- advertisement -

Marching Band!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Teacups, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

Ds had 8th grade band night last month with the local high school marching band. Basically they got to march onto the field, stand in place and play 2 songs, lol. He loved it!

He's not the most energetic kid, and I wondered what he'd think about marching band - with the long practices, the marching, dance moves etc. etc. But he watched one of their practices of a detailed routine and he would really like to march next year! So proud of him for taking this step, pun intended. :D

Anyway... just wondering how those L-O-N-G, hot summer practices and extended school days will affect his blood sugar numbers. Looking for anyone who's btdt. So far we've only dealt with on-stage performances. No sports or other regularly physically demanding activities.

So, any "bandos" out there?! :)

2. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh just finished her first year of marching band.She loved it! Our school starts marching band in the 8th grade. This is also our first year that 2 7th graders were invited to join. She marched in all the pregame and half time shows. Practices were long. I think the longest they ran was around 5 or 6 hours. They started practicing in July and practiced every day until the first football game at the end of August. And then they had periodic practices during football season too, usually for an hour after school.

during summer practices I made sure she ate something (usually i fixed a meal for her). and of course had juice, candy,or something for low blood sugars. She also took snacks incase she needed them. we did not do any temp basals because during practices she was running high (she tends to run higher during summer months anyway. But drops lower during the school year)

Once school started we did have to do temp basals during game time. We ran a temp basal of -50% (or 50%) however your pump reads it. from about 5pm-10pm. THat may sound like a lot, but if we didn't she'd drop low. Here's a link to Ashleigh's first half time show. She's in the front row near the 40 and 50 yard line. She's wearing glasses and plays a brass colored marching baritone. one of the flute players is also a Type 1

BTW she's made a lot of new friends, that she never would have met if she didn't do marching band.

Part 1: http://youtu.be/98AAeKDxSRI

Part 2: http://youtu.be/CeA9G-F2oVg

3. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

Thanks for the links - I'll watch them w/ ds! He plays oboe but will have to learn flute or percussion since it's my understanding oboes don't march.

I'm sure it'll be trial and error with getting basals right, and lots of extra testing, but I'm glad to know it can be done! He does great with his d-care, but we've had kids pass out (neighbor's dd for one!) due to heat exhaustion. It will be harder for me than for him on those long band camp days, lol.

I need to connect w/ the hs band director in advance. Surely he won't be the first T1 to march at his school. :cwds: