- advertisement -

Maple Salmon Bites

Discussion in 'Recipe Exchange' started by Nightowl, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Nightowl

Nightowl Approved members

Maple Salmon Bites

1 Cup Davinci sugar free maple (pancake) syrup
    1/3 Cup soy sauce
    24 ounces skinned salmon fillet
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Canola oil

Cut salmon into bite-sized cubes. Combine maple syrup and soy sauce in bowl and add salmon. Make sure salmon is fully immersed in marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. I actually like to marinade in a gallon sized zip lock bag.

Preheat oven to 500°. Cover baking sheet with foil and grease with olive oil. Place salmon pieces on baking sheet. Grind black pepper on pieces to taste. (The pepper isn’t too strong and it really makes the recipe.) Cook for about 3or 4 minutes. Serve immediately.

You could use other low carb syrups. The Davinci tastes great and it has zero carbs.

2. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Nightowl,
    Where does the canola oil come into the recipie?

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Maple glazed salmon is sooo good. I use plain ol' maple syrup since only a smidge is left on the fish after marinating. I also add a bit of lemon juice and garlic powder.

4. Nightowl

Sorry about the oil mix up. I use olive oil on the baking sheet, not canola oil. Danismom79, I agree - who can resist salmon cooked this way. I think the taste appeals to children too.

5. twodoor2

How many carbs do you think with the real maple syrup. I want to try this, but I'm still ambivalent about artificial sweeteners (sorry:eek:). Also can you grill the salmon insted of baking?

Nightowl,
    Can you also give your recipie for mock mashed potatoes, and some suggestions for good low carb recipie books.

Thank you so much!!!!

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Seconding this motion :D Thanks.

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

The maple syrup has 53g carbs per 1/4 cup, and I use half of that, so it works out to about 27g carbs that I brush a filet with, assuming it all stays on the fish. Then that gets cut into 4 portions. I mix the oil in with everything else to help coat the fish with the other ingredients. Then I spray the cooking dish with pam to cook.

It does well grilled or broiled too. It makes a very nice crust because of the syrup.

8. Nightowl

Mock Mashed Potatoes

Here is a great recipe for Mock Mashed Potatoes. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/george-stella/mock-garlic-mashed-potatoes-recipe/index.html

When I am in a hurry, I do a variation of this as follows. Put head of cauliflower (cut away greens and stem) in covered bake dish with a little water and microwave on high for 10 minutes. Put cut up pieces of cauliflower in blender, add ½ cup almond milk, ½ teas. powdered garlic, 2 T butter, and salt and pepper to taste.

Here are my favorite low carb cookbooks:

Eating Stella Style Low Carb Recipes for Healthy Living, by George Stella
    George Stella’s Livin’ Low Carb, by George Stella
    500 Low Carb Recipes, by Dana Carpenter
    200 Low Carb Slow Cooker Recipes by Dana Carpenter
    15 minute Low Carb Recipes, by Dana Carpenter
    Six Ingredients or Less Low Carb Cooking, by Carlean Johnson
    Great Tasting Low Carb Recipes, by Publications International, Ltd.
    The Low Carb Cookworx Cookbook, by Mary Dan Eades, MD and Michael R. Eades, MD
    The Low Carb Comfort Food Cookbook, by Mary Dan Eades, MD and Michael R. Eades, MD
    The Low Carb Baking and Dessert Cookbook. by Ursula Solom
    Everyday Low Carb Cooking, by Alex Haas
    Extreme Lo-Carb Meals on the Go, by Sharron Long

9. twodoor2

Thank you Nightowl for the recipies and book suggestions (will check them out on Amazon). So THAT's the mystery ingredient in the mock mashed potatoes, cauliflower. Hmmm, interesting. I was dying to know what it was.

I appreciate it.:D

10. Mymeagan

Mymeagan Approved members

thanks, this is a great recipe