- advertisement -

Managing 3 Type ones

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Trev, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Trev

Trev Approved members

Hi there, I have type one and have 2 out of five children diagnosed with type one. Anyone else in a similar predicament? Hope to hear from you.
    http://www.three2treat.com is where I share my experiences.

2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

That's awesome that you had 5 pregnancies with T1! There is a woman on this board who has T1 and two or three kids w. T1. I believe she also lives in Alberta

ETA I looked at your blog but I will leave my post as is even though I realize my fundamental error

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  3. Trev

Trev Approved members

Actually I should clarify

My wife is not type one, I am the dad with type 1. Cheers!:)

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I was reading your blog about the cost of D. I think all provinces have a provincial drug plan. In Ontario, the deductible is 3 percent of your household income and it covers strips, insulin, and most prescription drugs.

It does not cover ketone strips of any kind or syringes/ pen needles or lancets.

Pumps are a separate program, which covers the cost of a pump every year, and 2400.00 per year towards supplies. There is no deductable, as a result of this program private insurance no longer covers pumps in Ontario, but will pay out on the cost of supplies above the 2400.00 mark

5. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I have 2 type 1's (in case you didn't guess from my name : )
    Sometimes it can get crazy with 2 d's! Regge (on here) has 3 type 1's and is herself. She amazes me!

6. Lisa1001

Lisa1001 Approved members

I have 2 Type 1's also.

7. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

BC has a deductible based on income for Pharmare, and doesn't pay pumps or pump supplies/ And we pay a monthly fee for Medical Insurance(I get mine deducted off my pay check be weekly so I don't feel it as hard!) I also pay for 2 crummy extended medical plans, for so so coverages

8. Noel

Noel Approved members

We have a father and son type 1 duo here....

Only one other child but doesn't have type 1.

9. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

I am type 1

with 3 boys all type 1 too, we all pump and use CGMS

10. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Hi Trev and welcome to cwd. I only have one with type 1 but I am also in Alberta so I thought I'd say hello. There are a lot of people with two or more on this site - you all have my utmost admiration as my little guy takes up all my time and energy.

We are extremely fortunate - my employer provides an incredible insurance package. I have no idea how we could have coped with the expense of this disease otherwise - even if we hadn't gone down the pump CGM route the cost of the strips alone is ridiculous.

11. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

Hi Connie...

I was told that for children under 18 in BC, pumps are free?

12. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

The hubby has t1d and my beautiful babe. We're hoping that's where it ends :)

13. Trev

Trev Approved members

I want to thank-you!

Hello everyone,
    It is unfortunate that Diabetes exists, but it sure is nice not to feel alone, Thanks.

14. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

Welcome from us as well... We have 2 type 1 kids... our son was diagnosed last month, our daughter 3 years ago... You certainly aren't alone here!!!!:)

15. Trev

Trev Approved members

Nice to meet everyone!

It is nice to know we aren't alone in dealing with this D thing! Cheers to all, and hope you and your loved ones good health.