advertisement

Lupus Anyone?

Discussion in 'Thyroid and Other Autoimmunity' started by foxa71, Jun 18, 2011.

1. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

Anyone know someone with Lupus? I'm thinking Erin might actually have that too. She has a skin rash on her arms and it gets worse in the sun, she has heart pain, sensitivity to light big time, swollen lymph nodes... her doctor pointed out that her last visit but I didn't put it all together until now. :C hopefully not, but should get her in. I don't know much about Lupus. How bad is this disease?

2. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I don't know much about it, but your dd has beautiful red hair/fair skin. could that be cause for rash? and sensitivity to light

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

There is a whole set of tests via blood draw that your doctor can do to help determine if there is an autoimmune disease responsible for the symptoms you mention. I think lupus isn't always easily diagnosed but the tests can give the doctor some idea of what is going on. Seems like seeing a rheumatologist is your best bet because so many other diseases can also seem like lupus.

4. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

Thank you - she is very fair. I know I was allergic to the sun as a child that caused me to break into a rash, so I thought that it might be her problem too; however I don't want to just push her symptoms aside because of my own and miss something important. Her rash is different than mine though and on her face sometimes too.

I talked to her pediatrician about her heart pain. He ruled out asthma. I called her Endo at Children's Hospital and she suggested we try Clariton for now. If she's still having symptoms in Sept., she'll order blood work and send Erin to a cardiologist.

I've attached a link to the picture of her rash. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6856722&l=baf3f8f48a&id=715137343

The sensitivity to light has been going on for a long while. I thought since she has blue eyes. Hers is so severe at times though, not like anything that I've ever experienced. There's some mornings that even with the blinds down she cries that it's too bright. She seems to genuinely be in a lot of pain.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm glad you have a plan of action with regards to medication and further testing.

I have red hair and a sun allergy. I don't have any pictures at hand of my own reaction, but it starts off looking like this and if I spend longer in the sun the hives just come up more and more, until they are close enough together that my entire arm is swollen and red (no gaps between the bumps). Right now I can tolerate about 30 minutes in sunlight if I wear factor 70 sunblock and take a strong antihistamine (prescription cetirizine hydrochloride), but I mostly wear long sleeves. I took a day off meds yesterday and ended up with hives on my face from sitting by a window without sunblock on. The condition I have is called solar urticaria. May have no bearing whatsoever on your situation, but you know. :)

I hope you can get things sorted and that it isn't anything too serious.