- advertisement -

MDI question - and when to give rapid

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by chkpea, Jan 21, 2010.

1. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

We have always given his novorapid after he eats. If he needs a meal correction I will give that before he eats and then cover his carbs after he eats. I am now thinking that I should be giving him insulin for 1/2 of his meal carbs before he eats and then follow with the rest after he eats. Does anyone else do this? I know that it is not ideal as I would be upping his shots. Thoughts?

2. CaelinsMommy

CaelinsMommy Approved members

We normally will give the bolus and correction (if needed) prior to the meal or as we're sitting down. Caelin is a pretty reliable eater though and I don't go through a lot of food struggles. If your son isn't a reliable eater then it makes sense to dose for the carbs you know for sure he'll eat and then an additional dose for any carbs eaten above that amount. :cwds:

3. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

we've always done shots before meals, but Campbell is pretty good about eating. He was dx at 9, and he is a good eater.
    If you can pre-dose, it will definitely help with spikes, even if it's only half up front and the rest after.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

Is he a really picky eater, or pretty reliable? Assuming he's not a total finicker who will get stubborn and not eat for hours, I'd start giving the full bolus just a few minutes before the meal.

A lot of people worry with boluses "what happens if I pre-bolus and my child doesn't eat their meal"?

Well nothing much happens. If you give the insulin just before the meal, then it hasn't even starting working for the first 20 minutes. Even after an hour, only about 1/4 of the bolus is working if you're using Novorapid.

So let's take a worst case scenario - you make a great meal and pre-bolus for it, and the little guy turns up his nose. Maybe eats a bit of bread and has a glass of milk or juice. Well that's about all he needs to cover the first hour of the bolus anyways. And as time passes he's going to get increasingly hungry. So maybe you give him a second chance at the meal after 45-60 minutes, or if it won't keep then you give him some other healthy carb food choices.

I have to say I don't envy those of you with youngsters, but knowing what I do this is how I'd approach it if I were in your shoes.. :cwds:

5. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

wow, this really helps. I am going to try this starting today. He is somewhat unreliable and to be totally honest, I usually am one to put too much on his plate and make sure he eats a healthy amount but if he doesn't finish I don't push it. I am not a believer of the cleaning the plate. But we do need to work on these post meal spikes, especially breakfast.

6. diabetesgoddess

diabetesgoddess Approved members

My son was a terrible eater and it took years to get him to eat what was put in front on him. Now I can't keep him out of the fridge!
    We were having a terrible time with post-meal spikes. Nothing was bringing him down. I went back to reading Pumping Insulin and was told that insulin needs to be given 20 minutes prior to the meal. We started trying to give before meals and what a difference it makes!! If you can inject everything, if you can't do the half now and half after to cover what he does it. It makes a huge difference.