- advertisement -

Making the switch...Omnipod to Ping

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by timnshann, Oct 20, 2010.

1. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

Well Blake has been on a saline trial with the Ping since yesterday and he is convinced he is ready to make the switch.
    He was thrilled with the size of the site and the fact that he can disconnect.
    All this time he was afraid of the tubing but he says it is no big deal.

He is 8, young yes, but diabetes experienced.
    He has to wear it and control it so I am leaving most of the decision up to him.
    This is a major switch for us since the Omnipod and Ping are so different, so although I believe that the majority of the decision is his, I am incredibly nervous about it.

Here is my question:
    Is a 3 day trial enough time to really get a feel for a new pump?

Any complaints about the Ping?
    My biggest one is having to enter in the bolus amount after the "suggested bolus" is shown.
    Seems like little fingers could make an error there.
    Has anyone had this happen?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  2. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We have been pinging for just over 3 months now. We love the Ping. You will love the remote access with the meter. My DD handles her pump like an experienced texter. I swear she has the fastest fingers in the west when it comes to adding her BG to her pump and bolusing. She is careful and hasn't made any mistakes yet. It is super easy and not hard for little fingers at all.

3. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

My daughter has been on the ping since she turned 8, and she can operate it quite easily. She hasn't made any mistakes, other than I ask her to do a combo bolus and she does a normal bolus, that type of thing, that isn't such a big deal. The extra steps in the ping are not a big deal for a child, either, it is us adults that find the extra button pushing annoying! Overall, we love our ping.

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

The Ping is a dependable pump and Animas customer service is generally very good. This is our 2nd animas pump. (No omnipod experience)

William is 8 and is learning to do his boluses but doesn't yet bolus everything. He still transposes his numbers sometimes which is NOT good when bolusing or entering carbs, etc. (does no one else's kid do this?) We are so used to dialing in the bolus that we don't think twice about it.

Did you pick an infusion set?

Spibelts are great - William loves his.:)

5. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My DD started pumping with the Omnipod (6-8 weeks). She didn't like it, and we had a lot of issues with it. She asked to trial the Ping. She knew immediately it was the right fit for her. 2.5 years later and she still loves it.

She uses the Dexcom, and I've asked once in a while if she would switch back to the Omnipod if they integrated a cgms and Animas didn't. She said she'd never go back.

Just her personal preference, but she was positive she'd made the right choice almost immediately.

Good for you, listening to your child and helping him make the switch.

6. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

Andrew got his ping at age 8 and became a pro very quickly. We have to make him slow down long enough to get approval before hitting go, but he's always right. I trust him to run the pump when at a friend's house & he just calls home to discuss carb counting etc. I've never used the omnipod, so I'm not annoyed by the typing in the suggested amount. I like seeing how it makes the calculation, but sometimes I don't give all the suggested amount, especially if it is late & he's been active.

I asked Andrew tonigiht if he would want to switch to the omnipod for football so that he wouldn't have to disconnect. The other diabetic at school has the omnipod. I was surprised by how strongly he does NOT want the Omnipod. I hope your son loves the ping!

7. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Is 3 days long enough to trial a new pump?

We have just trialled a new pump after having a Cozmo for 5 yrs. I loved the new pump for the first week, I didn't even miss things from Cozmo that I thought I would... Then after 2 weeks I realized there were things I didn't like, couldn't work around etc and we won't be changing to that particular pump...

So yes maybe it is long enough, but maybe not too... :rolleyes:

8. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I don't want to hijack or anything, but this is why it frustrates me a little that some people go straight to the OmniPod without even looking at other pumps because of the tubing and perhaps some misconceptions about it. IMHO their doing themselves a disservice by not checking out the features of all the pumps before making a decision that lasts 4 years :cwds:

Anyway, good luck with whatever choice you make! :)

9. bradclark

bradclark Approved members

To the previous poster's point, why not do a trial of the Revel, as well? Spend a few days with each to really get a feel for them before deciding. With that said, you can't go wrong with either. Good luck!

10. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

We probably need a Missing Cozmo support group! Ryan is getting a Ping now that his Cozmo is out of warranty...I think he will miss it!

11. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Another way to look at it is, there are times it would be nice to own a conventional pump and there are times it would be nice to have the Omnipod. I assume you don't have to turn in your PDM. So, you can have the best of both worlds. But do make sure you like the features of the Ping.