- advertisement -

managing children with diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lillian0909, Apr 4, 2011.

1. lillian0909

lillian0909 New Member

Hi everyone,

My name is Lillian and I'm a student at the University of Queensland in Australia. We're currently conducting some preliminary research looking at ways to better manage children with diabetes whilst they're away from their parents.

We're at our initial stages of the project and would love to hear from parents/teachers of children with Type 1 diabetes with regards to the following questions to help us grasp better background. Any other comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Kind regards,
    Lillian

1. How do you currently monitor your child's blood glucose levels (BGLs) whilst they're away at school, camp or sleepovers?

2. What are the major difficulties with the current method of monitoring your child's diabetes whilst they're away at school, camp or sleepovers?

3. In what way could this process of monitoring your child be made easier for you and your child?

4. How often does your child monitor their BGL (at school)?

5. Is there a need for you to be able to know your child's BGL in real-time? Why?

6. What are the main difficulties that you face when sending your child to school?

2. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I've communicated with Lillian. Her post is fine.

3. txmom

txmom Approved members

Hi Lillian,

My son is 16 and manages his D largely on his own.

1) He monitors his own BG at school and when he is away on trips
    2) The biggest difficulty is worry that he is not testing often enough
    3) We are getting ready to move to a CGMS which should help him stay on top of his numbers
    4) My son tests 2-3 times a day while at school - unless he is having an abnormally low day in which case he tests as many as 8 times during the school day.
    5) I trust my son to monitor and manage his BG numbers, it would be great however to have something that I could look at whenever I am worried that he is not paying attention.
    6) The main difficulty at school is handling the out of the ordinary situations, like the onset of sickness, mis-judging carb counts at lunch

Hope this helps - I suspect answers from parents of younger children will be more beneficial.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

1. How do you currently monitor your child's blood glucose levels (BGLs) whilst they're away at school, camp or sleepovers?
    We talk via the telephone or he texts me the number.
    2. What are the major difficulties with the current method of monitoring your child's diabetes whilst they're away at school, camp or sleepovers?
    The teen doesn't remember to call or text.
    3. In what way could this process of monitoring your child be made easier for you and your child?
    My letting my son manage as well as he can, without my assistance.
    Once at lunch. Occasional other times.
    5. Is there a need for you to be able to know your child's BGL in real-time? Why?
    I no longer need to know in real time. At one point, I would call the school office every day. Now he feels his lows and is pretty consistent in his blood sugar levels.
    6. What are the main difficulties that you face when sending your child to school?
    Making sure he has all his supplies with him and his pump won't run out of insulin during the day.

5. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

Hi Lillian -

Child monitors self using regular meter. We hope to switch to CGM soon.

Night time numbers....they may be low and child may not be checked or awaken during a low. Someone would actually have to be checking at night.

Immediate alerts when levels are too high or too low would offer peace of mind when the child is away, particularly while sleeping.

Before/after snacks/meals

Yes, at night. For piece of mind while the child is sleeping. To alert of any issues.

None to any activity during the day. Sleep camps are my primary difficulty.

6. Trev

Trev Approved members

Well the older one 13 manages well independently, she also texts when at sleep overs. I have ensured her friends are advocating and educated in the basics, lows, insuloion reminders, etc.

Honesty, I have checked her meter and the meter doesn`t lie.

My younger type 1 who is 6 we do not leave any where, so our issue is more no break for us parents as she is a pumper.

Having CGM coverage or Dexcom product availability in canada

13 yr old - herself
    6 - herself and her teacher

The awareness of their BG level trending down or up
    Safety
    Our 6 yr old is completely hypo-unaware

Time taken to increase awareness, and educating the staff.
    Frequent communication with the school, not a difficulty but essential for safety.
    Some schools are more accomidating then others.

7. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

My son is 10 and a little over a year into this. We are currently MDI (multiple daily injections) but we will be switching to a pump at the end of the month. I'm not sure how the change will affect my answers below.

- While at school he tests in the nurses office and she communicates via email daily on what his numbers are. When he sleeps over at a relative's house they log every number in his logbook. He can take his own BG but he is not managing them at this time.

-The major problem right now is I don't trust his ability to monitor them himself so he has not spent the night at a friend's house.

- Hopefully when we switch to the pump I will be able to rely on him more. Since the pump will calculate insulin based on carb intake and blood sugar all he will need to do is be able to count the carbs he is going to eat.

- He tests at least 3 times a day at school. He will have a morning snack, lunch, and an afternoon snack. There might be other times when he doesn't feel right as well.

- At this point I don't feel I need to know his BG in real time though I would like to just for my own peace of mind. His nurse at school is very competent and can handle any situation that arises so I don't feel that I HAVE to know in real time.

- My main difficulties with sending him to school is just making sure that other people, besides the nurse, understand possible complications and know how to react to them. We have had a hard time getting the PE teacher and aides to understand.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Lillian, may I ask what the project is about? What your end goal is and for what course of study this project is being done?

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I agree. It is nice to know exactly what it is for. Anyone can sign up here, say they are a student doing research, and start collecting information about our children. I never respond to these types of solicitations, but that is just me.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  10. lillian0909

lillian0909 New Member

Hi! I understand your concerns and please be rest assured that this information is being collected solely for research project purposes. I have liaised with Steve and explained to him the scope of our project. We are a group of students from the University of Queensland (Australia) undertaking a postgraduate course in management of research and development. As most of us already have a background in diabetes research (I have just recently completed my PhD in preclinical diabetes research), we decided to pursue this topic further for our project.

Our intention is to gather the main concerns that parents of children with type 1 diabetes face and hope to develop a product/service that would help to address these issues. Having already spoken to a few parents face-to-face locally, it appears that some of their main concerns included not being able to adequately manage their child's blood glucose levels whilst they're away from them, teachers/other carers/the child themselves not having a good understanding of the what to do in situations of a hypo. Hence, we would like to explore this issue a little further and hope to gather more information on how other parents felt about these issues. We're still in the very preliminary stages of our project, but ultimately we hope to develop a product that allows parents to track their child's BGL status real time and perhaps incorporates individualised 'management guidelines' for teachers/carers to follow in the event of a hypo...

I hope this brief outline would give everyone an understanding on what the project is all about and thank you for those who took the time to answer these questions. I really appreciate your help!

Kind regards,
    Lillian

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

There are already devices to track bg levels in real time called Continuous Glucose Monitors. And the best way to treat any and all episodes of hypoglycemia is to give fast acting carbs, or in the case of unconsciousness, injecting Glucagon.

But thanks for explaining and good luck with your project.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  12. lillian0909

lillian0909 New Member

Hi Christopher,

Many thanks for your comments. We are aware that the CGMs and others of its kind exist (although not widely available in Australia) but from my understanding, if the kid is away at school or on camps, it still doesn't allow parents to track how their kid's BGLs are as it doesn't directly relay this information back to the parents. Parents would still need their child/carers/teachers to take the initiative to email/text/call them and let them know what the current readings are.

Kids who are a little younger and/or not completely competent at managing their own BGLs often rely on teachers/nurses to assist them whilst they're away at school. In case the teacher wasn't too familiar with the management, we were hoping that our product would be able to prompt them on what to do if BGL is at a particular value. Our ideas on the exact specifications of the products are still very preliminary at this stage and that's why we need to gain a better understanding of what the parent's main concerns are in order to be able to develop this idea further.

Kind regards,
    Lillian