- advertisement -

Major vent (apologies in advance!)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by beaniesmom, Mar 30, 2014.

1. beaniesmom

beaniesmom Approved members

Few people here know a little about me. I don't post much, I mostly lurk and learn. I feel like there are so many more parents who know so much more than I do. But I am at a loss here...

We use the Medtronic pump. I paid my portion and sent the rest of the bill to ex-h. He has yet to pay a dime. Because of that, our account is on hold. ON HOLD! We can not get any supplies! After Beanie's pump clip broke for the umpteenth time and I was told I couldn't even get a new one of those, a different lady was so disgusted, she went ahead and sent us one (she said she knew just how easily they broke and life without a pump clip is no fun). So now we're down to our last infusion set. We do have a dr. appt. in May, but they won't do anything about the situation until they've seen Beanie :rolleyes:

I don't mind shots until then (I'm not speaking for Beanie here, she might really mind), and I was thinking we'd just use her favorite: the CGM... HOWEVER, since it is out of warranty, it just stopped working. Can't replace it mind you, unless we pay the national deficit out of pocket... We live paycheck to paycheck, even with ex-h's insurance which requires an ungodly out-of-pocket to be met.

Rant over. If you have any suggestions, I will gladly listen and learn from them. Ex-h's advice, "can't you just go somewhere else and get her supplies from there?" Just pay the effing bill!!!!! (sorry)

2. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I would have no problems with putting beanie on the phone to dear ol dad..... "dad, beanie here, Im on my last set, and don't have anymore. Medtronic isn't going to send me anymore of my much needed supplies until you pay your portion of the bill. Please dad, my life depends on these sets, pay your portion of the bill so I can get my supplies. Or perhaps you dad, can get me some supplies from another source and bring them to me", (last time I checked, the sets were like, 300ish a box....)

try and look up some Medtronic reps in your area, sometimes they will give you some supplies for free. We have gotten clips and link meters from them in the past. sorry you have to go through this.

3. beaniesmom

Thank you so much for you response! I think that is perfect (if I could get Beanie on the phone with her dad...) But that is a great option and one I think he needs to hear. That way it's not coming from the "nagging" ex-wife!
    Thanks so much!

4. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Please contact your rep! we had a situation where we were running out of sets and couldn't get more for a week or so, and my mom called our rep and he came out of his way to meet up with us and get us some supplies. Of course I have animas so it might be different but it is worth a try!

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Have your daughter talk to her father.
    Be prepared, that it most likely will happen again. So have a plan in place.
    Talk to a lawyer, get the medical supply cost deducted from his pay check and have it go into an account specifically for that, and hopefully he can't have access to that account.

6. beaniesmom

He finally called Medtronic, didn't pay mind you, just worked something out. Then many shouty phone calls ensued between he and I. Many because I hung up if he wouldn't stop yelling. Not gonna deal with that. I called Medtronic then and they were disgusted with him and his lack of paying for his daughter's supplies. Of course he tried to turn it around on me, "they didn't have the right insurance information..." Well, if you would keep a job for more than 4 months, I could keep up with which insurance is current :rolleyes:

Anyway, Medtronic is sending emergency supplies (the lovely lady I spoke with has a child on a pump and was very understanding). I got the insurance straightened out (for now until he changes jobs again) and they are sending a shipment! Hurray!

On Beanie talking to her father: she has her own cell phone and he doesn't even have the number because she doesn't want him to have it. She prefers the miles between them both emotionally and geographically. I know she's 15 and these things can change. Some days I hope they do for her. But for now, I respect her decision to avoid him. She is a very good kid with an excellent head on her shoulders and I know she hasn't made this decision lightly.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I do love my "family" here. I can come here and vend about D and you all "get it". Thank you so much!

Oh, on a side note: we were considering the new T-Slim pump for Beanie, but after the customer service she witnessed she has firmly decided to upgrade to the newer Medtronic pump (the name escapes me right now).

Beach Bum, He is supposed to be paying for half of the kids' medical expenses per our divorce. Hasn't happened in 5 years. Maybe it is time to get that lawyer!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  7. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I'm glad to hear this is working out for you (for now, at least.) Aren't exes pains in the bee-hind?!? (I guess he wouldn't be an -ex if he hadn't been a pain while you were still married in the first place!) I'd definitely get that attorney; not paying his share of your daughter's medical expenses makes him a deadbeat dad in my book and deserving of any legal problems he gets himself into by not doing right by your daughter. I celebrated when my older daughter (whose father is my -ex) turned 18 and I no longer had to deal with as much of his BS... Good luck with everything!