- advertisement -

Many kids with diabetes have other immune diseases

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by monkeyschool, Apr 21, 2011.

1. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

2. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Amanda is IgA deficient...and I myself have an Immune Deficiency called CVID...but I am not type 1..

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

My nephew we just found out is IgA deficient, can you tell do you know if there are different levels of this??

They said he is 10% deficiect.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Another question, is IgA def. an "auto immune" condition, or is it just immune system def.?

5. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

When DD was dx they asked for family history. When we told them no D1 or D2 in the family they asked if we had anyone in the fam. with ANY autoimmune disorders (that we have no idea of, none that we know in the immediate family) - the big one they said was rheumatoid arthritis bec. there is a link somewhere.

The article seems to take the approach that Ds are more likely to have other autoimmune disporders, based on the history questions it make me wonder if they know the likelihood of people with other autoimmune disorders that are more likely to develop D. (meaning are the D people more likely do dev. D, or are the other autoimmune disorders increasing the likelihood for D).

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well, I think it is safe to say that if a person has an autoimmune condition that yes they are at an incresed chance of thier body making another mistake and attacking something else creating another conditions. This is why most endos test for Celiac and thyroid at annual bloodworkups.

I started a thread awhile back about autoimmune issues whithin our families let me find it. It had allot of insite to the issue.

Here it ishttp://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=61003&highlight=autoimmune