- advertisement -

Magnitudes of BG drop at night due to exercise?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Jul 11, 2013.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

This is our first summer out of honeymoon (?) and are looking for BG/exercise patterns. keeping in mind, YDMV, I'm wondering if you have a good idea how much your child's BG can drop at night due solely to a day of strenuous exercise. I know there are lots of factors at work in BG moves, but I suspect the more seasoned parents are able to isolate exercise from carbs, insulin etc ... and guesstimate how much they would expect there child's BG to drop at night after a day of vigorous exercise. Also, how do you handle those nights? Send them to bed higher than usual (if so how much higher)? Run a temp basal (how much)? Thanks for any feedback!

2. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Wish I could help...seven+ years in it's a crap shoot every.single.night.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I wish I knew how to play craps!

Maybe if I put a pedometer or some other gadget in her that could quantify how active she is while away from me, I might be able to quantify aen expected bg drop.

4. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We're almost 10 yrs in and I find it hard to answer this question. We have definitely seen 40s at night (and the next day) due to exercise. Often they are hard to bring up so it is really less than a40 but we caught it on the way down. But lately my dd seems to go high at night after busy days. You gave to be prepared for everything.

5. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I run a temp basal and maybe leave her higher, and I check more often. Sometimes I'm off a little, sometimes I'm way off. I think this is one of those questions that will get you 50 different answers. Just check frequently and adjust.

The one thing I did learn was not to fully correct an adrenaline high. I would give half a correction and keep checking (seeing a pattern yet?).

6. coni

coni Approved members

Yep. Crap shoot. The only thing we've found that's fairly consistent is we need to reduce basals 50% across the board day and night for all day hiking in the mountains.

7. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

It really depends!
    DS has always played soccer and basketball and ran track - lots of running, sweating and dropping BGs - I learned how to deal with these sports and the outcome was somewhat predictable.

This year he tried baseball and I so surprised with his BG #s; crazy adrenaline highs in the 300's. He never experienced the adrenaline highs before and I did not handle them properly. When I corrected these highs, the results were so unpredictable - fast, crashing BGs that scared me; lots of sleepless nights. Towards the middle-end of the season, I finally got it and did not correct the adrenaline highs in the car right after the game aggressively!

Good luck!

8. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

We have no idea what activity is going to do to DD's BG. A vigorous activity like playing in bounce houses/trampoline parks makes her low during and directly after the activity for a few hours. Soccer games don't really affect her BG, even though she running constantly for close to an hour. Things like swimming for several hours seem to cause lows 18-24 hours after the activity, but not during or right after. These are trends we see, but it doesn't always work this way and we have no idea if they're actually going to happen.

It's hard to say what is ever going to happen :p

9. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

Like the others have said ... its a crap shoot!!

but having CGM makes it a WHOLE lot easier!!!! :D

10. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

I agree it is a crap shoot. Check often and adjust! I agree that the lows after activity tend to be stubborn so don't treat and go back to bed: check again. Lows are often followed by lows here. YDMV:cwds:

11. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Very hard to figure out. We have a standard pattern set for basals, then another pattern for days when she is more active. Will set up another pattern for schoold days to decrease basal before pe, and we will still get it wrong mostof the time so will be up 2-3 times a night checking. :rolleyes: oh how I miss a full nights sleep!