- advertisement -

Matisol vs. skin-tac

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lizzy731, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Has anyone had experience with both adhesives? We are currently using mastisol but Bethany's skin had been quite red recently after her pod removal. I ordered some samples of skin tac as it is more for sensitive skin. I am wondering if it will be as strong however as I have no problems with the mastisol keeping her pod on. Can anyone tell me which is stronger or which they prefer? With skin tac, have you used the wipes or liquid?

Thank you!

2. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

We use the Skin Tac wipes and they work pretty well for Aaron though an infusion set is probably easier to keep on than the pod.

I do use Mastisol to glue down peeling-up tape edges but I find it mucky stuff to work with (spilled half a bottle on my wood dining room table once -- THAT was fun!).

3. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

We use Skin-Tac every time we put a site on, with no problems and no skin irritation. We have the pump, not the pod, I don't know how much of a difference there is.
    We've never used Matisol, never had to, the Skin Tac works for us.
    I hope Bethany's skin heals quick, that stinks for her!
    Just checking... Are you using Uni-Solve to remove the old site? Always clean up after the uni-solve, and don't leave that stuff on the skin. Look at what it does to the site :eek: for removal.

4. Lizzy731

Thanks for the responses...we didn't use unisolve last time because we thought it may be that but the same thing happened. We ordered some samples and will try the wipe and liquid.

Thanks again.

5. munsonklein

munsonklein Approved members

We had a similar experience with Mastisol. It works really well, but it seemed stiff, and once it got wet didn't stay on as well- we gave up on it when summer came around with its long hours in the pool. Now we use the Skin Tac wipes, and haven't had a site fall off since then, or even start to peel off. Like HollyB said, if you spill Mastisol you're in big trouble- I nearly ruined a pair of pants trying to get it off. I find wipes way easier to work with, and to carry around for emergencies. It amazes me that Skin Tac is so strong while also being gentle on the skin and very easy to remove compared to Mastisol, but that has been our experience.

Cathy

6. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

HI,

We have only used Skin tac up to this point and have been wondering the same thing about mastisol. We love the skin tac, it really holds well through hot, hot days, and sweat and rain and water. Then for removal we have her take a shower immedietly before hand. Sometimes, it still pulls the skin a bit to remove but after about 10 minutes the redness is all gone. We do not use any other remover besides the water as of this point.
    We actually have mastisol but then i heard about the free sample of skin tac and that came a lot quicker then the mastisol so we tried that first and I am sold on it. We have so far only used the liquid, not the wipes.
    Good luck,
    Allene

7. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

We use the liquid Skin Tac and have NO trouble. Like Allene, we have the mastisol but have never had to use it.

We initially used Tac Away adhesive remover wipes to remove the old site but then I took a tip from another Mom on here(sorry, don't remember who to give credit to) and went to Walmart to buy a bottle of Desolve It. Found it by the furniture polish section. It works AWESOME for removal(it also says for use on skin and hair right on the bottle). It is a large probably 12-16 oz bottle and you use just enough to soak the site.
    I soak the old site, insert the new and by the time we are done, the old site peels off and Tori doesn't even feel it. NO redness, NO skin irritation whatsoever and no trying to scrub off a gummy mess!! Then I just clean the skin with a washcloth.

The remover wipes we had, did not have enough liquid in one wipe to get the site soaked. As spendy as the wipes are, I hated having to use 2 to be effective!!
    The Desolve It has been WONDERFUL.

8. Lizzy731

Thanks alot...I'll try it! I was reading up about it online and apparently they use it in the neonatal units as it doesn't irritate the preemies skin.