- advertisement -

Made an appointment....

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Megnyc, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

with a psychologist at the school health clinic today. I've been really angry with diabetes/other health issues lately and taking it out on my friends (mainly my boyfriend) and family. Just realizing that it is forever and I keep thinking that this wasn't supposed to be my life. My current method of self-medicating with alcohol and expired xanax (not at the same time) is clearly not a good idea either. I'm totally aware this isn't very rational since in the grand scheme of things my life is reasonably great and I really don't have much to complain about.

My intake interview with the psychologist is tomorrow so hopefully it will go well. They said after that I will see a psychiatrist next week to see if I need medication (I doubt I do...) and then we go from there. I was really impressed with the clinic at school though. They offered me a same day appointment and seemed really caring. It is only $10 for the evaluation and then $10 per appointment after that. They will bill my insurance but if they don't pay everything the school will just eat the cost.

There is no question here but hopefully posting this will keep me accountable and I will actually go to my appointment. I have made and canceled this type of appointment before but I think I really do need the help this time....

2. mocha

mocha Approved members

I hope it goes well! I'm glad they're really helpful (or at least, try to be). I know a lot of on campus medical stuff can be really terrible. Glad you lucked out!

3. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

Good for you. I cannot imagine facing any chronic illness without the help of mental health professionals once in a while. This is especially true of type 1 because it is so labor intensive to manage. We all benefit from support and sometimes we need more than other times. :cwds:

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I'd love to hear about how it goes.
    I went into therapy four years ago when a fifth diagnosis in under six months had me really questioning my coping skills and I'm still in therapy. So far I think it only helps a little bit, but every little bit helps.
    I am thinking I could use more help in that regard though, especially with dealing with new ongoing issues.
    Speaking of which- am getting more testing for apparent chronic pancreatitis and pancreatic insufficiency today; if you could shoot me a message about dealing with pancreatic insufficiency (esp what it's like to take pancrelipase) I would appreciate that.

I saw a therapist through my college shortly before and after my diabetes diagnosis and seeing him would really calm me down but it wouldn't last.

5. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Good for you for knowing when you need a little extra help. Everyone does once in a while but most are afraid to ask for it.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just wanted to chime in with a note of support and also kudos for identifying this issue and taking action to deal with it.

7. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

It went well I think. She just asked a bunch of questions and had me fill out some forms. I felt way better after but now feel all weepy and blah again. I have to go back next thursday.

I have a feeling next week will be better anyway with classes starting and life getting a bit more settled. This summer has been more than a little crazy with me working/traveling internationally and my family moving across the country and tons of other stuff. It will sure be nice to be in the same time zone for more than a week :cwds:

Jonah, I'll PM you tonight about pancreas stuff!

8. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I glad it went well for you!!

Sometimes the blah and weepy feeling is just the energy it takes to digest the whole process and everything that was said. My blah period generally doesn't happen until 3 hours later, or when I get back to my room. I try to schedule appointments on days that I don't have class just so I can process everything.

My psychologist (not through school) is one of the best people in my support team.