each.

She's at 1:15 for breakfast, 1:20 for lunch and 1:18 for dinner. She seems to need a little less at lunch because she has recess right before lunch.

14. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

DD just turned 8. We just started yesterday morning, but they have us doing 4 units of Lantus in the am and a 1:25 carb ratio all day. I have a feeling that will change pretty quickly for the am. Of course yesterday our Dexcom started screwing up. It needs to be changed out after school so I can get a better idea of what is going on. We started off the day on Wednesday highish, but not high enough to correct so I dont' feel like we got off to a great start.

I know all these people with tight control on here will gasp, but we woke up right at 200. I gave her 2 units of humalog for 31 carbs (already breaking the rules), she had a free snack at 10 and at noon was 186....not where i want to be, but we are only two days in so I am trying to just deal with it until I can atleast get through a few days and e-mail numbers to the Dr.

15. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

That is very good as far as the Lantus goes :) Breakfast is usually higher because of hormones. Your doing great :)

16. MissionsMom

MissionsMom Approved members

My ds was diagnosed in March, and we've been changing ratios all over the place. We left the hospital on 1:15 for all meals, and since then have been everywhere from there to 1:40. Currently breakfast is 1:18, lunch is 1:25, and dinner is 1:18. Don't worry about the meals being different. Adjust to what's best for your child. :)

17. GChick

GChick Approved members

I tend to vary things a little from time to time... but I find that when my BG is "good" my ratio is mostly consistent (1:15) throughout the day. However if my BG is high in the morning, I will have to increase my correction dosage to help bring things down moreso than any other time of day.

But even given that though... will sometime still add a little bit extra in the morning even if sugars are "good" as ~sometimes~ (though not all the time) will indeed run a lil bit higher if I don't.

18. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Our first endo had us on different ratios but now they are all the same. We always do low GI for breakfast though that's why she doesn't need more insulin during that time. On the pump it was different but I don't really think it needed to be. It's about 1:21.

Also, on lantus she has a rise at night between around 8 or 9pm to about midnight so we offset that with a covered snack... just in case you experience that too.