- advertisement -

max bolus

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by C6H12O6, Aug 2, 2014.

1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

If you have set a max bolus and your carbs / correction have exceeded the max bolus what do you do ?

Is max bolus intended more as a safety feature where you set it as an amount that you would likely only enter by mistake ? I have thoughts on the issue because I have been pumping since 2005, but I was curious what other people thought.

I recall with animas it even has a max insulin in an hour feature where it would stop you from blousing if you reached that. I don’t even know if I remember the feature exactly, but that was even more annoying because there was no easy way to override it.

2. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

Mine has always been set for something ridiculously high that I would only ever enter as a mistake/is the max I think I could eat if it were an error. Very very rarely, I'll be high, sedentary, sick and binging simultaneously. Then I usually just do two boluses in a row. If it's the max basal I've hit, you have to change the setting. It happens so rarely that I think its worth the double check "are you absolutely sure you want to bolus 15 units with 2 u/hr basal? Or did you mean 1.5?"

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I don't remember what I'd set it to, but I recently upped it on a high carb day that caused it to alert. But, it's a safety issue. I set it for a couple units higher than typical high.

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I don't really worry too much about the max basal, actually come to think of it it mine is set very high.

With animas I seem to recall it having a feature where you could reach a max from all source in the course of an hour, and if you reached it the pump would suspend your basal. But I am probably remembering that slightly wrong. I just remember it created an issue a few times, and I was too lazy to even go in and change the settings.

I just have this unpleasant memory of that terrible song that pump played by default, and it was super embarrassing when it did that in public.

Please don't get mad at me animas people. I am just having flashbacks to that awful song, yet somehow I wish I knew what it was called so I could listen to it on youtube.

5. mocha

mocha Approved members

I think it's the first few notes of Für Elise.

6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

thanks for answering. it sounds nice at the moment in this format :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mVW8tgGY_w

I know it can be changed, but when I got it the software essentially went missing in my crap because I could not easily use it because tech support just told me it does not work on windows 8, and offered no help.

7. mocha

mocha Approved members

Oh, I like the song on the piano, but I think my pump has given me a Pavlovian response to that song, generally a sigh followed by pushing buttons through my pockets. And I've never been able to get different tunes to download to my pump, so you aren't missing a whole lot.

8. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

matt requested we put his pump to the max on the max bolus, which is 25 units for Medtronic. Teenage boy, and hollow legs means he can pack away ALOT of carbs at one sitting, sadly, sometimes going past the 25 units it allows. In which case, its hard to get him to remember to put in the rest of the amount of insulin he needs. Work in progress.

9. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

If the vibe plays that song for low and high alarms / predicted low alarms etc that seems like a big design flaw.

Also, the tune while super annoying / attention grabbing / conspicuous fails to convey any urgency to those around you (like if you were having a bad low and needed help). It just basically embarrasses you.

Maybe I had it too loud, but the one time it went off it was super embarrassing, and I was obligated to explain what it was.

10. dianas

dianas Approved members

I had my pump replaced under warranty a few months back and first thing I did was change all the alarm types to vibrate. I too get sick of Fur Elise. It always occurs at most inconvenient times.

I can't recall needing a bolus dose larger than the max limits on either Medtronic or Animas even when I've been on steroids and if I did I would probably just bolus twice.

I also set the basal and bolus max limits pretty far out. Enough to prevent major errors but that I don't have to reset if I'm sick or on steroids which isn't often but not something I want to reprogram during the worst of a severe asthma flare. I think only once did I hit the 2 hour limit I think if I remember right all I had to do to unlock the pump was raise the limit. The defaults for the 2 hour and daily are normally fine for me so it took me a while to figure out what was wrong though.

What pump did you go with finally? Medtronic?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  11. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

We used to have it set to 10u. That quickly changed when school started and her basal doubled. Now it's set to 25 u because honestly there are some days she hits almost 21 (a lot of crappy eating in the summer). I'll probably put it back down when school starts again.