- advertisement -

Man Purse

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Junosmom, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

To build independence in his D management, son is responsible for making sure six things are in his "go bag", which is currently a canvas fanny pack. He will not wear it and doesn't like it because of the bag itself.

Looking for a man purse, messenger bag, or tear drop backpack to replace it and as a Christmas present. Would like some division inside or pockets so that supplies can be separate from snacks. Found a leather messenger bag I know he'll like, but no division inside and it was $90! On sale! Maybe worth it if it is going to live with us everywhere we go?

Son likes to be stylish - for example, in the summer, wears a white fedora - and would want something stylish.

Any ideas?

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Check out the Swiss Gear brand at Target either in store or online. We've found some nice bags there for my husband to use over the years.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Just a warning that this independence step may disappear as he grows some. My 14 year old is knowledgeable about all areas of diabetes management and has recently taken on calling companies herself at least 50% of the time, but being responsible for the bag is where she has drawn the line. I asked a friend who is a MSW about it, and her response is that she's obviously telling me that the 24/7ness of diabetes is more than she wants and that the bag is her limit. I stopped worrying because I know she knows how to pack the bag and what needs to be in it.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I can see why he wouldn't want a fanny pack.

I'd take him to the local Army Navy store, Target, even a good thrift shop if you have one and let him pick something out. I would not give a D bag as a Christmas gift. JMHO.

5. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

6. glko

glko Approved members

I agree with other poster about not making diabetes related gear part of a Christmas gift. My dh has had type 1 for 29 years and he would be livid if anything related to diabetes was given as a gift. It sounds like your son has some fashion sense so would go to the types of stores he likes to shop in to see if they have anything that would work for him. My ds is very outdoorsy so my dh found him a camo bag at Cabella's that is used for hunting gear - ds loves it and carries it with him without complaint. Also keep in mind that things that matter to us such as compartments or organization may not be important to our kids, what is important is that he will like it enough to carry it with him.

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

I wouldn't over think this. Get something as normal looking as possible that looks like any other small backpack - cheap string bag is our go to here. Bonus, we have about 10 freebies that we've acquired over the years.

He's a pre-teen boy, he's not going to care about pockets to keep things organized. You want things organized. he won't care. :) You really want this to be the easiest thing possible, if it's really about his independence. Dump everything in the bag and go.

I'll also say it's probably not the best idea to give it as a gift for Christmas.

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I think, if it were me, I'd let him help pick it out. Even if you did it in that vague "I get it, you hate the fanny pack. If we were going to get something else, what would you like?" kind of way without making any promises. That way you'd know for sure he'd carry it. For the heck of it, I went on ebags - if I were a boy, I'd probably like this one: http://www.ebags.com/product/kennet...gage/canvas-day-bag/147294?productid=10009955

Meanwhile, my daughter mentioned awhile ago that she'd like a new t:clip for her pump and said "maybe for Christmas". I got several free ones in a variety of colors from my t:slim rep and have been hanging on to them to give them as a little stocking stuffer. Is that bad, too? Maybe I should just give them to her - not as a gift.

9. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Something like this?
    [​IMG]
    Check Ebay ;)

10. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I let her pick what she wants to use for her "kit". We've switched around a bit. Currently she's using a Harvey's seatbelt clutch. It was pricey but she has to haul it around everywhere so for me it's worth it. Plus it's heavy and sturdy for all the throwing around she does with it.

As for gifts - I wouldn't give a kit as a gift, unless it was something extra ordinary. I'd put the clips in the stocking I don't think that's a big deal. Mine has specifically asked for diabetes meme t-shirts for Christmas the last two years.

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

12. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

Thank you for all the great replies. I will show him your suggestions, and let him pick it out. Yes, perhaps it shouldn't be a Christmas present, though I wasn't thinking of it as a surprise under the tree type of present. Because he wants some specific (non-D) things this year, he's not going to have many surprises but will be happy with Christmas presents. But, I understand, and good thinking.

I understand also this might change as he gets older, but right now, he will get his bag, load it, and be ready to go. He just always mentions - "I hate this bag" so I wanted to fix that. I see his responsibility for it just like getting his gear ready for tae kwon do - if you forget some piece of it, you can't do your class - just because it won't be safe. He gets that and it is a big motivator.

Funny the things that he notices - yesterday we switched to Novolog. The pen is bright orange inside. "What???" he said. "That is sooooo COOL!"

Thanks again!

13. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

DS has had 2 of the LL Bean Carryall Guide Bags, and he loves them. (As much as you can love a diabetes kit):). I wasn't able to include a link, but should be easy to search on their website.

And re whether this should be a Christmas present, I wouldn't hesitate putting it under the tree as just another gift. But I wouldn't make it "the" gift.

14. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Frankly, I don't understand why not..... My DD will get a new metallic pink tallygear and Juicy Couture cosmetic bag for insulin and extra pods (we call it extra D bag). For Christmas. And it will make her happy! :)

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Maybe it depends on the kid, and maybe it depends on the age at dx and maybe it depends on they type of gifts one normally gives at the holidays.

For my kid there is no novelty in D stuff, even the sparkly kind. Giving her a designated D bag or pump pouch would be like giving her underpants or gym socks - necessary, but not particularly fun.

16. minniem

minniem Approved members

My DS has this bag too. He likes it and we do too.

17. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

My husband has one of the string back pack type bags, I see others have suggested that too. Looks sporty and not like he is carrying a "bag"

18. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My son is 11 and completely unaware of fashion - but he does have a style that he prefers to wear. For him, the best option is a belt. He wears a Tallygear belt every day. He's done SpiBelts and cases with carabiners for his belt loops, but the Tallygear (the non-Velcro style) seems to have stood the test of time. I'm not sure what your six items are, but DS carries his OmniPod PDM, a cannister of test strips, a pokey, a roll of glucose tabs and his Dexcom receiver in it. With the loose fitting clothes that boys his age are wearing, you can really only see it when he is jumping for a rebound at recess or when he tilts it to check his CGM.

As to Christmas gifts - I would go with whatever your son thinks about it. My daughter would not be bothered at all by getting diabetes gear for Christmas. She considers her bags/belts/clips/purses as accessories and would love a new sparkly thing to carry. My son wouldn't ASK for anything (DD has and does) but if he got something, he'd think about it as pretty equivalent to getting socks. Which he does get. :p