- advertisement -

Managing Diabetes and D1 Basketaball

Discussion in 'Diabetes and College' started by Alex_Waters, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Alex_Waters

Alex_Waters New Member

While the two subjects may seem quite diverse... let me explain my situation.

I have had Type 1 Diabetes for a little over 15 years now and i have met many obstacles in those 15 years. One of those bigger obstacles have been what i call becoming a "duel-manager." I first started managing basketball in high school and i have been so fortunate to be able to continue that part of my life in college, especially at a school that has a rich history in basketball. (WKU)
    During practice a manager can be asked to do about a million different things, and one must stay on top of things, including my diabetes. During practice i could just be sitting filming or i could be out on the floor being nearly as active as the players.
    To combat whatever I am doing i have certain therapies i will conduct to try to lower the chances of a low. Whether it be drinking a Gatorade before practice, a temp basal, or lowering the amount of insulin i take for meals before a practice... it just differs from day-day.
    Road trips can often be the most difficult to deal with, the long bus rides or plane trips followed by the big meals eaten on the road, to the rush and stress that comes with gameday, it is difficult to not forget to keep active control of your diabetes. I have been fortunate to be very sucessful as a duel-manager, ive had some slip ups with being low or forgetting a bolus, but some way i have managed my way to good health and important member of the team. (Behind of the bench of course) :)
    While I may not be an Adam Morrison i hope that my story shows to others that Diabetes shouldn't get in the way of what you want to do, it may not be easy but with a strong support base and help from friends you can manage anything you want.

2. joan

joan Approved members

Thanks Alex. Its great getting the information from someone whose been there. My son will be entering college in the fall and is planning on playing lacrosse. The road trips, the large meals all have me concerned as well as night time lows. I hope he manages as well as you.