- advertisement -

MDI - Do you log, if so what?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Val, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Val

Val Approved members

Curious, for those of you on MDI, what do you log? BG checks, food, shots, snacks?

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

When my son was on MDI, I logged all of the above.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We did all of the above.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

On MDI we logged BG checks, food (both carbs and what was eaten), insulin, activity, sickness, and anything else that would help us figure stuff out. Actually, we logged all of that for about 1.5 years on the pump too. Until I had enough one day and realized that I would lose my mind if I logged one more number and just quit.

5. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We do MDI (again) and I log. I just need to see things my way to see patterns. Downloading meters takes too long plus since we use 4 or more of them it would be a big hassle. I have my own logsheet that allows me to see a week at a glance and all the breakfasts or lunches or whatever are lined up. But mostly I just write down bg, Levemir doses and sometimes notes if there was lots of exercise or weird food.

6. Lightly Salted

Lightly Salted Approved members

We log all of that here, too.

7. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I liked using the "detailed Logsheet" Gary Scheiner offers on his website
    http://www.integrateddiabetes.com/logs.shtml

Entering the data according to the hour made it clearer for me to see where changes needed to be made. I shrank the logs a bit so I could put 5 on one page and get a good picture of most of the week. I found it important to log activity, "pigouts", illness and even when she was emotionally upset.

8. Lightly Salted

Lightly Salted Approved members

Oh, good idea to shrink it for more per page! I use that one, too. May have to try that next time I print.

9. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

We log BG, carbs and dose amount. For awhile, I logged where she gave the shot, but then we named parts of the body (breakfast arm, lunch arm, dinner leg, snack leg, correction belly, lantus in the bum) and I stopped noting that. If I am guessing on carbs I'll make a note, and if part of the dose is a correction I'll note the correction amount, too but that's about it. I keep the log electronically on Blue Loop, so I can look at everything by the hour, the BGs are color coded for high and low, etc.

10. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I don't like log sheets that just say breakfast, lunch dinner, snack, etc. What if breakfast is at 6 am? Or what if it's not until 10? You can hardly compare the two. For us it doesn't matter as much which meal it is, as much as what time of day the food is eaten.

So what I did is make an excel spreadsheet. There is a place to record BG, carbs, and insulin given. Those are the most important things to record, for us. I record hourly instead of by meal of the day. There is a tiny bit of space in the margin for extra notes like if we ate pizza or did something active that day, but not much (if you want a whole week to fit on one page). Or you could use a separate sheet for notes like food eaten or exercise. The boxes are small, but it works for me.

What I like about that is I can see patterns of highs or lows a lot easier based on the time of day. Or if highs/lows are at random times, I could see that easily, too (you can even highlight them in different colors to make it even easier to read). Since a whole week fits on one page, it has all the numbers in one place, making patterns easy to spot without having to flip through lots of pages. And, if you have lows in between meals/snacks, there's a place for that to be recorded.

It also has a place for overnight checks.

I'd be happy to email you the spreadsheets (I made a few different ones). PM me with your email address if you're interested. (That goes for anyone, not just OP.)

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Same here.

This is a very simple one:

Attached Files:

12. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

we have a notebook in the kitchen where we note BG readings, amount of insulin given, and time. oh and food eaten and carb amounts. but we really only use it at home, so anything she eats outside of home (like lunch at school) is not in there. I'm going to try out some of the sheets posted in this thread, would be nice to see a week at a glance.

13. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I logged meticulously for about 2 years with A--bg, carbs, food, insulin, corrections, activity, illness. I had a binder of log sheets and at the end of the week I would transfer it all to my computer, colour code everything It was a beautiful. I was so proud of myself at our endo visits. :)

Then one day we had an endo visit and things had been hectic at home and I didn't have a chance to transfer all my info and make it look pretty. I apologized when I handed over my scribbled notes for the past 3 weeks to the CDE. She just laughed and told me not to worry about it. After the visit I realized I got the same amount of feedback as I always did. And then I realized that I was no longer really using the logs to make changes...it had become sort of second nature. So I stopped. It was very freeing.:cwds:

Now with both my dds having d, I use a date book to keep track of changes to I:C ratios, Lantus changes and problem foods. The info is on the correct date and easy to refer to. I also write my notes from endo visits in it.

14. skyblufig

skyblufig Approved members

Everything. :)