- advertisement -

Marrying a T1

Discussion in 'Spouses and Significant Others' started by risha, Jan 6, 2007.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Congratulations on finding such love!:) There are obviously cultural things going on here that I am not familiar with. However, your parents should know that marrying a man that is "healthy" when you marry him does not mean that he will stay healthy. That man could develop cancer a year after you are married. He could have an undiagnosed heart defect or any number of other medical problems that will come about in his lifetime. He could suffer a horrible accident that leaves him maimed. No one is guaranteed good health. You know upfront that your sweetheart has a medical condition that can be successfully managed for a long and happy life. This is part of who he is, but only a small part. Diabetes can ABSOLUTELY be managed well so that you can life a perfectly normal life. Your family should seek out some RELIABLE information about diabetes through real research. Check out the American Diabetes Association website or the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation web site. There, you will find out what living with diabetes is truly like rather than rumors and scare tactics.

Does your cardiologist uncle advise against marrying people with heart defects?? That can be much more devastating to a life than diabetes.

My niece has had diabetes since she was 2 years old. She is now happily married with 2 beautiful, healthy kids and has not one complication. She has been in the hospital maybe once or twice in her life. Her sister, also T1, is married and participates in triathalons. They live wonderful, full lives. They do everything that anyone else can do.

I hope my son is lucky enough to find a woman like you one day when he is grown. Please don't let this hold you back from sharing a life with the man you love. No one knows what the future holds...for any of us. Do not live your life wondering "what if." Marry the man you love. Be happy!:)

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

The OP hasn't been back since 2007.

3. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Ooops!! Didn't look at the date!:eek:

4. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

My husband was Dx with diabetes while I was pregnant with our first son. At the time we were not married. Many of his family members were affraid I was going to leave him :rolleyes: that thought never came to my mind. I was also a bit insulted I love him thats it no Dx would change it. Its not his fault. Sure I worry about him from time to time but I want to share my life with him. Sounds to me your family need to allow you to love who you love and butt out. I will also say marriage is hard, dont give up EVERYONE has ups and downs. I believe everyone needs support from outside sources (like famil and friends) and if you dont get that from your family dont share your life with them. This is your life, remember that and best of luck to you with your love!

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Keep in mind that the issue is important, but this original posting was made over 4 years ago. The OP was last on this site 03-10-2007.

6. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

HA oh-well hopefully everything has worked out for her!!!

7. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

Ha, I just read about the last post date- all i was looking at was the join date.. duh.. anyway this is a great topic.. I wonder how it worked out for them.. In regards to kids.. talk about it, see what his desires are, he will know if he wants to have kids or not. Do you want kids? You both need to be on the same page before the wedding in regards to kids and every other part of life. People get diagnoised with all kinds of diseases everyday, you cant possibly predict the future of anyones health.. I think a lot of parents don't agree with their kids marriage choices d or not, so go with your heart, its your life_ if you choose to move forward do it whole hearted.. have no regrets.